It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking of vaccines...cervical cancer vaccine success!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

The first major study of an experimental vaccine to prevent cervical cancer found it was 100 percent effective, in the short term, at blocking the disease and lesions likely to turn cancerous....

Source

More here

We've known about the link between cervical cancer and HPV for quite some time now - though we don't yet really know what, if any, side effects are going to be an issue here - for most women (if only because HPV is so prevalent; acccording to a 1997 JAMA article, nearly three in four Americans between the ages of 15 and 49 have been infected with genital HPV at some point in their life), this vaccine may well save the lives of millions of women around the world.

And that's gotta be a good thing.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Interesting saw it on the news.Unfortunatly i can't find how profitable this will be for the company

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Profits? This is about saving lives for gods sake,my mother was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer in its early stages and if this can prevent people going through the ordeal we call the "waiting game" im all for it role it out and give it in schools along with MMR and other vacinations.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkeva
Profits? This is about saving lives for gods sake,my mother was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer in its early stages and if this can prevent people going through the ordeal we call the "waiting game" im all for it role it out and give it in schools along with MMR and other vacinations.

i truly am sorry for your mothers help and if you read i did say that this is a positive thing.But look at the other side of this(im still scouring more info)How much the companies stock went up on the stock market on this announcment.They released because there's money to be made.Simple.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Cervical Cancer Vaccine.

you just love to believe a fairy story dont you ?

This vaccine is actually a conspiracy to halt the alarming rise in teenage pregnancies.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy
Cervical Cancer Vaccine.

This vaccine is actually a conspiracy to halt the alarming rise in teenage pregnancies.

---

ok I really REALLY want to know how you came up with theory.

Like.............. REALLY!

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Not really; it's not approved yet to start with (they've just finished the first clinical trials, and are yet to gain FDA approval).

Drug company stocks jump every time a drug is in the news headlines..just as any other company when they discover/release a new product. Plus, they're not the only company working on this; Glaxo also have something similar in the pipeline; this instance boiled down to "whoever got there first".

Drug companies are businesses. They're not charities.....is it really wrong to make a profit on something you've made/discovered?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Cervical Cancer Vaccine.

Silly me.

You know...not everything has to be a conspiracy.

Then again, I'm the one who's actually experienced working with drug companies and the FDA. What would I know?

Perhaps more to the point though -- you're wrong.

Teen pregnancies have been declining. Not increasing.

In the UK

And the US

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
you work for the FDA ?

no wonder.

it makes sense now.

it would be unnatural for you NOT to toe the official line.

i didn't say EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.

why can't you see that not EVERYTHING government tells us is true. they have been known to lie on many occasions. thats the nature of politcians: To lie by default.

anyway, teen pregnancies are getting so bad that now "education" authorities are suggesting sick proposals to schools:

observer.guardian.co.uk...

---

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
No, I don't work for the FDA. Read the post a little more fully.

I've worked with the FDA; just as I've worked with drug companies trying to obtain FDA approval, and just as I've worked as a patient advocate "against" both the drug company in question, and the FDA. Sorry to burst your little bubble there.

Despite your perception, nobody is even vaguely suggesting that we should believe everything we're told - however, your agenda seems to be one which places anyone who disagrees with you firmly in the column labelled "must believe everything they're told".

Moving on though.

I've read the Observer article. Now, can you show me where it says teen pregnancies are on the rise, as you claim? In fact, your own link notes:

Now the government will recommend the scheme, called A Pause, to schools throughout England and Wales following the success of the trial in 104 schools where sexual intercourse among 16-year-olds fell by up to 20 per cent...

(Emphasis mine)

Did you notice that? Less sex = lower rate of teen pregnancies. Your link actually supports my point better than it does yours!

We know teen pregnancies are a problem. We know that some areas have astronomically high rates, too.

And we also know that despite these frightening figures, teen pregnancies are actually on the decline.

[edit on 8/10/05 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

i truly am sorry for your mothers help and if you read i did say that this is a positive thing.But look at the other side of this(im still scouring more info)How much the companies stock went up on the stock market on this announcment.They released because there's money to be made.Simple.

