It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA dismisses Myths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is from the New Orleans Local news site WWLTV. FEMA has gotten up and decided to tell us what roumers are fact and what is fiction. This should be intresting.

I am not sure if you need to sigh up for the site so I will post the entilre article. I am signed up because I live in the area and its my news station...

FEMA AID: Separating fact and fiction

03:31 PM CDT on Saturday, October 8, 2005

BATON ROUGE -- FEMA issued this second batch of questions and answers in an effort to dispel the "misleading rumors, half-truths and misunderstandings about available assistance" it says are floating around after hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Recovery officials say they are concerned that unreliable word-of-mouth in distressed neighborhoods and communities may deprive eligible individuals and households of vital aid from the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

“The last thing you need in a disaster is misinformation,” said State Coordinating Officer Col. Jeff Smith. “And the best way to avoid that problem is to call and ask for yourself just what kind of assistance is available to you.”

Residents who suffered damage and losses as a result of the hurricanes can apply for assistance immediately by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). People with a speech- or hearing-impairment can call (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Both lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week until further notice.

FEMA and the state clarified some of the most common misconceptions:

Myth: I received the $2,000 Expedited Assistance, now I won’t qualify for any other aid.

Truth: The Expedited Assistance you received was an advance of the total amount of assistance that you may be eligible for.

Myth: I did not receive the $2,000 Expedited Assistance, so I will be getting less.

Truth: If you did not receive expedited assistance, and if you are eligible, you can still receive the full amount of help through FEMA’s Transitional Housing, Rental Assistance, Other Needs Assistance, and Home Repair programs, and through the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

Myth: I have to return home before I can apply for disaster assistance.

Truth: You can apply from wherever you are at this time, whether you are staying with friends or family, or are sheltering with the American Red Cross or another organization. FEMA cannot help you until you register, so please register by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585, or online by visiting www.fema.gov.

Myth: I already repaired my home. I don't need to apply.

Truth: You might qualify for reimbursement of expenses not covered by insurance.

Myth: I have to know exactly what the damage was before I can apply or get aid, and I can’t get to my home to see.

Truth: If you evacuated before the disaster and know your home was in a disaster area, report there was damage. You do not need to know the details. It will be presumed damage resulted from the storm. Do not say damages are unknown.

Myth: I have to be present when the inspector comes to have an inspection.

Truth: If you are not able to return home to meet an inspector, you can identify an “Authorized Agent” who can be present during the inspection, such as a trusted neighbor or relative. After you register, a FEMA inspector will contact you to schedule an appointment, and you can discuss this with the inspector. If you do not have someone in the area who can represent you, the inspector can offer an Authorized Agent who is a FEMA employee who can represent your interests.

Myth: I have to be turned down by my bank before I can apply for a disaster loan.

Truth: If you lived in a presidentially declared disaster parish, you are eligible to apply for a low-interest disaster loan from the SBA. If the SBA cannot approve your loan application, you may be referred to other agencies for additional assistance, but that can't happen if you don't return your application.

Myth: I must own a business to apply for a loan from the SBA.

Truth: The SBA low-interest disaster loan is the primary source of federal assistance for long-term recovery for homeowners, renters and business owners. SBA covers uninsured or underinsured losses for real estate damages as well as personal property damages.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I bet you could file a claim for aid from FEMA and receive money without have been in one of the disaster areas.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Well as some of you know I stayed at my house , about 5 miles from the city of NEw Orleans, through the storm and the aftermath. Now we called FEMA the other day and asked for relief. Initally they had told the victims that if they needed financail support that was not imperative then to wait a few weeks (this was right after the storm) so like good people we waited. Well RIta came though and we waited another week and then finally called. We call and tell them We stayed and our major source of income has lost their job. We say that we do not have enough money to pay our mortgage (all true) and that we could possibly loose the house. FEMA tells us that because of Rita they have to spread their money out more and they cannot help us. They say that we are to call back when we loose our house.

But it looks like ginger has found a job making even more money than before as an Programer for our local hospital. SO we really dont have that problem any more.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
mizar, I would still go after funds. if you get them and you don't need the money, you can always donate to a local charity that does. Odds are the money will be doled out in a poor manner and funds will wind up in the wrong hands. Keep calling them and pestering them for your share of funds. Even if you can now afford to pay the bills, shouldn't you be entitled to money for the period where you were unable to work?

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I applied about a month ago to be reimbursed for my generator and chainsaw. So far, nothing. My mom evacuated to my house and was denied. One neighbor evacuated and had damage and only received money for his generator. Another evacuted and got the whole $2000. Someone my mom know evacuated to her daughter's in Texas and got not only the $2000 but the $2300. She had no damage.

FEMA sucks!

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I knew when I first saw this thread that I should keep my mouth shut, but's that's been blown to pieces. FEMA says that all this money has been passed out and about the vitims, right? Where in the world are they gonna get this money from??? Did you know that the Small Business Administration has only approved SIX loans for small businesses down there as of 10/07/2005???

top topics

join