It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe getting out of highschool wasn't such a good thing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Now, let me start by saying I'm NOT going to be one of those people saying "Now that I look at it, I really miss highschool and wish I was back.". For the most part, I'm extremely happy to be rid of that burden, but there are some things that are really sucking right now.

It seems like I suddenly have almost zero friends! Please, if anyone else here can share a similar feeling, speak up! It seems like in High-school, I had plenty of friends! I always had something to do on the weekends, even though I don't drink or party. I had a lot of school friends, and a group of like 7 or 8 best friends that I would hang out with in rotation. Now, I'm down to like 3 friends that I can hang out with! One of which I don't hang out with often, and the other one I don't even like hanging out with that much! And my best friend is gone. I really miss him (Not to sound to girly). If anyone remembers my previous threads, he was the foreign exchange student from Brazil. For some reason, we just got along REALLY well and became great friends. I even went to his house for 2 weeks in Brazil when he had to go back! One of my other best friends moved to Indiana, and another one I can't stand anymore. Now it seems like I'm always either at school waiting to get home, at work waiting to get home, or at home bored to death and dreading leaving for school or work soon! To make it worse, my own older brother can't even stand me anymore haha. Normally he wouldn't be in my rant, but just now he did something that really pissed me off... He's lucky I'm a nice guy that respects him enough to not hit him or anything, cause I'm quite a bit bigger than him. Why does he think it's ok to just completely ignore me!?

Man... I can't believe that, looking back on it, the last part of senior year was probably the best time on my life. It was so obvious! Everyone told me that would happen, I was prepared for it, and I STILL didn't see it coming! I guess a lot of this can be contributed to everything hitting me at once... When I look back, everything was so great at that time. School was almost out, I didn't have to go to work, yet I still had plenty of money left over from my old job. I had my best friend, and we could go dirtbike riding all the time. I was going on the vacation of a lifetime in a matter of weeks, followed by another vacation to Catalina and then more summer... Yeah, that time of my life ruled. Then all of a sudden, WHAM!. I've got school, work, nothing coming up (Other than a cool concert and the holiday season), and very few friends to hang out with on my spare time...

I know I have it pretty good even right now... I'm not one of those people who thinks that my life sucks or anything, there are plenty of people out there who have it worse than me. But I'm entitled to vent about the bad things when I'm feeling down, right!?

And I'm familiar with the whole "Growing up" thing, so don't give me the "It's all part of getting older" thing.

Anybody make it through?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I graduated from high school in 1991, and oftentimes I miss those days. Sponge off your parents, don't have to worry about getting fired from a job. Believe you me, given what's going on in the world nowadays, a term paper seems so trivial.

What I miss the most was being in the marching band.

The crazy world aside, I'm pretty comfortable. I'm 32, been married for 12 years, have a son who's going on 4.

I just wish we didn't have the worries about bills. :bash:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I often think back about childhood and teenage friends. I also lost all but two of my old school friends when I left school and joined the Army. Sad thing is I eventually lost those two friends as well in the following years. It was a great feeling being able to go out late at night and hit the video game arcade or watch a movie. We usually followed that routine by staying over at a friend’s house and playing D&D! Yes, we were geeks no question about it but what a great bunch of geeks we were.

Having said all that I wouldn’t trade what I have now for any of that. My wife of twelve years and our four year old daughter make all of that look trivial by comparison. I have the usual grown up stresses but I give those all over to my God and he handles them. As for friends keeping them becomes more difficult as you grow older and your time and freedom dwindle down.

When you find yourself sad about the loss of your friends just open the Bible and read about the best friend you’ll ever have. He will never abandon you or change on you. He loves you far more than any earthly friend and unlike your earthly friends he doesn’t come and go. He waits quietly for you to come to him.

A True Christian
In These Last Days,

James

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If I had a choice, I'd go back all the way to the womb, not just to H.S.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If I had a choice, I'd go back all the way to the womb, not just to H.S.

That's a pretty dangerous place to be nowadays.

Me, I think I'd prefer around second grade. One of my best years (1980-81 school year).

Or my Head Start days (1977-78). Had school in the mornings, went home right after lunch, took the Head Start bus, had Wednesdays off, watched Sesame Street, Electric Company (my mother's convinced I learned how to read at that age by watching those)....

