It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
After reading through Genesis, I couldnt help but notice that Adam was created on the second day. Starting at Genesis 2:4 through 2:7 it talks about how no plant life had appeared on earth yet, and there was no man, but there were streams that came up from the earth. That is when God formed Adam. Then it goes on after that and talks about how God then created animals and birds and brought them to Adam so that he could name them. Genesis 1:24 - 1:27 states that animals were created before man. It also states that God created man in his own image, but he created Adam out of the dust of the earth. It sounds to me like Adam was not like any of the other humans God created. That might explain why Cain was sure that if anyone found him wandering, they would kill him. Also, to add to my point, in Genesis 5 it states again that God created man in his own image. However, when Adam had Seth it states that Seth was in Adams image. I almost wonder if Adam wasnt the first of the Giants.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
In trying to maintain as many of the rules as I can in this post, I'll say I actually spoke about this on another thread, though it was pretty burried in there.

Originally posted by junglejake

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.

The claim is that this passage, specifically verse 9, demonstrates that trees were created after man. However, if you take into account the original passage from Genesis 1 and verse 6 from this passage, you have to ask yourself, watered what? Why did the surface of the Earth have to be watered, if there were no trees or shrubs? Ahh, Genesis 1:11 shows what; grass, shrubs, and trees. They didn't exist before Gen 2:6, but that was because it didn't rain and the plants couldn't get water. It was only after the streams came up that the vegetation could grow.

That still doesn't explain verse 9 in the passage above, though. For that, we have to look at both verse 8 and verse 9. It says God planted a garden in the east. This isn't to say there was no vegetation anywhere else; only that He chose a special spot to plant a garden. So it appears man was created before the trees had grown into something pleasing to the eye in the Garden of Eden, but that doesn't negate any presence of vegetation throughout the rest of the world. It doesn't even negate trees being in the Garden of Eden, only that they weren't too pretty.

Source

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

In trying to maintain as many of the rules as I can in this post, I'll say I actually spoke about this on another thread, though it was pretty burried in there.

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.

The claim is that this passage, specifically verse 9, demonstrates that trees were created after man. However, if you take into account the original passage from Genesis 1 and verse 6 from this passage, you have to ask yourself, watered what? Why did the surface of the Earth have to be watered, if there were no trees or shrubs? Ahh, Genesis 1:11 shows what; grass, shrubs, and trees. They didn't exist before Gen 2:6, but that was because it didn't rain and the plants couldn't get water. It was only after the streams came up that the vegetation could grow.

That still doesn't explain verse 9 in the passage above, though. For that, we have to look at both verse 8 and verse 9. It says God planted a garden in the east. This isn't to say there was no vegetation anywhere else; only that He chose a special spot to plant a garden. So it appears man was created before the trees had grown into something pleasing to the eye in the Garden of Eden, but that doesn't negate any presence of vegetation throughout the rest of the world. It doesn't even negate trees being in the Garden of Eden, only that they weren't too pretty.

Source

What rules?

I dont understand what your view on Adam is. You mentioned the same areas I am speaking of, but no answer on the question I asked. Can you please be a bit more clear? Are you saying that you just see it as a contradiction and nothing more?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
I dont understand what your view on Adam is. You mentioned the same areas I am speaking of, but no answer on the question I asked. Can you please be a bit more clear? Are you saying that you just see it as a contradiction and nothing more?

*JJ smacks himself on the forehead* Read the whole post next time! Read the whole post next time!

Sorry about that, I had just answered, as I said, the other question, and seeing the same passages and the like, I went and made an assumption without reading through your whole post. And you know what they say about making assumptions...

I'll have to get back to ya tomorrow on the actual question you asked (which is a very good one!
) because the answer will be just a hair more involved (understatement), and I'm going to have to be leaving my compy shortly.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
If you follow the cycle of Genesis chapter one " And there was evening, and there was morning—the ____ day." Man and woman were created on the sixth day. Chapter two goes into more detail of that sixth day. in a way you can think of it as a flashback.

The easyest way to explain the apparent conflict in chapter two is that God was allready thinking of how to create, and was even creating Man while God was starting to work on tree's and shrubs. Too often people think making man "In our own image" is a visual and physical image. But it can only be a SPIRITUAL image that God is talking about. Thus God was allready forming Adam in his mind while working on tree's and shrubs.

