It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the British finally finalised what the British carrier look like and whats the name of the class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
the last i heard was that the Brits and the Frenchies are still wrangling over the design of the carrier that would meet both of their specifications and so on. so i was wondering if anibody has seen recently about wat the finalised carrier would look like. i want to see it.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
the last i heard was that the Brits and the Frenchies are still wrangling over the design of the carrier that would meet both of their specifications and so on. so i was wondering if anibody has seen recently about wat the finalised carrier would look like. i want to see it.

No they have a rough idea but thats it,
www.royal-navy.mod.uk...
Good site...

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
No they have a rough idea but thats it,
www.royal-navy.mod.uk...
Good site...

thanks for the info, devil. i hope to see the final product but at least i have the general idea wat the Brits and the French are close to having. i was expect the American conventional hull that the Brits would copy but i guess it was too expensive for their budget. the French carrier De Gaulle is also expensive.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Whats the variant of the JSF they mention in that article, Anyone know the difference between that one and the standard US JSF?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
the carriers are ment to be getting the JSF-C which is the STOVOL version. The carriers are also designed to be easily retrofitted with the cats if we decide to go for another type of aircraft. They should just over 60,000 dwt and are due to have the first steel cut in the next 18 months (at least that was the plan before the french joined in). The UK ones will be designated the Queen Elizabeth class. with the two ships being HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales.

[edit on 6-10-2005 by paperplane_uk]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Does naming a ship the "HMS Prince of Whales" really make sense to yall? it's a title, it woudl be like the US naming a ship "USS Speaker of the House" (not that that's an equivelant title but still) I dont know it may make more sense to those of you from Britain. Just a thought i had

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I´m not a Brit, but the reason for the name "Prince of Wales" seems pretty obvious to me. For more than 700 years it is tradition to appoint the first son, or respectively the heir/ess to the throne, as Prince/Princess of wales. So with a ship, this may have to meanings:
a. symbolizing the ship´s importance for the following generation;
b. referring to the ship´s power as only "second" to the monarch.
c. to emphasize the symbolic status of royalty.

In addition, "Prince of Wales wasa common name for Royal Navy ships, and in the last 2 centuries particularly powerful ships were christened such. This is similar to the name "Enterprise" in the US Navy, where ships of the name of "Enterprise" have been of importance in the last centuries. And again, particularly in the last century it referred to outstanding ships, and even the first space shuttle was named so.

So it also looks just like a tradition keep these names alive.

top topics

join