It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News- Terror Threat on NY Subways

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Foxnews tv is reporting that the NY police Commisioner will be holding a press conference in about 19 minutes in regards to a Terror threat that is taking place on NY subways.
Will post link with more info as it becomes available.
Conference will be at 5:30 ET

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Credible threat (but not specific) will mobilize hundreds of NY police officers to patrol all manhattan subway and may cover the entire system
ABCNEWS

According to sources in intelligence, emergency services and police headquarters, when three Iraqi insurgents were recently arrested during a raid by a joint FBI-CIA team, one of those caught disclosed the threat. Because it slipped out during the arrest, the plot was deemed credible.
After several days of work, sources said, the NYPD is increasingly concerned because it has been unable to discredit the initial source and additional information from the source.
The 19 operatives were to place improvised explosive devices in the subways using briefcases, according to two sources.

[edit on 6-10-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
From MSNBC

Sources told NBC that the information came from a single informant of varying credibility.
The informant said operatives would try to smuggle explosives onto the New York train system in an imitation of the London and Madrid attacks, several sources told NBC. According to these sources, attackers were expected to conceal explosives in baby carriages.

MSNBC

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
From confrence:
" A news agency has been aware of this information for 2 days, but had withheld the information as requested by NY police and Homeland Security"

I find this very interesting as it is out of character for most of the US "news agencies"

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
From Yahoo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City has received threats against its subway system and is adding extra police officers to protect the transit system, said Tom Kelly, the mass transit agency's spokesman.
"My understanding is there are threats against the system," Kelly said. "We're deploying additional police and canine units as is the New York Police Department."
Kelly declined to comment on any details about the threats. Mayor Michael Bloomberg and police chief Ray Kelly also declined to comment on the threat but were set to hold a brief briefing.

ahooNews

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
From Bloomberg

Oct. 6 (Bloomberg) -- New York police stepped up counter- terrorism patrols on the city's subways after receiving a ``specific threat,'' Mayor Michael Bloomberg said today.
`This is the first time we have had a threat with this level of specificity,'' Bloomberg said at a news conference at police headquarters. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said that while the threat hasn't been fully corroborated, precautions were warranted.

The reason for this is that the threat was specific enough to name a timeframe as well as location (as per Kelly's response to questions)
Bloomberg

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
And some more info on the source of the information

According to sources in intelligence, emergency services and police headquarters, when three Iraqi insurgents were arrested several days ago during a raid by a joint FBI-CIA team, one of those caught disclosed the threat. Because it slipped out during the arrest, the plot was deemed credible.
snip
Mark Marshon, assistant director in charge of the New York office of the FBI, said the investigation has helped stop the plans. "The encouraging news is that classified operations have in fact partially disrupted this threat," he said.

ABCNEWS

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Police commissioner Ray Kelley requested that the public refrain from using briefcases and baby strollers in the subway system. Random searches of passengers will continue, officials said.

I wonder if this will include the student backpacks? Many NY students use the subway to get back and forth to school everyday.
USATODAY

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
From confrence:
" A news agency has been aware of this information for 2 days, but had withheld the information as requested by NY police and Homeland Security"

I find this very interesting as it is out of character for most of the US "news agencies"

during time of war, the president has the authority to keep the media from reporting items that are critical to national security.

as for this particular threat, i find it hard to believe that its credible, considering that in the past there has never been a warning from OBL that specified when or where as specifically as this one seems to....guess we'll see.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
during time of war, the president has the authority to keep the media from reporting items that are critical to national security.

I don't this is really true, they simply asked them to hold off on the story because there were active investigations into it and they didn't want to tip off the targets and put law enforcement officers in danger. Because of the specificity as to the time of the attack, there was apparently no immediate danger to the public by delaying the reportage for a few days.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
That is correct but as has been reported a number of times here on ATS, the US media very rarely abides by this. I am glad they did because it was stated in the news conference that an earlier release of the story would have directly endangered investigators.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
no way they'd go ahead with an attack right now. They got out of town, regroup, lick their wounds and have another go some other time.

Great way to train the authorities this way......