Man was formed and alive and THEN was placed in the Garden of Eden to work the soil after the trees were grown and name the animals when they were formed out of the dirt and borught to him

The question is, when is something "Created" is it when they are formed and are seperate from the creator? if that is the case Adam could have been still connected to the creator and thus not really created yet, until after all the animals were named

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
If you follow the cycle of Genesis chapter one " And there was evening, and there was morning—the ____ day." Man and woman were created on the sixth day. Chapter two goes into more detail of that sixth day. in a way you can think of it as a flashback.

The easyest way to explain the apparent conflict in chapter two is that God was allready thinking of how to create, and was even creating Man while God was starting to work on tree's and shrubs. Too often people think making man "In our own image" is a visual and physical image. But it can only be a SPIRITUAL image that God is talking about. Thus God was allready forming Adam in his mind while working on tree's and shrubs.

Man was formed and alive and THEN was placed in the Garden of Eden to work the soil after the trees were grown and name the animals when they were formed out of the dirt and borught to him

The question is, when is something "Created" is it when they are formed and are seperate from the creator? if that is the case Adam could have been still connected to the creator and thus not really created yet, until after all the animals were named

I have heard the opinion that it is a flashback. I have to disagree though. I do not think it could have been any more specific. Chapter one tells a summary of what was created when. It specifically states in Gen 1:27 So God creaded man in his own image. in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
This was after he created animals on the 6th day. It also goes on in that chapter to say how he gave them every living thing to rule over. As well as all plants on the face of the earth to eat.
In the second chapter, it goes into detail. It states that from the begining. It states as specifically as it can that Adam was created on the second day. It spells it out. Adam was created out of the dust of the earth, to take care of God's garden. Then he created the animals, and brought them to Adam so he could name them.

So, to sum up, where you think it is a flashback, I have to disagree. I think it is a more detailed account. As it states in Gen 2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Thus God was allready forming Adam in his mind while working on tree's and shrubs.
This is good insight.

I've considered this countless times. I think, at this point of my understanding, that 'creation' coincides with being 'named'. When God speaks a 'name' a soul is made--I say this from a metaphysical perspective, if you get the drift.

[edit on 10/6/2005 by queenannie38]

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
So, to sum up, where you think it is a flashback, I have to disagree. I think it is a more detailed account. As it states in Gen 2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created.

For this question, I ask you to read from here to the end of that thread the posts I have made about this. I have gone into extensive detail describing why this interpretation of man being created on the second day is incorrect. If, after reading through it, you see any flaws in the logic I pose there, please bring it up, as I mentioned in one of those posts. I posted a quote in regards to addressing the vegetation earlier in this thread, but I go on to address the animals, naming the animals and the birds, too.

As to your original question that I so foolishly missed, I'm going to attempt to answer it. You mention that Seth was created in Adam's image, and Adam was created in God's image. This is true. You, too, were created in your father's image, and your mother's image. You are distinctive in your own way, and could be recognized as your parent's child if someone were to see you side by side with them.

I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that Adam being created in God's image would mean he's a giant, though. God is a being of pure spirit, so how do you create a physical something in your image, except by placing spirit inside of the shell?

Cain was worried he'd be recognized if he were to go out into the world, and be killed as a result. There are several possible explanations for this. First, the story could have gotten out to the world of what Cain had done. We don't know how many children Adam and Eve had in their 930 or so (Eve's death is not mentioned) on earth, and after being cast out of the garden, they could have spread through the world. It also seems clear that there were humans around, even civilization, when Cain was sent out. He went to the land of Nod, which insinuates there was a land named Nod at the time he left. God created Adam in His own image, but if that's a spirit thing, then it could be possible there were men in existence that did not have the spirit of God breathed in to them. They were no different from the animals, just a little bit smarter. It could have been that people with the spirit of God breathed into them did, somehow, look different than those without. We don't know because we don't have a comparison today. We all have souls, so we can't see if there's a distinctive, perceivable difference between those who do not. Cain may have been worried they would have noticed this difference, and killed him for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Too often people think making man "In our own image" is a visual and physical image. But it can only be a SPIRITUAL image that God is talking about.

That's exactly what the Catholic Church teaches. 'In Our Own Image'
means spiritual image. It has nothing to do with the physical. God
is pure spirit afterall.

top topics

join