It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phones to Help You Kick the Habit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I wish they had this when I quit. Man, I am still going to use it even though I havent smoked in a year! Unless you shouldnt!

Smokers desperate to give up cigarettes could soon resort to a small program on their mobile phone or PDA. It would throw up a series of flickering dots on the screen, which psychologists say seem to break some of the mental processes that drive the need for another nicotine fix.

The idea has been tested in the lab on a desktop computer in a controlled study on students.

But researcher Dr John May, from Sheffield University, UK, said it was something that could quite possibly find its way on to portable devices in the not too distant future.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   
that's amazing! I don't plan on quitting smoking anytime soon, but I'm quite sure I will eventually, and it'll be good to have stuff like that in my arsenal. that's a really neat idea!

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 02:57 PM
link   
That is quite a good idea,i have been trying to give up for years and i just can't do it..Im even considering going to a hypnotist to see if that works..

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I know several people who tried everything to quit and finally were able to by going to a hypnotist. Whatever it takes, thats how I look at it...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Unless these flickering dots are actually hypnotising them for use at a later date.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Thanks, but no thanks! I don't want to quit, but if I did, I wouldn't substitute lung cancer for a brain tumor! Those damn mobile phones........evil radioctive leeches they are!

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Just what I need. Another expensive way to find out I'm still addicted to smokes. I have found the cheapest way to quit smoking is to die from it. Everything out there to make you quit is expensive, and none of them have worked for me yet.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
I know several people who tried everything to quit and finally were able to by going to a hypnotist. Whatever it takes, thats how I look at it...

How does it work though,did they tell you what happened when they went to see a hypnotist?

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Yes. The hypnotist puts you into a very deep state of relaxation, then goes through a whole set of statements that are meant to reinforce your desire to quit. Note, you must want to quit for it to work, or so I am told. My friend who just had this done to him said that he almost felt as if he were sleeping, that the hypnotist went through all these things, like picturing an orange fluid taking all of the poisons out of your body, imagining how good you will feel when you dont smoke etc..

Bottom line is he quit immedietely, with no severe withdrawls.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Zyban is another good way to quit. However it is also an anti depresant, so you get to feel good the whole time you are trying to quit.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
cgshade.com

for anyone in the middle of a nic fix.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 05:48 AM
link   
so why the # is this not available as a free download so more peeps can benefit?

#s!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'd use it if it were shown to be effective.

but it should be free imho

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Be careful that the man is not trying to program you to run up big cellphone bills!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
Zyban is another good way to quit. However it is also an anti depresant, so you get to feel good the whole time you are trying to quit.

I'm starting Zyban/Wellbutrin next week, both to help me quit smoking and as the antidepressant.
Now to just keep a hypnotist on speed dial on the cell phone while the flashing dots go across the screen....

-B.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Banshee have you thought about using the patch? It worked for me, I havent had a butt in over a year. However, I did have nightmares about automobile accidents and people eating each others flesh! ( :| No Joke) But it passed, I was only on the patch for around 8 or 10 weeks I think...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
Banshee have you thought about using the patch? It worked for me, I havent had a butt in over a year. However, I did have nightmares about automobile accidents and people eating each others flesh! ( :| No Joke) But it passed, I was only on the patch for around 8 or 10 weeks I think...

This was also one of the options I've had in mind, along with the gum. My sis is using the gum right now, and it's going so-so...but they're still on the "to try" list.
I'm trying the Zyban first because I take antidepressants to begin with. My doc suggested I try Wellbutrin (aka Zyban) due to it having good effects on both problems.

To be honest, though, I have bad mental images of me popping the Zyban while covered in patches from head to toe with a mouthful of nicotine gum and a cigarette firmly between my lips.

-B.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   
BE VERY careful with welbutrin/Zyban... I had a friend go a little NUTZ on that stuff... READ all the "warnings/side effects" B4 you take it PLEASE....

I know a guy who was just how you descrbed, covered in patches, chewing the gum and burning a Winston! He nearly fainted from his heart rate being so elevated!

I am a smoker too, and I KNOW how hard it is to quit! # I've kicked just about EVERYTHING there is to KICK but the smokes are the WORST!

Good luck to you! If I can help you GOT IT!

PEACE...
m...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I really have my doubts about the gum. I have seen too many people just switch addictions that way, they cant get off of the gum and eventually start smoking again. That was the good thing about the patch, it slowly stepped me off of the nicotine, and I had no where near the withdrawls I would have had otherwise.

The Zyban is very good, just be determined to quit once you start on it. I was put on it (Wellbutrin) several years ago, and I totally lost all urges to smoke. However I didnt want to quit, I wasnt ready so I continued to smoke anyhow.

Good luck to you though, remember the #s out of your blood in like 3 days so after that its all about fighting yourself!

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
BE VERY careful with welbutrin/Zyban... I had a friend go a little NUTZ on that stuff... READ all the "warnings/side effects" B4 you take it PLEASE....

I know a guy who was just how you descrbed, covered in patches, chewing the gum and burning a Winston! He nearly fainted from his heart rate being so elevated!

I am a smoker too, and I KNOW how hard it is to quit! # I've kicked just about EVERYTHING there is to KICK but the smokes are the WORST!

Good luck to you! If I can help you GOT IT!

PEACE...
m...

Thanks Springer.

The Zyban/Wellbutrin is going to be my 4th different antidepressant now, so I know full well the warning signs of a medication that is no good for me.
The Effexor put me in the ER because they thought I was having a stroke -- I doubt this one can be any worse than that!

One at a time is my strategy for stop-smoking aids. I joke about the above scenario, but it all honesty I'd never actually buy all that stuff at the same time!!

-B.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join