Kids tend to have less worries, the way I see it. Somehow a term paper or essay doesn't compare to financial worries.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thanks for you replies guys. I guess I'm not alone in this boat afterall
. It seems like everyone else in college has held on to their friends...and I haven't. I guess that might be because I like having good friends rather than multiple friends that I'm not very close to, even if they are better for parties. Hell, I don't even really party...so that's not a problem. But like I mentioned, one moved back to Brazil (I'll visit him again next year), one moved back to Indiana, and another friend...Well we can just say I realized she really wasn't that good a friend afterall. I'm pretty much left with 3 friends...and I don't even hang out with them often. Not a problem though, I've got more money, and I'm getting an education! I've got a girl after me, but I don't think it'd work out with her. Being a Christian, dating seems sort of pointless unless you REALLY want to be with the person all the time. I'm sure I'll make more friends overtime... In the mean time, I need to find something to do for Halloween!

I'm also thinking about joining the military. I'm not sure which branch. I might go into officer school, and enter the military as an officer. That's what my uncle did, and he wound up the commander of an a-team green beret (Special Forces) unit.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst

What I miss the most was being in the marching band.

i loved marching band in highschool...we had one of the best marching bands in the state of nebraska...i am going to audition for the cornhusker marching band in the summer when i go to college. marching band is the hardest thing for me to give up...i love it!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Herman:

You're in your first college semester no? Don't worry, you'll have lots of buds soon. If you don't get along at all with teh people you live with, move out, sooner rather than later, that way you might get roomed with some more amicable people. Join some clubs, that's a great way to meet up with people. Barring that, you can allways join a frat, there's allways a bunch of them, and they're usually pretty different from each other, shouldn't be too hard to find one that suits your personality.

But really, you're in college, your primary concern should be getting laid. (what, you thought I was going to say 'studying' )

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The only reason I'd go back to being young is to make smarter financial decisions so I could be retired now and chasing Big Foot full time.

Short of that I do cherish many memories but I wouldn't go back - I enjoy my freedom way way too much now.

As for you Herman do not worry - my first year in college went much the same way but greatly improved over time. If anything I miss my last years in college much more than anything else - heady times they were!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Miss High School? I hate High School, but not because of the school but the people. I can't stand being surrounded by the blondes, druggies, jocks, cheerleaders, and other assorted idiots. Yes I like band and my computer class is so easy, but the people, I hate people. I can't wait to graduate so I can go to college, you have to be smart to go their, or in Bush's case money.

Either OSU or BGSU, they have the best bands around here, although I may have to wait till my second year to make it since it is very hard to get on the band. One of the guys who graduated from here was the best in our band and yet was a secondary(back up I guess you would say) his first and second year at BGSU.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Full Metal
I can't wait to graduate so I can go to college, you have to be smart to go their,

Ignoring the irony for a moment....there are definitly a lot of 'not smart' people in college. College is like high school, but with no parents and more expensive recreational devices. Colleges have all the 'drama' and clique-iness of high school, heck, even more so, since there are lots more people.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

I can't wait to graduate so I can go to college, you have to be smart to go their,

Ignoring the irony for a moment....there are definitly a lot of 'not smart' people in college. College is like high school, but with no parents and more expensive recreational devices. Colleges have all the 'drama' and clique-iness of high school, heck, even more so, since there are lots more people.

My husband says that college is basically extended adolescence.

It's pretty sad that I have *only* a high school diploma, and my spelling and grammar are much better than that of a lot of college graduates. Where I used to work, when we had meetings, one of the ground rules was "spelling don't count."

My husband and I believe that if you want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't look or sound like a complete idiot.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

No, please, don't ignore that irony. Bask in all its gloriousness.

Anyway, I actually enjoy college a lot more as far as school goes. In my college, there is far less "clique"-ness. I just go to my classes, talk to some people that I like (Making new friends already I guess haha), and go home. It's pretty cool. But I do miss my friends... And the carelessness... And the not working... Argh, I miss a lot of it. But yeah, things change... I'll get over it. And Hell, I'm gonna be visiting my friend in Brazil again next summer, and one of my other friends is coming back for a month or so...

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Friends?
Were they really friends, or were they people you had to hang out with because you were all interned together?

Wait until your reunion. See what you have in common, still, with those friends.

In a few years you'll change your definition of "friends" and will decide you can counmt the number of friends on your fingers.

Determine what you want to do with life and get it in gear! No matter who else is around you through the years, you'll always be where you are, so you'd better get in a position to do what you like to do. Elsewise, the person you're with the most (you) won't be very happy!

Ok. I'm getting off the soap box now.

top topics

join