It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Python Bursts After Trying to Eat Gator

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
A Burmese python has been found in the Everglades burst open after having tried to ingest a six-foot alligator. The pythons were introduced to the Everglades by pet owners abandoning pets. Approximately 150 pythons have been captured in the Everglades in the last two years.

news.yahoo.com
The alligator has some foreign competition at the top of the Everglades food chain, and the results of the struggle are horror-movie messy.

A 13-foot Burmese python recently burst after it apparently tried to swallow a live, six-foot alligator whole, authorities said.

The incident has heightened biologists' fears that the nonnative snakes could threaten a host of other animal species in the Everglades.

"It means nothing in the Everglades is safe from pythons, a top-down predator," said Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor.

Over the years, many pythons have been abandoned in the Everglades by pet owners.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is almost as good as the alligators in the New York sewer system urban legend, only true. The pythons are in direct competition with the alligators and it has been hoped that the gators could help to exterminate the snakes from the Florida swamps. Others are not so hopeful. There is a threat to humans, especially small children, from the snakes, but as yet, officials say that the threat is minimal.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wow...that's really all I can say...

If you didn't click on the story, do so for the pic!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention the picture. A kind of "poetic justice" there, I think.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
A case of eyes bigger than his stomach...
bigger than his whole frellin body is more like it...

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Interesting thread, two of the oldest predators on the planet in combat. Burst? I think the artical had it right, the alligator clawed it's way out. Ally's can go a long time without air, not a common thing for constrictor prey.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Strange picture, but as I hate snakes I onky have one thing to say.............GO GATORS!

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Try it with a crocodile and the snake wouldn't get past the "Gee, that looks yummy, I wonder if I could swallow that" stage before it met a swift demise.

[edit on 2005-10-5 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Its rare that a constrictor doesn't kill its prey before eating. Must have been very hungry, intrepid is more than likely right about the gator clawing its way out, and still died because of the snakes bell acids.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If you have broadband, you might be able to get a video of this story here. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.

www.comcast.net...

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What an amazing picture and story. I knew anacondas would eat gators, but I had no idea boas would--serves the thing right.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Does anyone know if the snake was named Mr Creosote?

Because then, the story would make much more sense..

"I'll have the lot"

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
What an amazing picture and story. I knew anacondas would eat gators, but I had no idea boas would--serves the thing right.

It was a Python and a reticulated python can grow just as big, if not bigger than an anaconda.

It was a Burmese Python, they can get around 18 foot, a male anyway.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Does anyone know if the snake was named Mr Creosote?

What a dreadful movie, but I get your drift.

arago4.tn.utwente.nl...

[edit on 2005/10/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I really don't want to see a photo of a popped python but all I can say talk about heartburn...pass the pepcid.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Grady,

As soon as I saw the headline "Python Bursts" thats all that came to mind...
a wafer thin mint?

a college roomate of mine, years ago..Had a Reticulated Python as a pet..
Usually fed it rats...But one day the Pet store was out of Rats, so he used a Guinea Pig..It was horrible..We had to leave the house, as the poor critter squealed for hours...the Python had a less than perfect grip on the thing..

Moral? Neve use a Guinea Pig, as a Guinea Pig, for a rat...

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I also had a house mate many years ago in my misspent youth who owned a python. He fed it baby chickens. After it died, a mutual friend, an amateur and very highly regarded herpetologist, told him that there was not enough nutrients in a chick to keep a python alive and the poor beast starved to death. Sad, really, when you consider how long it took the poor thing to expire.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Poor thing..
I guess it's pretty hard to tell when a snake has ricketts though.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Mice a rats for my baby. Once got a Guinea Pig when Sweet Feed had no rats, my baby had no problem. Of course she grabs mice/rats right out of my hand sometimes. Lt. Lust will eat anything, give me that gator!(Kidding, she only 5+feet long, so could eat a cat if I was cruel)

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There are probably a billion feral cats in New Orleans right now wondering where all those free meals went since the flood. You could go down there and round up a lifetime supply for the snake while the getting's good.

Google Search

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Amazing, I watched this earlier on the news and wasn't aware that these pythons were feeding on gators. We do have an ever growing python problem in the Everglades. They are not native to the environment and bring a host of new problems. I hope they continue to remove them and monitor the situation closely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join