It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Thoughts on the Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is in reply to another topic, but it was off topic and I thought I should make a new one discussing these points.

Originally posted by dbrandtYour last claim of christians not understanding the Bible is based on what? It's merely your personal opinion because you don't agree with us.

Usually I will always concede that my posts are opinions... but on this one I am reluctant to because the bible itself clearly states it is not the word of god (Revelation 19:13, John 1:1, 14), christ in the bible states that searching the scriptures may testify about him yet they do not have the means to life (John 5:39-40).

Certain parts of the bible are not even scripture: Luke 1:1-4 states why that book was written, that is for Theophilus, and it was compiled from eyewitnes reports, and Acts is a continuation of it. (Acts 1:1,2). Compare with Revelation 1:1 which is scripture according to the bible.

Why are the letters of Paul included? He is merely speaking his opinions as is stated. 1 Corinthians 7:40. If he was inspired and preaching the scripture as directed by the holy spirit, he would not have opinions. 1 Corinthians 5:9 mentions another letter. Where is it? Why were all of this mans letters not included?

The Torah is attributed to Moses, yet, how can Moses write about his own death...? (Deuteronomy 34). Judges through Chronicles are just that... Chronicles. They are history books, written down with Jewish bias, there are contradictions between many parts in these Chronicles, one in particular is 2 Samuel 24:1 which has God inciting David to take a census, and 1 Chronicles 21:1 which has Satan inciting the same census. There are also some really disturbing passages in there which make me wonder if the god of the OT is in fact satan... or an imposter.

This is just the start of why I believe most christians do not know their own book. If they knew these things, they would start to question. Instead they either shut off or create excuses, to protect their world view. I know... I DID IT. Eventually though, I came to realise that making excuses is just decieving myself.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Trying to apply logic to a divinely inspired and created text is alloway going ot be left with doubt and failure. A person of strong belief, either comes up with a excuse to explian the unexplainable, and miricles (Like calling the story of Noah flood a parable) or takes that leap of faith and belives based on belief alone. FOr me I studied the bible for a good 2 years after my conversion, and found the bible is a whole from cover to cover. The letters of Paul and the early disiples are great examples of the beginning of christiantiy and how things have changed for jews after the savior fufilled the promise of old. In a way you can think of the Epistles as a sort of Epilouge

THe simplest explination how Moses death was recorded is that he knew what was going ot happen and wrote it ahead of time, or Joshua was divinely inspired and finished it before starting his own

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willow_Dryad
They are history books, written down with Jewish bias, there are contradictions between many parts in these Chronicles, one in particular is 2 Samuel 24:1 which has God inciting David to take a census, and 1 Chronicles 21:1 which has Satan inciting the same census. There are also some really disturbing passages in there which make me wonder if the god of the OT is in fact satan... or an imposter.

Nothing can happen unless God causes it or allows it. So by God allowing satan to incite David to take the census, God had a hand in it.

There is another part in the OT where God asks, "Who is it that makes the blind, is it not I." In the NT a man who was blind was healed and the disciples asked who sinned that this man was born blind. Jesus replied he was born blind so that at this paticular moment in time, when Jesus was walking by this man He could heal the man, so that the power of God could be displayed to the world. So that people could know that Jesus was who He said He was and so that they, and us, would be without excuse to if we chose to reject Him as Savior.

God is not satan. God has always been and was never created. satan is a created being and has not always been around and will someday cease to have the allowance to tempt mankind.

God is omnipotent and chooses to allow some things to happen that we won't understand until we are in His presence.

[edit on 7-10-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Nothing can happen unless God causes it or allows it. So by God allowing satan to incite David to take the census, God had a hand in it.

We never had a chance from the beginning. Its always been rigged against us.

You have just relived all of their responsibility for their own actions with that comment. Do you understand the implications of that? God allows normal people to get cancer and die in pain. God allows children to be raped. God allows insane criminals to gain high positions of power and torture, rape, murder and destroy all they come across. God is reponsible for allowing all of this to go on. God is sick and evil.

What the hell happened to blaming the RAPIST for raping, the MURDER for killing the innocent? Surely that people are responsible for what they do. Didnt David actually argue this? He didnt want innocent people to suffer for his sins, only your blood thirsty god was all to willing to wipe them out.. for the sins of one man. SICK..

You can claim "we dont have the capacity to understand god's ways" but we have the capacity to discern between right and wrong... this god is well and truly in the wrong. That line of thought is just a cop out, because deep down you KNOW but you cant handle your belief system being radically altered. So, you make excuses.

I seriously do not believe the Jewish tribal god is the God Almighty, that the christ prophet of the New Testament claimed to be sent from.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I disagree. We have free will, we act as we CHOOSE to act, therefore the responsibility for our actions is ours and not God's. Just because God allows evil does not mean he takes pleasure in it or even that he condones it.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_the_byron
I disagree. We have free will, we act as we CHOOSE to act, therefore the responsibility for our actions is ours and not God's. Just because God allows evil does not mean he takes pleasure in it or even that he condones it.

This god the OT describes not only condones and take pleasure from it, he commits it himself.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

You have just relived all of their responsibility for their own actions with that comment.

No, David could have said no when satan influenced him to take the census. We are not robots who have to obey satan. satan can only influence our thoughts he does not have power to make us carry out the actions of those thoughts. It was David's choice to carry out the census. Plus David had at least one person advise him not to do the census.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

You have just relived all of their responsibility for their own actions with that comment.

No, David could have said no when satan influenced him to take the census. We are not robots who have to obey satan. satan can only influence our thoughts he does not have power to make us carry out the actions of those thoughts. It was David's choice to carry out the census. Plus David had at least one person advise him not to do the census.

But the Bible also said God incited it... and if David thought God was behind it, he would have been screwed if he ignored it, and he was screwed for doing it. Do you see the problem yet?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   

But the Bible also said God incited it...

That means God allowed it.

top topics

join