It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Melbourne Man Believes He Has Proof Of Puma Myth in Australian Mountains

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
A Victorian Man, Kurt Engel believes he has proof that big cats do exists in the southern Australian East Gippsland area after shooting dead what appears to be a puma. The area has been the focus for the last 25 years of "Big Cat" spottings with farmers reporting sighting puma looking large cats in the area. The stories reached legend status but until now there has been no evidence that the big cats do roam in the area. It is not believed at this point that the cats are native to the area and one theory is that the cats may have been US Army mascots left behind in the region after world war 2.

www.abc.net.au
Experts are conducting tests to confirm the identity of the big cat.

Mr Engel says farmers have seen big cats before but until now there has been no proof of their existence.

"Up until now it was just a myth, it's like, it might be like Big Foot," he said.

"People [have] seen them but never really can prove it but now it's come through, it did happen.

Rumours of big cats being spotted roaming in Gippsland and the Grampians have been rife since the 1970s.

Some have dismissed the big cat stories as urban legend but an academic from Deakin University revealed last year that the stories were plausible.

Dr John Henry conducted research into the issue in the 1970s and told the ABC last year that he had "concluded that it was beyond reasonable doubt that there was a population of big cats in the Grampians at that time".

"If we were able to dismiss any account by another explanation that didn't require the invention of some exotic animal, we went for that every time," Dr Henry told ABC South-West Victoria.

"At the end of that there were four eyewitness accounts that we really couldn't knock over."

Dr Henry said that the population may have survived and even spread since the 1970s.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This has long been a mystery with newspaper reports and sightings over the years. No proof until now has been forthcoming as the cats are reluctant to come near humans.

It is fantastic that all the people who have been ridiculed by the press over the years as having over active imaginiations are now vindicated by Mr Engels trophy beast.

The area has been the subject of much media investigation over the years with many search parties trying unsuccessfully to prove the existence in the mountains of the large cats.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Being an aussie this is pretty cool. If it's a puma it will show just how much australia really can hold.

[edit on 9/10/05 by llama009]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This is pretty cool
would be cool to see some pictures though. Ya know...there never seems to be pictures for stuff like this, not that it's not true. Why can't the people who initially do the story take a few pics to add with thier story.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
wow, i remember hearing about a sighting sometime last year, and some experts saying that it may have been a very big feral cat. it may sound freaky but feral cats do get big.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I read this in the newspaper today, its fantastic!

Unfortunately the man dumped the carcass in the river after shooting it dead. He did keep the tail however and its under DNA analysis as we speak.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Why did he throw the carcus in the river or whatever? would have been better if he kept it for proof

anyone know?

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Why did he throw the carcus in the river or whatever? would have been better if he kept it for proof

anyone know?

Motorbike...puma...man...

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Motorbike...puma...man...

Carcus...rope...tree...

rope...drag..sled...etc..etc...

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
It would be a good place for pumas. lots of wife life with out any real predators.

We only have the tasmania tiger and the tasmanian devil. not real big or fast

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I had heard over the years about these reports and actually thought until the word black cats were used in most reports, that it may have been tassie tigers in Victoria that had somehow come over from Tassie.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
It would be a good place for pumas. lots of wife life with out any real predators.

We only have the tasmania tiger and the tasmanian devil. not real big or fast

There are nations where the men outnumber the women. Perhaps they can get together for a visit...it sounds more humane than feeding the poor women to the pumas.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I saw my first big black cat 32 years ago during a bush birthday party where we split into pairs to play hide and seek. The hide we had not only won us the game but gave us a great view of the beast. Then about 15 years ago I saw another one cross the freeway from one ruggered bit of country to the next and we also lost a mare and unborn foal to one. Three other family members have also sighted them over the years, all along the the same 100 odd miles of greenbelt between Geelong and Creswick in Victoria where steep gullies and old mines abound.

I would have been happy to still be called a crackpot rather than the the animal being shot because I didn't need any more "proof" but I know for alot a people it will be a relief to no longer have their sanity or eyesight questioned.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
jsobecky, English isn't his first language do not mock him because he finds it hard to type in it...

SportyMB, he is a hunter, hunters know the risk of people 'claiming' their kill. The tail is enough [a head would have been better] as proof that it exists because they can check the DNA. Most hunters wouldn't run the risk of someone else claiming the find of a life-time. [Which this is.]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
There are nations where the men outnumber the women. Perhaps they can get together for a visit...it sounds more humane than feeding the poor women to the pumas.

It's a terrible shame to waste a sick mind. Looks like you and Sporty got up on the funny side of the bed this morning.

Seriously though, unless the guy holding the rifle has a timer on a camera, then there appears to be at least one witness to his story.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Odium, take it easy man. Im just saying it would be pretty cool if he kept the carcus....kind of like a definitive proof for all the non-believers. Atleast the head.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

OH i mis-spelt it.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
jsobecky, English isn't his first language do not mock him because he finds it hard to type in it...

This is embarrasing.

English is my first language. ...sad really

But it was a typo. so there is no point to this

[edit on 10-10-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Poor chinawhite.

I'm not too sure how heavy the cat would've been, but he really couldn't of carried it on the motorbike? I understand that he couldn't of just left it there or wild animals would've came and ate it.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
If he couldn't carry it on his bike then it's got serious problems.

My Suzuki 200 can carry 80+ kilos of me and 40 kilos of wife AND all our gear for the weekend.

And that's only a 200.

This bloke is supposed to be an ingenious, self-reliant Aussie hunter...legend of the Australian bush, keeper of the ANZAC spirit and all that crap...

Anyway, there was video five or so years ago of a large black cat crossing some farmer's fence line down Wonnangatta way. Problem was it was zoomed so far and so shaky that it was impossible to get perspective for size.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
If he couldn't carry it on his bike then it's got serious problems.

My Suzuki 200 can carry 80+ kilos of me and 40 kilos of wife AND all our gear for the weekend.

And that's only a 200.

Different body shape.

Your wife [ I hope] is attempting to stay on the bike.

And sorry china, though it was your second.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join