It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cats/Dogs Pros and Cons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
First off, I would like to say we all have different likes and dislikes. Its natural to have dislikes, but you have to realise that someone can feel completely different and its just as true for them. (A good example of this philosophy would be its fine to dislike music, but its unfair to expect others to dislike music you do, beauty in the eye of the beholder)

So, I have a cat, I have never owned a dog, so, that's my bias.

Ok so lets go.

Cats
Pro:Low Maintence
Chill
Affectionate
Trainable
Doesn't need constant attention

Cons:
I kind of get the impression my cat usually thinks me of a nuscance he has to put up with, mildly affectionate at times.
If its indoor, you have to deal with cat crap or it stinks up your house.
If not spayed or neuterd it may spray, smell worse, go into heat and bug the # out of you, or worse, make more of itself.
Can be moody, some cats will take revenge on you if you leave for days at a time.
Like all pets, may caus you more money on medicle bills.
Dies

Dogs
Pros:
A dog is your companion in a way no other pet can.
Energetic (a con for me, I'm pretty lazy, but not everyone is)
I know theres alot more, but I've never been there for the "family" dog moments, just seeing friends, so I really don't know.
Can be very easy to train

Cons:
Dies.
Have to clean up #.
Kills your lawn.
Can be very hard to train.
Needs attention, will become evil if ignored.
Barks

So, theres never really a better pet. It's all perspective.

I don't know, its late, I'm rambling, whatever.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I grew up with having cats for about 20 years, I love them. I am rather bias, especailly when my neighbors have badly trained dogs

Cats:
Pro:
Beyond litter training, no training is required
If needed can, fend for itself outside on its own
Owner is a mother figure to them
Very expressive with tails/ears/wiskers to aid in communication. Even with limted vocal methods. In fact I was able to reconize 8 differant sounds as a form of communication. Food, water, Where are you?, I cant go to the bathroom cause the litter box is a mess, I want to go out, I want to come in, It is good to see you/I missed you, I am really upset
Cleans self
Not restricted by the many "dog laws" requiring leashes
COvers spoor
Purrs
Loves to cuddle and get pettings

Cons:
Shedding
Hard to impossible to teach them 'tricks' unless they want to do them first
Having to clean the litter box
sometimes tries to bring wildlife into house
Sharp claws used on furniture

Dogs
Pro
DOgs are very loyal
Treat owner as Alpha male of pack.
Fairly easy to train
dont shed as much as cats

Con
Need to give them bath
Need to give them exercise
Need to pick-up after #2
Have to train them in order to have a well behaved dog
Must be strict with dog since owner is alpha male.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I just know I have a bunch of cats sponging off my good will.
I have four cats....

I can't cook without them watching me.....
I can't eat without them wanting some of my food.....
I can't sleep without them ALL climbing onto the bed with us.......
I can't sit on the toilet without one of the pawing at the door to get in.......
I can't lie in a tub of hot water without cats sitting on the side of the bathtub......

I love them though, they are part of the family and I never feel self-conscious in front of them.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
How to give your Cat a Pill:

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrive cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear
paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe.
Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cats head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep
shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges.
Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetnus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road.
Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid
cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind
tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from
shed. Force cat's mouth open with small wrench. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 1/2 pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while
doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from
right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

How to give your Dog a Pill:

1. Wrap it in bacon.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I've given pills to both cats and dogs, you're sooooo right.
For the laugh I just had, you get one of these:

You have voted Benevolent Heretic for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I find with cats that if you miss it on the first try, you wait till later and let the cat mellow out.
On the first try, shove that pill as far down its throat as you can. If you get it past that little hump they make at the back of their tongue, they have to swallow it.
Watch out for yack-back, they have an amazing ability to regurgitate.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Cats:

Pro:
Doesn't need much maintenance: Food, water, litterbox (ymmv with longhaired breeds)
Can keep itself groomed _but_ enjoys being groomed
Is comfortable staying indoors for all of its life _but_can be taken outside if needed
Cuddly
Affectionate (when it feels like it)
Purrs

