It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted: Free Folder Locking Software.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I've been looking around for some free software that will allow me to lock or encrypt individual folders from other users of the PC.
So far I can only find free trials that expire after 30 days or after so many uses.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a free bit of software, it would be much appreciated.

I'm running Win 98SE.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
here is a link to a number of shareware and demos that you can use to lock down WIN98.
www.tucows.com... ryption/

Suggestion..... upgrade

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I too am seeking similar software but for XP sp2... anyone know anything?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
XP has a fairly good encryption itself.
If you right click on a folder, then select security. You can select who can access a file or folder.
You can also click on the General tab then click on the advanced button.
You can encrypt the file or folder there.
Hope that is what you are looking for

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I've started looking through the list at Tucows, and just tried out Cryptainer. The free version only allows 25 MB of space, so it's not what I was after. But I'll keep looking.

The suggestion of upgrading is valid but not an option. I have too many computers and it would cost too much money. I have Win XP on a duel bootable system (I always use 98 on that computer anyway) but that won't help me on the other computers.
Plus, I just love Win 98SE, I'm used to it.

If anyone knows of a specific program that will password protect a single folder in Win 98, I'd love to take a look at it.
The program need not encrypt, that's not a necessity.

FREE is the word of the day.
Thanks......................................

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I'm using a loopback encrypted filesystem under Linux. Also feasible under Windows XP with Encrypting File System (EFS) however I never tried that yet.

What it does is encrypting the entire partition on the hard drive, you must enter your password on boot up. Files are encrypted live, so if the computer crash or if a burglar unplug it to steal it, your data remain unreadable to unauthorised eyes.

new topics

top topics

join