It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: DeLay Legal Team Asks That Indictments Be Set Aside

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Dick DeGuerin and his associates have asked that the three indictments against Tom Delay be set aside and allege that District Attorney Ronnie Earle illegally participated in a Grand Jury Deliberations which amounts to prosecutorial misconduct. Earle's office refused to comment on the allegations.

news. yahoo.com
Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's legal team asked a court Friday to throw out his indictment, arguing that a Texas district attorney "attempted to browbeat and coerce" grand jurors into filing criminal charges.

Prosecutor Ronnie Earle "and his staff engaged in an extraordinarily irregular and desperate attempt to contrive a viable charge and get a substitute indictment of Tom Delay before the expiration of the statute of limitations," DeLay's attorney Dick DeGuerin said in a court filing alleging prosecutorial misconduct.

[...]

DeGuerin alleged that Earle unlawfully participated in grand jury deliberations when he went to a second grand jury last week to seek a second indictment against the Texas Republican. He also said Earle illegally discussed grand jury information and encouraged others to do the same.

[...]

Two people familiar with the proceedings of the grand jury that "no-billed" DeLay said that Earle tried to persuade the grand jurors that DeLay tacitly approved the scheme and that the prosecutor became angry when they decided against an indictment. The people familiar with the proceeding insisted on anonymity because of grand jury secrecy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hmm let’s see DA gets mad when a Grand Jury does not agree with him, is not a real good sign for Earle. Once again we get more proof that this is nothing more then a witch hunt just as several members of ATS have suspected.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...
www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 10/7/2005 by shots]

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
While he may evade legal prosecution, there is no doubt in my mind that Mr. DeLay sacrificed his morals, ethics, and integrity to political expediency a long time ago, much the same as many of his current colleagues in Washington have done.

The real question, as my college philosophy professor so succinctly put it, is; are politics and morality autonomous spheres? Apparently so, given the evidence in circulation these days.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Hmm let’s see DA gets mad when a Grand Jury does not agree with him, is not a real good sign for Earle. Once again we get more proof that this is nothing more then a witch hunt just as several members of ATS have suspected.

Proof? What proof? The only thing I see here is a man very afraid for the indictment to move forward and his lawyer pulling whatever he can find out of his hat to get it thrown out. If it does get thrown out, looks like it would be on a technicality, not because DeLay is innocent, therefore no witch hunt in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The "witch hunt" hypothesis is only parroted by the right-wingers. Ronnie Earle has be labled as a democrat by the MSM to further this point when in fact Ronnie Earle has prosecuted MORE democrats then republicans, FYI that is 11 democrats and 2 Republicans in AUstin Texas the capital of Texas which has far more Republicans then Democrats.

This is nothing more then a feeble attempt to protect Delay, and delay any formal punishment. just look at the facts and follow the money and there isn't a doubt in my mind DeLay will be indicted, and charged for his criminal behavior

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Proof? What proof? The only thing I see here is a man very afraid for the indictment to move forward and his lawyer pulling whatever he can find out of his hat to get it thrown out. If it does get thrown out, looks like it would be on a technicality, not because DeLay is innocent, therefore no witch hunt in my opinion.

OK what I see here is a desperate DA who used every trick in the book he could and when he could not get his way with one Grand Jury he got mad and that is not a good sign for a DA. If his case was sufficient he would have no reason to get mad would he?

I see his actions as similar to those of a four year old throwing a temper tantrum when they can not get their way.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
With all the "Respect" that DeLay have been given as a "Man of good Judgment" and even called the "Hammer", and all the years that took him to get the power that he enjoys right now in his own self proclaim righteousness.

He most be soiling his pants at the prospect of losing all that and even the shot that he was aiming at the white house as president if he gets indicted and guilty of charges.

He is just playing his cards to keep face to hold some sense of still being in control.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Another example of what the liberal left can do to men of honor. Men who put their country first and would lay down their lives to protect us.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Delay respectable, that's a matter of opinon.

A substance abusing, exterminator turned fund raisin Evangelist turned politician. turned Bush insider crony.

Why am I not shocked

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Exterminator?
I heard this only yesterday!
Ahhhh yes, he's perfect for the job....

df1

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
If his case was sufficient he would have no reason to get mad would he?

I'd get PO'd if I presented a rock solid case and the jury was so ignorant that it didn't understand the case, the law and the issues involved. Earle just underestimated the ignorance of the American people with the one jury that did not indict.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
Earle just underestimated the ignorance of the American people with the one jury that did not indict.

Unlike normal juries grand juries convene for months at a time therefore they are not the norm and probably smarter then most. You can call them ignorant if you want, but I will however say the reverse by claiming they are smarter, considering the amount number of cases they listen to and the amount of time they spend on the jury.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
As soon as this comes before a competent judge, it'll be thrown out of court so fast it'll make this corrupt DA's head spin. Of course everyone here will cry conspiracy and corruption, but the true corruption lies at the feet of this DA who brought these obviously bogus charges.

top topics

join