Cons:
Can cause mayhem and destruction if they feel like it, since they can climb almost anywhere in the house
Unspayed cats will spray/get into heat, which can cause problems
Like to trip you over on nightly walks to the bathroom

Dogs:

Pros:
Can be trained to do all kinds of stuff
Come in all sizes and shapes
Worship you, the owner, as their deity
Will drag your lazy behind outside for a walk
Can serve as security/alarm system

Cons:
Need to be groomed regularly, at least nails and wash occasionally
Need to be taken out for a walk &c several times a day
If not treated/trained correctly, will try to become master of the house
Dogs can destroy stuff out of boredom... (Action starts around 4 minutes into the video. In the beginning you can hear us leaving & closing the door. Total runtime about 26 minutes. The dog somehow managed to turn the camera off (which was subsequently found on the floor...)

Both will keep you company but will eventually die - on the average cats seem to live longer, large breed dogs will usually die earlier than smaller ones. Both need regular visits to the vet and might get sick and require costly medical attention.

And the main difference:

You give cat food, cat think it's god
You give dog food, it thinks you're a god

I like both, but if I was alone by myself, I'd rather have a cat than a dog.

[edit on 7/10/05 by Count]

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretice, that was just too funny

Originally posted by Count
You give cat food, cat think it's god
You give dog food, it thinks you're a god

That's so true, and one of the main reasons I'm more of a dog person than a cat person--I need the ego boost.

As far as the pros and cons go, everyone's already stated what I would've said. The only thing I could add is that when a puppy's got to go, you need to take it out regardless of what time of the morning it is. And they aren't afraid to let you know they need to be let out--I've had my puppy for about two weeks now, and in that time I think the best night's sleep I had was when she only had to be let out once. I count my blessings for that night...

I've had several of each over the years, and I've found that, for me at least, it all depends on my mood which one I prefer more. If I'm in an upbeat, kinda hyper mood, you can't beat a dog--they just seem so much more playful than a cat, much happier and much more energetic. I know cats, especially kittens, are extremely playful at times, they just don't have the same energetic feel about them.

When I'm wanting to sit back and just chill out for a while, you can't beat a cat for just hanging out. Calm, laid back, don't care about nothing as long as you're petting them and they have food to eat. They aren't trying to get you to throw the ball or play tug with your pants legs; they'll just chill out with you (most of the time.)

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Cat Pro

Could care less if you are there until it is time to eat. Basically you don't own a cat you just feed on everynow and then
Burries it's own poo
Don't weigh 100lbs and think it's a lap kitty
Eats mice/other rodents
Can lay in bed with you without slobbering all over you
Don't smell like a dog
Independent, you can go on vacation for a week without worry. Just leave 3-4 bowls of water out and about 3-4 pounds of food.
Can buy cans of tuna for less then catfood

Cat Con

Brings you "presents"(It's ok when dead, but they bring in a live hare/rabbit or opossum hard to catch)
If you make one mad please wear jeans, hard for them to tear you apart
All cats I have had were spayed/neutered so no problem there

Dog Pro

Stupid/Smart Either way you can make them do what you want
Large ones can scare people away if they try to break in
Loyal

Dog Con

Slobber
Smell
Stupid, 120lbs dog thinks it's a lap dog
Need attention 24/7 since to them everything is "forever" you leave for 5 minutes and come back you were gone forever, scratch their ear, they think you will do it forever
Dig holes, inside or outside
Eat anything, crap, expensive shoes, mattress, socks...

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
We have 2 of each.

Cats Pro:
Watching a kitty drink water.
Can leave them for days

Cats Con:
Whining for dinner
Claws

Dogs Pro:
Egg Shell disposal
Trained to lick my feet (becaue I like that)

Beautiful
Guard dogs
I always come home to love
They can go camping

Dogs Con:
Can't think of a thing - My dogs are perfect.

top topics

join