It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Issues Content Warning to Combat-Zone Bloggers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Be careful ladies and gentelmen....big brother is watching!

www.military.com...

you can fight and die for your country, but you'll go to prison if you talk about it online. i understand the security concerns, but i think they are going way overboard here. the government complains about the news media's liberal slant on the war, but then doesnt let the warriors tell their side (and the majority have very pro-american things to say).

we trust them with our lives, i think we can afford to trust their discretion on the net.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have to strongly disagree with you here. The past couple of years have shown us how dangerous and deadly loose communications can be.

i understand the security concerns

Sorry, but I don't think you really grasp the security concerns. Once again, we can look back at the past couple years and learn from them.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
could you be a little more specific? maybe an example or two?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Abu Ghraib and Newsweek. Geraldo Rivera's reason for being booted out of Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Abu Ghraib and Newsweek. Geraldo Rivera's reason for being booted out of Afghanistan.

um, its my understanding that the abu ghraib pictures involved a whistle blower from the command....im not aware of anything being posted online by military members.

as for newsweek and geraldo: im not talking about the media....they have proven time and again that they cant be trusted with classified info. im talking (as is the article) about our soldiers sailors and marines who are being kept from telling there sides of the story.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I don't think their intent is to stop soldiers from telling their side of the story, their concern is for someone to say something like this “Yeah, when I was in Iraq me and my team routinely crossed into the Iranian side of the border to patrol the passes frequently used by the foreign terrorists”, you can see how that could cause problems.

In my opinion they have nothing to worry about, as I don think our men and women in uniform would discuss classified or sensitive material online, but then again, it never hurts to be safe..

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Does "Bay of Pigs" ring the bell?

The marine landing in Somalia?

Becareful of loose info.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Too often, bloggers do not realize they are giving out info that can be used.

"So, when the 12 trucks left the gate at 1300, like we do every day, I called the front gun truck; "Hey Bravo 6, why do you get to lead all the time?"

He just told time, location, and personel.

Innocent sounding to Mom and Dad, but plenty of info for a bad guy.

They have Internet too.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I don't think their intent is to stop soldiers from telling their side of the story, their concern is for someone to say something like this “Yeah, when I was in Iraq me and my team routinely crossed into the Iranian side of the border to patrol the passes frequently used by the foreign terrorists”, you can see how that could cause problems.

In my opinion they have nothing to worry about, as I don think our men and women in uniform would discuss classified or sensitive material online, but then again, it never hurts to be safe..

true, it never hurts to be safe, but as a ring knocker, you know as well as i do no one's going to be dumb enough to talk about classified info (and if they do, then they deserve the courtmartial). i'm just worried that the government is going to end up suppressing a valuable insight from those whose opinions count more than anyone else's IMHO.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
Be careful ladies and gentelmen....big brother is watching!

www.military.com...

you can fight and die for your country, but you'll go to prison if you talk about it online. i understand the security concerns, but i think they are going way overboard here. the government complains about the news media's liberal slant on the war, but then doesnt let the warriors tell their side (and the majority have very pro-american things to say).

we trust them with our lives, i think we can afford to trust their discretion on the net.

um Uh-oh?

Me in trouble?

top topics

join