It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the REAL reason for high gas prices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm getting really sick of the disinformation and Bush telling us to "conserve" while really doing nothing else to get gas prices under control. So he releases a little oil out of the strategic reserve. (This was nothing more than a political gesture) As far as I'm concerned gas price problems started to come about in 1995 when the "big oil" lobbyist and industry lackeys started getting control of key positions in our governement. Right now I firmly believe that there has been a collusion in the oil industry to arbitrarily limit refinery capacity. I mean, we had over 300 refineries before 1995 and now we are down to 145ish?? What is going on? I've seen alot of "spin" on why there are fewer refineries but I'm not buying this ilk for one second.

I don't want to inundate you guys with a bunch of links but one site is a good start: Would like to get other peoples thoughts as well.

www.reason.org...

"A new oil refinery has not been built in the United States since 1976. During that time, our gasoline use has increased over 25 percent. The nation's 149 existing refineries have been running at maximum capacity trying to meet record demand and, as a result, not only do we import oil, we actually have to import 10 percent of our daily gasoline from refineries overseas."

I guess this all boils down to one VERY important questions.. What's the REAL reason for the refinery capacity problem? I think you all know the reason for that.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
very interesting read tx...food for thought.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Environmental Regulations have a effect on refinery expansions. Environmental compliance hurt profits. Lower profits and you'll have fewer firms in the industry.

Im not saying thats the only reason but its one that factors in

[edit on 8-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

new topics

join