Tarzan that wasnt a personal attack at yourself. The fact is that the drug should be paid for in full or partly by the government(s) and children should be vaccinated in school for free(or a small fee),drugs like these should be freely avaible as opposed to drugs like paracetamol

And thanks for your concerns about my mother, she will be fine, but we had to wait to find that out and belive me thats the worst part.Thats why I think this drug should be made avaible to every woman, this drug can not only prevent cancer but can save familys heartbreak and stress as opposed to drugs for minor alements which are fair game to make a profit out of.

Lets put the items on the scales here lives or money?

[edit on 8-10-2005 by Merkeva]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article that RANT had brought attention to in another thread.

Newscientist

Seems the christian right is more worried about premarital relations rather than helping save peoples lives. Hopefully this vaccine is the real deal and the FDA doesn't get swayed by the protests.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I am glad that this vaccine is going to help young women and my daughter is going to benefit from it.

The vaccine is to target young women that are not sexually active of just starting.

I told my 21 year old daughter that as soon is available to get her shot.

This one of those occasion that I am happy with something that pharmaceuticals are doing.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Is this the vaccine that is 100 % effective? I'm more interested in how they got to this novel vaccine, they maybe able to come up with other vaccines for other cancers.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Is this the vaccine that is 100 % effective? I'm more interested in how they got to this novel vaccine, they maybe able to come up with other vaccines for other cancers.

The vaccine attacks the HPV - that's the virus commonly associated with cervical cancer. Thus it would only really be useful in preventing cancers which are also caused by viruses, such as Burkitt's Lymphoma (associated with the Epstein-Barr virus) and some primary liver cancers (caused by Hepatitis B).

Info on HPV and cancer

To answer the question about the FDA and the religious right (dare I say..the religious "wrong", in this case?) - it's very unlikely that the FDA would cave under that sort of pressure. Merck aren't the only ones chasing this vaccine - as of today, we know of at least one other major pharma. company trying to obtain the first FDA approval (Glaxo SmithKline). Between the hugely influential pharmaceutical companies and the pressure to reduce these cancer rates, I think it's a given that the vaccine will gain approval and become available...perhaps as soon as next year.

Thankfully - very, very thankfully - the religious right simply don't have enough influence in this scenario.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

Thankfully - very, very thankfully - the religious right simply don't have enough influence in this scenario.

Yeah it's the Corporate Right/Left that rules here

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   

you work for the FDA ?

no wonder.

it makes sense now.

it would be unnatural for you NOT to toe the official line.

i didn't say EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.

why can't you see that not EVERYTHING government tells us is true. they have been known to lie on many occasions. thats the nature of politcians: To lie by default.

anyway, teen pregnancies are getting so bad that now "education" authorities are suggesting sick proposals to schools:

observer.guardian.co.uk...

Thank god there's someone on this board who can see some truth in things.It's unfortunate the tinkle flower cannot think outside the square sometime.And yes drug comapnies are buisnesses thinking not only of the public but the countless medical professionals who rely on them for genereating an income.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Tarzan, did you miss vital parts of this thread?

Let me clarify one more time.

I do not work for the FDA. I have never worked for the FDA. I have, however, worked with patients "against" the darn FDA, and "against" certain drug companies. I've also worked on drug trials themselves. And I've worked in a library. And at the corner store.

Did you even read the links supplied? The ones which provide direct evidence contradicting mr conspiracy's unproven claims? Have you done any of your own research at all, perhaps investigating those claims before jumping onto that particularly inaccurate bandwagon?

Is the need to believe "it's all a conspiracy" so overwhelming that it renders a poster unable to fact-find for themselves?

Edited: not worth it.

[edit on 9/10/05 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
No, I don't work for the FDA. Read the post a little more fully.

I've worked with the FDA...

this is just like saying:

"Oh, please, I was never working FOR al Qaeda, I was only WITH them for a while."

Twinkle, lol... at ATS, either you are with us, or you are with the government.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
You have absolutely no clue how it works, do ya?

No, it's really not like that at all. Really. In this context, the word "with", simply means: I had daily contact with various employees of the FDA.

Just as I had daily contact with many lawyers (does this mean I'm a lawyer? Or that I work for a law firm? Of course not).

And just as I had (and have) daily contact with many patients and many medical professionals.

Now, I do have a more serious question.

Do you have anything to say regarding your claims that teen pregnancies are on the rise? Anything to say regarding the other information presented?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join