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Found the following news article from last week that is pertanent to the situation today. NY Times posted this article just last week
U.S. Deploys Subway Dogs, but N.Y. Declines

The Department of Homeland Security is spending $2.7 million to provide 30 bomb-sniffing dogs, along with training for their police handlers, to 10 transit agencies, including the subway systems in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington.
But New York's subway system, by far the largest and busiest in the country, is not one of them. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority turned down an invitation to apply for the money, officials said yesterday, because the grant would have come with restrictions that they called cumbersome and because the dogs could have been withdrawn and used elsewhere during a national emergency.
The decision not to seek the money comes after the authority has been repeatedly criticized as being slow and haphazard in its counterterrorism efforts, even after the Madrid train bombings in March 2004 and the London subway and bus bombings in July. Last month, the authority unveiled a $212 million plan for electronic surveillance throughout the system.

(Emphasis mine)
Then add last weeks bombing in OKC

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Here is the news story in regards to the capture of the insurgents
Terror suspects 'targeted Paris metro'

PARIS, France (AP) -- Authorities fear that a suspected Islamic terror cell broken up in France was plotting attacks on the Paris subway, an airport and an intelligence agency's headquarters, newspapers said Tuesday.
Police arrested nine people Monday in the sweep, including an Islamic militant previously convicted on terrorism charges and freed from prison two years ago, officials said.
snip
The suspect, identified by the newspaper only as "M.B.", was an alleged group member who indicated that the attacks were being planned in France, the report said. His wife was among the nine arrested.

Notice..... NY is Not mentioned, only Paris

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
From what I read, the arrest of 3 insurgents in Iraq led to this threat. The Paris arrests were seperate. Thus, there'd be no mention of NYC in the Paris story.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't suppose this has anything to do with Bush's speech on the ongoing War on Terror and the allegations of 10 stopped terror attacks this morning.

I wonder how many poll points this will yield to GW. Disgusting.

Well, I will get on the subway tomorrow morning and not even think twice about it.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
I don't suppose this has anything to do with Bush's speech on the ongoing War on Terror and the allegations of 10 stopped terror attacks this morning.

I wonder how many poll points this will yield to GW. Disgusting.

Well, I will get on the subway tomorrow morning and not even think twice about it.

I usually walk to and from the office (good for the body, good for the soul) but I am planning on taking the subways for now.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

as for this particular threat, i find it hard to believe that its credible, considering that in the past there has never been a warning from OBL that specified when or where as specifically as this one seems to....guess we'll see.

This wasn't a warning from OBL. This was supposedly information obtained due to an arrest.

I do find it odd though that it happens on a day President Bush gives a big anti-terror speech as well as the day we find out Karl Rove will again testify regarding the CIA leak.

It should be noted that I voted for President Bush and have defended him on this board.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
the timing is odd but, the timing also coincides with the jewish holidays, albeit between them but still in the midst of the holidays.

incidentally, the news here in NYC has said that the specifics as to time were friday or the weekend. now, this got me thinking. what would the point be if they did do something on a weekend. the trains are usually not very crowded on the weekends. then I thought about how fridays are usually not too crowded but Penn Station and Grand Central get pretty crowded with people leaving the city for the day and the added weekend getaways this made me think of Monday which is a holiday for some and might result in more travellers leaving the city via those two points.

the holiday? Columbus Day. Columbus who is honored for discovering America. Nice day for an attack against us.

on the other hand, I boarded the subway this morning at the 59th and lex station (crowded hub) and got off at penn station. not a single cop. no bag searches (I was carrying one) no cops on the lookout.

I felt as safe as I normally do

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Sorry if it has been metioned but Flocco has some "info" on what this is really about....
CIA, French intelligence kill 4, capture 5 Israelis in NY subway attack

Earlier this evening intelligence members of the American-French Alliance stopped an attempt by Israeli Mossad operatives to blow up the New York City subway, according to national security and U.S. intelligence expert Thomas Heneghen.

The federal whistleblower said four Israelis were killed in the altercation and five more were captured just minutes after virtually all U.S. cable news channels, network TV outlets and New York Mayor Richard Bloomberg were reporting their own version of the incident, adding that New York City was "facing a significant threat" in the city's subway.

Before you all go crazy on me I'm not beliveing this as far as I can throw it, If 4 ppl were killed on the subway I'm thinking this would have come out.
But it certianly does tie in with the indictments and such...

edit, Even Alex Jones is doubting Flocco now...

Also I predict All hallo's eve as the date for an attack if one is indeed comming. There is nothing more evil then scaring people just before halloween and therefore denying Children probably the best holiday ever.

[edit on 7-10-2005 by Halfofone]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join