It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keystroke Loggers in Laptops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Thinking of buying a new Laptop?

Might want to reconsider or do some tech work to remove the key logger that has been put in it.

Devices capture everything you ever type, then can send it via your ethernet card to the Dept. of Homeland Security without your knowledge, consent or a search warrant each time you log onto the internet!

Read the whole story Here

What do the rest of you think? Good? Bad? Don't care?
I think it's pretty sad my self.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Very interesting...do you know when these "keystroke loggers" first appeared in laptops? I'm now eyeing mine suspiciously

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I will believe it when a reputable news source announces this story. I mean look at the other headlines on this Racist website you got the story from.

SAVAGE SPIC!
This sub-human beast ought to be physically siezed from the jail and be LYNCHED. His home should be attacked and burnt to the ground.

WHITE GIRL GANG RAPED!
FOURTEEN MEXICAN "FARM WORKERS" TOOK GIRL FROM HER HOME AND GANG RAPED HER FOR HOURS!
SAVAGE SPICS UNDER ARREST!
These Mexican mongrels ought to be physically siezed from the jail and be LYNCHED. Their home should be attacked and burnt to the ground.

Jew Filth:
PSYCHOTHERAPISTS ARRESTED FOR ENSLAVING MENTALLY ILL!
ALLEGEDLY MADE PATIENTS PERFORM SEX ACTS ON VIDEOTAPE!
In typical jew fashion, they billed Medicare nearly $1 million for the "therapy."

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
ah hum,

Excuse me, but I have had a lot of IBM's and Dells apart in the last five years, including the latest models (IBM T-42).

This part does not exist in any of them that I have taken apart. If you are worried about yours, the disassembly instructions can almost always be found online.

I do find two curious things along this line. A few really good spyware scanners will find a software keystroke logger on most IBM's. In addition, there is a special chip onboard most new pc's that is for "security" purposes. There is a bit of controversy over it.

Offtopic, but well documented along similar lines, the freedom of infomation act did show that the NSA worked with the big 3 companies on the first cell phone chips. They incorporated special properties into the for "special" purposes. I must presume they have done the same with Intel, and AMD for similar reasons. If so, there is no reason to put in a "hard" keystroke logger, is there?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
kinglizard:
>I will believe it when a reputable news source
>announces this story.

You do realize that other news sources are cited for all three of those articles, don't you?

>I mean look at the other headlines on this Racist
>website you got the story from.

Ad hominem arguments are rather unseemly coming from a moderator. Just because he has a racial agenda doesn't neccesarily mean his facts are wrong.

Now...as to the actual claim:

Atmel does not apear to have part# AT450041A in their Product Registry

I have sent them a letter of inquiry to see if it is a custom, client-specific chip. Should they respond, I will post their reply.

What else do we have?

There is an Urban Legend entry for this topic at snopes.com. They list it as "false." Admittedly, if you read the entry, their attempt at debunking isn't very convincing, but I do notice that the text of their example is almost identical to the text of the article on Hal Turner's site, with only a few minor changes. That looks bad.

But...

If you do a Google search for "atmel keylogger" it looks like they do manufacture chips often used in keylogging hardware. Their product catalog does specifically list "Military" and "Security" products, so it does basically sound like they would be the right company to go to if you did want something like this.

Finally...

I notice that in the article, the file number of the FOIA request has been blotted out. I understand blotting out the requestors name...but why the reference number? The only reason I can think of is it make it difficult to verify, and that looks suspicious.

So, I'm not ready to say "debunked" yet, but so far it doesn't look good. I'll post more when I have it.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
LordBucket, I guess what I’m saying is that racist “Turner” website is hell bent on selling hate and fear to anyone listening....that’s how they further their agenda. If they can convince you the Jews are eating white babies and that the government is installing key loggers in your laptop they gain the credibility and sympathy they are so desperately seeking. So Yes, I consider the source when reading these types of fallacious agenda backed reports and so should you.

Funny how all the links within the key logger story are 404…what a shock. Document doc1496a.gif…404…Document PIC16F876…404 and the other is just a sales sheet.

Anyway I’m not here to MAKE you believe anything, please do as you like and believe what you will. I guarantee I will do the same regardless of my “moderator” title as we have the right to express out beliefs like anyone else on this board.

Sieg Heil!....sorry I couldn’t resist. lol j/k

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This information was not originaly published on the site you linked to.
It was on a user space from some kid.

If he really did find this thing in his laptop, I can asure you it wasn't put there by Dell or anyone else officialy linked to the computer industry.

The only explination I can see for this(if it is real) is that the user in question must have had some questionable things going on in his life and one of the US agency's installed this keylogger in his laptop under the Patriot act, offcource without him knowing about it(they can and will bug the crap out of your house, phone, computers and whatever other place you communicate in/trough if they got a reason).

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This sounds a lot like the rumor that weatherbug was NSA spyware.

Of course I originally heard it from a valid source, who know if it was true or not.

EDIT: Originally weatherbug was suspected as being 3rd party NSA spyware because of an "NSA.dll" file found in the main software folder.

I've "taken apart" (smashed) a lot of laptops, but I've never seen any hardware components like that, or heard of one.

[edit on 10/5/2005 by Kalapadea]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Alex Jones just carried the story as well...

A friend of mine emailed him that it was an internet hoax after I informed him of LordBucket's post.

There is a fine line and a bit of information sharing between conspiracy and racist web sites - I certainly don't like it - but even the fringes of society can sometimes be a good source of information.

Assuming one already has a good moral compass to deflect their hateful propaganda.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet
Alex Jones just carried the story as well...

A friend of mine emailed him that it was an internet hoax after I informed him of LordBucket's post.

There is a fine line and a bit of information sharing between conspiracy and racist web sites - I certainly don't like it - but even the fringes of society can sometimes be a good source of information.

Assuming one already has a good moral compass to deflect their hateful propaganda.

Alex Jones is where I first caught this artical. I'm not sure if it's real or not I caught it just before I was going to bed last night and though I'ld Let those here at ATS pick it apart. Since I did not have time to do a full research on it I know ppl here could while I was at work today.

I'll look at info from just about any where even (I know I'll catch slack for this) FOX
I just didn't have time last night to check it out further. Thanks all for digging deeper.

Raist

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Personally, I think the article is really an advertisement for these folks:

www.keyghost.com...

What better way to get your paranoid audience's attention than to make outrageous claims about your product's use and provide a handy link.

[edit on 2005/10/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Maybe someone should send an email to the halturnershow to tell them how their "Master Race" fell for a 4 month old internet hoax!

Suckers!!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yeah it's suposedly a hoax.

www.engadget.com...
www.ioerror.us...

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
SwearBear,

Your avatar makes me laugh!

Looks like Alex Jones removed this story from his page after recieving my friends email (and probably others) about it not being legit.

Good for him! - and thanks LordBucket for the excellent debunking and for
keepeing us honest here at ATS!

Good work everyone!

top topics

join