It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway Pulls Advertisement After French Complain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Subway sandwiches has pulled an advertisement after complaints from some French-American groups that it was anti-French:

TWO years after relations between the US and France soured over the Iraq war, French-bashing in America appears alive and well in light of a recent ad campaign by a fast-food chain linking France and cowardice.

The ad by the Subway chain touted a cordon bleu chicken sandwich with the words “France and chicken, somehow it just goes together”. A photo of a chicken dressed like Napoleon accompanied the advertisement.

Subway ran the ads in about 10 US states for nearly a month and pulled them in September following an outcry by members of the French expatriate community and other customers offended by the racist undertone. Mark Bridenbaker, a spokesman for Subway, which has outlets in France, defended the campaign telling AFP it was aimed at lauding French cuisine.

Pakistan Daily Times

I think the ad is pretty funny, but I seriously doubt Subway's explanation that it had no political undertone. I guess in today's politically correct world, you really can't do anything that might offend anyone.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I personally think that is hilarious and that Subway as a corporation and a person (under US law) it should be allowed to say pretty much whatever it wants.

Good on ya subway!

Get over it Frenchies!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I love Subway and I love anything that makes fun of the French.

As proof that I love anything that makes fun of the French, I shall drag out this extremely dead horse and parade it about for all to see.

www.albinoblacksheep.com...

As proof that I love Subway, well, maybe I'll head over there for lunch tomorrow, if I have time

new topics

join