It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic rules

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Does anyone know of a form of Catholisism that doesn't allow women to wear skirts and makes men wear long sleeved shirts?

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I think those are Baptists, or maybe Mormons.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
baptists are a more liberal form of the protestant church, that are all new age, struck by god and hippy'ish, i dont think there is a branch of catholism thats that strict tho there are these concepts in some asian and eastern religions.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think I've heard of this before. Some Catholics broke away from the main church as they felt it's standards were becoming too lax, the wearing of skirts and long sleeved shirts rings a bell too. Other than that I can't remember.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well,
I never heard or came across any such rule, and I went to catholic grade and high school. My guess is that you are thinking of some protestant group.

If anything, a traditional Catholic group would prefer that women wear skirts... as it is a gender-specific thing like a veil.

So far as that break away group goes... They might ask that women wear veils at mass, as catholic women did in pre-Vatican II times, but pants, as we know them, were never a part of any female costume in any culture I'm aware of.

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The followers of that Smith guy demand that women wear skirts and long hair. But I've never heared about a sect that would demand men to wear long sleeves though.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Who's this Smith guy?

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My guess would be Joseph Smith of the Mormon church.

The only western religions I've encountered that require women to wear long skirts, long hair, no makeup, and no jewelery, is the penecostal church and certain, Very strict, baptist churches. I've never heard of any religions requiring men to wear long sleeves, in recent years, though.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche
I think I've heard of this before. Some Catholics broke away from the main church as they felt it's standards were becoming too lax, the wearing of skirts and long sleeved shirts rings a bell too. Other than that I can't remember.

Those were the orthodoz. They had their main seat in Konstaninopel which is today called Istanbul. This is the base religion for Russians, Bulgarians, Greeks and Serbs.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Probably some sect.

I dont know about mormons, we hardly dont have any, Baptists......... No, I think they are way to liberal then that. Pentacostal. No, My fathers both parents wre such and they were members in the times when the rules were strict. Most women wore skirts or dresses, and yes, they were long, but this was the fashion of those times anyway. Long sleeves, never heard of it.

But there are many sects. I know of one small here where you are not aloud to have shades on your windows because if they are down something sinfull might occur. Then there is another sect where everybody keep their shades down because someone might see you.

All i weird in the world of religion

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You are all probably thinking about the Amish (I live in Ohio which has a fairly large Amish community in certain parts of the state). Yes the Amish do dress like in the movie "Witness" starring Harrison Ford. If you go into certain areas of the state (Mt. Vernon, Apple Creek), you will often see them riding their horse drawn buggies on the side roads. I have seen many Amish, but I have never seen an Amish man in his shirt sleaves. In public, they always wear black trousers with black coats. (Also note that the Amish do not use zippers in their clothes - all they use are buttons.)

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
You are all probably thinking about the Amish (I live in Ohio which has a fairly large Amish community in certain parts of the state). Yes the Amish do dress like in the movie "Witness" starring Harrison Ford. If you go into certain areas of the state (Mt. Vernon, Apple Creek), you will often see them riding their horse drawn buggies on the side roads. I have seen many Amish, but I have never seen an Amish man in his shirt sleaves. In public, they always wear black trousers with black coats. (Also note that the Amish do not use zippers in their clothes - all they use are buttons.)

If I am right Amish folks dont want to use new inventions????
The Zipper was invented by Swedish Gideon Sundb� ck :-)

[Edited on 2003-9-15 by Magnus]

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by hairyviking
Who's this Smith guy?

I don't know exactly who it is, but I don't think he is the Mormon guy. These people don't have tellies, don't use condoms etc. I used to play in a band with one. He was one of nine or so children. I also went to school with his sister who is now a nurse. Good people all of them.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 07:41 AM
link   
You should read up on some of the mormon beliefs though, very strange indeed!

They have been heavily linked to masons etc also.

Probably most of them are clean living people but the leadership is suspect.

Their hugh project to catalogue the human dna/genetic signature is scary too.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
You should read up on some of the mormon beliefs though, very strange indeed!

They have been heavily linked to masons etc also.

Probably most of them are clean living people but the leadership is suspect.

Their hugh project to catalogue the human dna/genetic signature is scary too.

Hehe. To be honest I don't think you have so much to fear from the Mormons. To me it seems absurd to link any sect or religion to the Freemasons as most world religions (if not all) are represented among the masons. The dna project of the Mormons is possibly just an attempt to proove once and for all the divine origin of the human species.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I've found out who they are. They are the One Catholic Apostolic and Palmarian Church, they are a Catholic sect who believe that the Roman Catholic church has become corrupt. They were set up by a man calling himself "Pope Gregory" in Spain after he apparently had a vision of the Virgin Mary. They have since been excommunicated by the real Pope.

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by hairyviking
Does anyone know of a form of Catholisism that doesn't allow women to wear skirts and makes men wear long sleeved shirts?

A form of Catholisism that DOES NOT ....I think you mean DOES without the NOT ......

Greek orthodox and Russian Orthodox in the old calander (Julian) actually favour the dress code of women wearing skirts or dresses to ''wearing the pants'' hmmmmmm......
It is similar to women in the early Church wearing a 'head covering'' out of respect...I guess you are in Church because you are their to worship and not look all around you....(that is my theory)
Any way, It is an old custom still practised in many Orthodox churches.......it depends on the priest ...
And Yes, I did read somewhere where the men had to wear long sleeved shirts...(but not sure why it is?)
The Early church was the Holy Catholic(universal) and Apostolic Church and one and the same!
Christianity was but ONE and the same.....
helen.....

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   
As a Catholic I profess to one Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. That doesn't mean any of the Protestant or Orthodox variety.

[Edited on 10-13-2003 by Cearbhall]

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Here in New Zealand there is a religious sect called the Breatherns. A closed sect they keep to themselves,have strict dress codes matching that of which you describe. They arrange marrages. Will not eat with other non-breatherns. Do not watch or listen to T.V or Radio or have computers.

They are, however not related to the Catholic Church.

For moreiinformation I suggest you Goggle 'Bretherns'

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
those are not forms of Catholocisim........they are forms of Christianity

top topics

<<   2 >>

join