It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons for divers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
What weapons do Special Forces divers (SEAL, SBS etc) use for underwater combat?

I know about the underwater Glock, the P11 and the Russian APS underwater rifle, but what else is there?
I've seen reference to a Russian dart-firing weapon copied by the US but no details, and hints about anti-swimmer spearguns. Anyone know anything about this? Are weapons like 'bang sticks' normally used for shark defence employed by Special Forces for this kind of thing?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There have been speculations about underwater ultrasound guns.Even about them making an ultrasound beam that can disintegrate a diver into the water except the metal parts of his kit

It is known that a powerful blast from a ship's ordinary navigation sonar, can deranges the inner ear and make divers dizzy and disorientated and tends to force them to surface, or may make them panic and lose his mouthpiece and drown.

-Ultrasound disintegration of solids in liquids is well known in industry, and could be adapted into a weapon.

-It has long been known that ultrasound in water will kill small water animals.

-It is suspected that the sperm whale uses powerful ultrasound to stun or kill its prey

In theory such a weapon could exist but theres no proof right now.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
That sounds a bit futuristic as a personal weapon, though I gather that non-portable versions exist (as you say, it's basically just a sonar beam).
And I'm not sure how directional it would be! Fine for those not in the water.

I was wondering more about current weapons. Spearguns seem to be limited more by fishing rules and the need to have a line attached, so I wondered if there was a high-power military version.

And something like a micro-torpedo would be obvious enough when firearms only work at a few metres range, but it doesn't look like anyone has invented one (have they?).

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The APS has a longer range and has more penetrating power than spearguns. 98 ft at depth of 16 ft ,66 ft at depth of 66 ft

You dont really need long range weapons underwater since most of the time you can only see a few feet in front of you.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
What's lethality like though? At underwater speeds, is it effective?
I suppose explosive warheads would be illegal though...

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Heres some sort of diving handgun:

Ultrasound......... Intreeging.....

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

What's lethality like though? At underwater speeds, is it effective?

I cant saw I have ever fired one or know anyone that fired a APS rifle. But from reports at close ranges they seem to be very lethal . The 150 mm long darts are more then capable of penetrating wet suits and face masks at longer ranges.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
"Heres some sort of diving handgun"

- That's the H&K P11.

But I haven't been able to get much detail on it. Clearly, it doesn't fire conventional projectiles, from the description they sound more like fin-stabilised rocket-propelled darts. In service with Special Forces all over the place, uncluding the US, UK and Israel.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yeah, definately can't be conventional projectiles.

Do you know how it loads? Like a magazine or harpoon type internal mechanism?

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Very little is known about the HK P11. It is a special pistol that fires underwater. What is known is that it will fire five shots, but after the five shots are fired, a significant delay in reloading, even slower than a revolutionary war muzzleloader. You must send the upper unit back to the factory for reloading!

HKPRO recently acquired more detailed information about the P11. It was designed in the 1970s, and entered service in 1976. It has never been officially acknowledged by HK. It fires darts of 7.62 x 36 caliber either above or underwater. The effective range of the P11 is reported at 30 meters above water, with a report barely louder than an MP5SD. Underwater, the effective range is 10-15 meters.

The P11 is reportedly in service with German combat divers, the British SAS, and 100 units to U.S. Specops forces. It is also used by Dutch, Danish, Norwegian and Israeli combat divers. ...
Source and more pics

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
SPP-1 underwater pistol

Not much on looks
world.guns.ru...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I do suspect that the SPP-1 was the 'Russian dart-firing weapon" copied by the West. But that was a long time ago, and it doesn't seem like there's been anything better along in the decades since.
Unless....?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
weapons for divers ?

to parapohrase LS2SB

" knives ... big freaking shiny ones ..... "

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
" knives ... big freaking shiny ones ..... "

Well, do it your way, but I don't know if I'd want to bring one to a gunfight - and is does sound like there a few underwater guns.

join