It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organ regeneration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hi,
Just remembered seeing something on tv the other day that in the future xenotransplantation will have to be seriously considered due to the short supply of organs.

My query is,Where is the scientific world in regards to organ regenration?.It seems that it would be a huge breakthrough worldwide and it could easily be considered the antibiotics of the 21st century.

The only link i have found is of an indian doctor who has been given a patent to continue his research.
www.indianexpress.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Anyone care to add anything to this topic.Is this at all feasable as it sounds promosing

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
One interesting advance that I read a few months ago involved the concept of 'faxing' organs through a 3D printer. It was in Popular Science in the June 2005 issue if I remember correctly, but the site won't let me access the full article.

Although faxed organs and 3D printers seem farfetched, 3D printers have already been made, and things like the Taj Mahal have been created with gelatin as printers construct a 3D model broken down into many layers and stack them one on top of the other. The problem with making organs, well, major problem with this is that so far scientists have been unsuccessful in printing live cells that survive the procedure, and act like the organs they are meant to act like.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
zhangmaster, said technique is obsolete before it even gets invented lol Check out the link I posted above

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
haha, I know, I read it through before posting. It really is an interesting find, and I checked out the Wistar institute for Ellen Heber-Katz because I don't know about the newspaper you linked to. She exists, and her research is exactly as described. The technology of faxing organs is not obsolete though. Nothing was said about an ability of the mice to fight off diseases like cancer, and I'd guess that other problems such as those that result ffrom years of heavy drinking may not be repairable. In that case, fax me a new liver!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Here is a more indepth article on that regen technique.

www.wired.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Very interesting. Have the winstar done there keynote presenatation on there technonlogy or is this presentation pretty much it.I ask this because there presentation was meant to be done is september and it was cancelled from recent memory.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Which keynote presentations from what conference are you talking about?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Which keynote presentations from what conference are you talking about?

I remember when the wisnstar institiute article was posted they were meant to do a keynote presentation which was eventually cancelled in september.Im not sure if the article you posted was the actual presentation itself or something else.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Probably waiting to publish in a peer-reviewed journel first. I say take their time and get everyone interested so we can develop this technology as fast as possible. I really cannot wait until that article comes out, I'll be buying it as it is Human History in the making IMHO.

EDIT: From the Wired Article

Heber-Katz presented new data showing that the strain of mice can also grow back severed digits at the Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence conference in Cambridge, England.

Is this the conference you were talking about?

[edit on 12-10-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Probably waiting to publish in a peer-reviewed journel first. I say take their time and get everyone interested so we can develop this technology as fast as possible. I really cannot wait until that article comes out, I'll be buying it as it is Human History in the making IMHO.

EDIT: From the Wired Article

Heber-Katz presented new data showing that the strain of mice can also grow back severed digits at the Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence conference in Cambridge, England.

Is this the conference you were talking about?

[edit on 12-10-2005 by sardion2000]

I beleive you are right mate.That appears to be the conference I was alluding to.Now the only thing i want is a time frame for human implementation.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'd say 10 years but that is just a wild guess. All the promise the Biotech sector showed in the 80s is going to come true next Decade IMO. It's my opinion that the speed of technological progress is increasing exponentially now. It seems great leaps in knowledge are happening closer and closer together.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I'd say 10 years but that is just a wild guess. All the promise the Biotech sector showed in the 80s is going to come true next Decade IMO. It's my opinion that the speed of technological progress is increasing exponentially now. It seems great leaps in knowledge are happening closer and closer together.

10 year seems feasable.Hopefully sooner(one can only hope.)Let's hope the progess continues and there is no uneccasry intervention from groups or governmants slowing it's progress.On a side note sardion200 you have been on quite a while

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarzan

10 year seems feasable.Hopefully sooner(one can only hope.)Let's hope the progess continues and there is no uneccasry intervention from groups or governmants slowing it's progress.On a side note sardion200 you have been on quite a while

Eh I'm a night owl and am having trouble concentrating on studying lol. University I will not be able to do this heh. Damn I really wished I didn't have to go back and upgrade some high school credits lol.

On Topic - Zhang I got a question, why were you initially skeptical? I would think anyone knowledgable about Science in general would expect to see this sooner or later lol. Perhaps a bit too soon for ya caught you off guard? Lol me too heh

top topics

join