It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Strong Earthquake Rocks Pakistan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
A 7.6 magnitude earthquake centered about 60 miles northeast of Islamabad shook Pakistan today. There are some early reports of casualties and building collapses, but it will be some time before the extent of damage is known. The strong quake was also felt in parts of Afghanistan and India.

www.cbsnews.com
(AP) A magnitude 7.6 earthquake rocked parts of India, Pakistan and Afghanistan on Saturday, causing some casualties. Part of a 19-story building collapsed in the Pakistani capital.

Police in the Pakistani city of Lahore said at least eight people were injured and four shops were damaged.

Rescue workers were on the scene of the collapse in Islamabad, but there was no immediate word on casualties there.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This doesn't look good, many structures in that area are not well built and collapse easily in earthquakes. Hopefully this will be nowhere near as bad as the 2003 earthquake in Bam, Iran.

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
earthquake.usgs.gov

Related ATS Thread:
Magnitude 7.6 Eartquake Rocks Pakistan

[edit on 10/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 8-10-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Wow, 7.6, that's pretty big.
I really hope for minimal casualties, and thank God nukes are quake proof. Right?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
A government official from Pakistan said the death toll could be "very high" and at least one village in Kashmir has been completely "wiped out". Below is a photo taken in Islamabad, Pakistan after the quake. They expect heavy damage in northern Pakistan and Kashmir.

MSNBC

Farooq Naeem / AFP - Getty Images

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
While I hope for the best, past quakes of around that magnitude tell me to expect a lot of deaths and extensive damage/destruction of buildings.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Man Hellmutt,
That photo you linked, I hope it doesn't illustrate what may have happened in other places..I have a sinking feeling that is DOES though.
Does not look good..

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
They are already indicating that the quake death toll could run into thousands.

Must be some fault line connection between Indonesia and this quake.
The 5.6 quake in Northern Sumatra hit about 6 minutes later after the 7.6 in Pakistan.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

A POWERFUL earthquake that hit the mountainous region near the India-Pakistan frontier today has killed 174 people in Indian Kashmir and injured more than 600, a senior government official said.
Earlier Indian authorities had said the quake left 24 civilians and 16 soldiers dead and put more than 300 people in hospital.

"Fifteen of the soldiers died along the Line of Control (LoC)," army spokesman P Sehgal told AFP, referring to the de facto border dividing Kashmir between India and Pakistan.

www.news.com.au...

THIRTY-five people were feared killed when a courtroom and two schools collapsed in northern Pakistan during a huge quake, police and officials said.
"We have reports that a court building collapsed in Muzaffarabad and some 25 people are feared dead," a police official told AFP.

Police in northern Mansehra district said buildings of two high schools collapsed and rescuers have recovered 10 bodies out of the debris. "Some 40 injured were also recovered," a police official said.

www.news.com.au...

THE death toll in Pakistan from a huge earthquake today could reach into the hundreds, the head of the country's national crisis management centre told AFP.
Most of the deaths were in the northern area of Mansehra and from Pakistan's sector of the divided Himalayan territory of Kashmir, Brigadier Javed Cheema said.

"The death toll could be in hundreds," he added. "The maximum number of casualties have been reported from areas in Mansehra district, Muzaffarabad, Rawlakot and Bagh in Kashmir," he said.

A policeman in Mansehra, Iqbal Ahmed, said "90 per cent" of the houses in three towns in Mansehra division have been razed to the ground.

Officials have earlier said that an entire village in Bagh district was "wiped out", while rescuers are searching through the rubble of a collapsed apartment building in the capital Islamabad.

www.news.com.au...

A POWERFUL earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale left at least 15 soldiers and eight civilians dead and put more than 200 people in hospital today in Indian Kashmir, authorities said.
The quake also cause widespread damage and casualties in Pakistan.

"The soldiers died along the Line of Control," Indian army spokesman P Sehgal said, referring to the de facto border dividing Kashmir between India and Pakistan.

He said some of the army's forward posts caved in, while others were hit by falling trees and landslides. "There can be more casualties," he said.

Thousands of army soldiers man the Line of Control to prevent Muslim rebels entering Indian Kashmir from the Pakistani zone.

One of the civilian victims was an eight-month old Muslim boy who was buried when a wall of a house collapsed in Srinagar, residents said.

"Seven more people have died elsewhere in Srinagar and other parts of the state," a police spokesman said.

Doctors at Srinagar's main hospital said more than 200 people were admitted with injuries and shock after the quake rattled the region.

An AFP photographer saw some half dozen houses damaged by the tremors in northern Baramulla town where ambulances were ferrying the injured to hospital.

www.news.com.au...

KASHMIRIS poured into the streets in panic today as a powerful earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale rattled the region, killing a baby boy and injuring 50 people in northern India.
The quake, centred about 100km north of the Pakistan capital Islamabad, has also killed dozens of people in Pakistan.

Screams were heard from across Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian Kashmir, as people fled homes, shops and offices fearing they would be buried under rubble.

The eight-month-old Muslim boy died when a wall of his house collapsed in the city, residents said.

Men spontaneously started reading out verses from the Koran, the Muslim holy book, and women beat their chests in a traditional display of bereavement.

