It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

robot fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
the first fully autonomous robot fish has been unvieled :

link

the current protoypes are little more than novelty value , but they are ` proof of concept ` that the technology works and can be integrated in a marine invironment

how long before they can replace human divers in all but the most critical roles where a moral / ethical descision may be required ?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Cool, I want one!!

I ahve one query though, looking for there own food is possible, I have a video in my loft of these little bots going around a metal table, a guy shuts off power to a section of the table and the bots move towards a part with power. I have heard about a slug eating bot that looks for food as well.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
how long before they can replace human divers in all but the most critical roles where a moral / ethical descision may be required ?

The idea of robotics for marine exploration is already well developed to a high degree. If the swimming movements made by that robot somehow can improve on the already capable propellor driven types, perhaps in that they could expend less power and get into tighter spaces, these scientists may just have something.
It all reminds me of the early attempts at flight using ornithopters and the like.

Interesting link, ignorant_ape...I remember seeing a news video about that experiment a few months ago.
Now, if they can make those robot fish tasty and put up a good fight, perhaps sport fishing will not die out after all when the fish are all extinct.

On the moral and ethical comment, I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to. Do you mean carrying bombs to sink vessels which is now something dolphins are being used for?

[edit on 6-10-2005 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
To be honest, I'm bored of this. This is great and all, but this keeps happening. We've yet to see pretty much any of this implemented yet, but many projects keep getting started. I'm getting restless.

This one at least seems to have some good heads on its shoulders. They've got some very good ideas, and some detailed plans. I like this especially.

"We have embedded sensors on board - so, unlike the previous fishes that have remote controls, these are fully autonomous and artificial-intelligence based,"

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Very cool

Depending on the price and size of these fish " novelty value" could turn into " monetary value " as a toy

Ive seen some things like this in Japan though not as advanced robot jelly fish and such called "Aquaroids" I think they sell pretty good in Japan

new topics

top topics

join