"Thanks to Allah today is Saturday. Had it been Friday many would have died of heart attacks," Aminbin Khaliq, a shopkeeper, said.

Muslims, observing the fasting month of Ramadan, widely believe the day of resurrection will come on Friday.

"This is the strongest earthquake I have ever witnessed in my life," Srinagar resident Aisha Begum, 84, said.

www.news.com.au...

AN earthquake measuring at least 7.6 on the Richter Scale sowed terror across parts of Pakistan, India and Afghanistan today, causing "huge devastation" and bringing warnings of heavy casualties.
The quake struck early in the morning almost directly on the dividing line between the Indian and Pakistani controlled zones of Kashmir, sending terrified residents fleeing into the streets in towns and villages across the region.

A senior Pakistani official told AFP dozens of people were feared dead in northern areas and the toll was expected to rise substantially.

"There are reports of buildings collapsing in several cities in central Pakistan. We have no exact estimates but the casualties could be very high," the official told AFP, asking to remain anonymous.

"It is massive devastation, we are still assessing damage and casualties," another government official told AFP.

The Pakistani military said an entire village in Kashmir had been destroyed

I think that as time goes on the toll will rise sharply like after the tsunami last year. If anyone did subscribe to the HAARP theory, I would say this quake would fit snugly on the plate.

It is the time I posted that larger quakes were expected with the world being in the middle of both a solar and lunar eclipse within two weeks.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
All reports would appear to indicate that the death toll from this quake will be significant.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I will say this again....(clears throat) Why the hell should anyone in the west care about this? Anyone feel sorry for these people? I hope God the most merciful was merciful and let the epicenter be the terrorist stronghold...

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Major after shocks are now being reported,

The quake was felt across northern and central India and into Afghanistan.

Screaming people rushed out of flats in the Indian capital New Delhi as the tremor began.

"We felt the whole earth shaking, the scaffoldings swaying left and right," said Ram Kripal, a 33-year-old construction worker.

"There was big noise from the clattering of glass panes. It continued for about 15-20 seconds, but it felt like a lifetime."

I think they almost knew at some point a major quake would hit here due to the activity there has been over the past.

There is thought to be many trapped in buildings, My prayers go out to all over there,

Skynews

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikimaru
I will say this again....(clears throat) Why the hell should anyone in the west care about this? Anyone feel sorry for these people? I hope God the most merciful was merciful and let the epicenter be the terrorist stronghold...

and you sir , are an [edit]. Wishing death caused by this is disgusting.

when any country gets hit by a natural disaster the entire world is in shock ; we have had 3 hurricanes this year , several earthquakes , a tsunami at the end of december and now this - mother nature is seriously hacked off.

Mod Edit: Naughty language.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

This is a truly wicked comment. There are little children caught up in this. No wonder the world is so screwed up when there are people like you who show so little compassion and understanding.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Rikimaru.

What you give, you get back, eventually...... threefold. Your comments are just sad from a sad person.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Your sick Bast*rd I know who the real terrorist around here is its you it's people like you that creat hate in this world I hope your family is in it
from the horible stuff I have heard in ATS you must be the biggest loser of them all really, how can you decide what a NATION SHOULD BE NAMED AFTER YOU TERRORISTs.

People like you have no friends but enemies.

A*s hole will see when the tides come on you.

This world is full of cruel people but your the first who oppenly feels that a nation should suffer in pain a natural disaster.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by Interseptor]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
A moment of silence for all those innocent children...

As always, we must remember that the phenomenon of death truly only "hurts" those that the dead leave behind.
This is what I try to remember every day as I see such fear and sadness and death.
I try to remember that those innocents who have died ARE in a better place. They are free from the struggle and pain...
Yoda states in Episode 3 that you should not mourn the dead - you should celebrate their memories. I agree.
Its just real hard... But true...

Oh before I forget...

All this fear, apathy, hypochrisy and bloodthirst in this world breaks my heart. I feel it in my chest in dull waves... Waves of sadness and anger that form frogs in my throat while at the same time get the old adrenaline pumping.

RIKIMARU,
I truly pity you.
No matter what transpires, I will ALWAYS pity anyone with the ideals you show.

I truly wonder if you have any idea what you reveal about your character and soul when you said what you did. That was really deep.
Alas,
Your hatred trumps your ignorance.
So you lose your innocence.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Your Sick. How can you wish Death and Destruction Upon Other People? What makes you so BETTER then them? We are All Humans and we all deserve to Live and YOU of all can not say that they DESERVED that this Natural Disaster Happened to them. You're a Sad Individual...

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Although it'd be nice if a side effect of this tragedy was the death of UBL or other top terrorists, it still wouldn't be worth the toll on the innocent, and I join the other members in denouncing this statement.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Bad news for one location alone they have just pulled the bodies of 250 children from one school.

Earlier I was wondering why the US media was saying the toll could be in the thousands yet international media was stating it would be in the hundreds. This is one time unfortunately that I have to go with the US media

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Bad news for one location alone they have just pulled the bodies of 250 children from one school.

FOX just said the same thing...what a shame!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join