It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Blast in British Columbia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Nanaimo, B.C. � Was it a sonic boom, a dynamite blast, or an asteroid hitting the earth?

Government and local emergency services were stumped Wednesday afternoon, unable to explain a powerful blast that shook Nanaimo from stem to stern.

The blast, which occurred around 1 p.m., was heard and felt as far south as Chemainus, and as far north as Nanoose.

Nanaimo RCMP say no damage or injuries had been reported.

One thing is fairly certain: it was not an earthquake, although it did register on a seismograph in Nanaimo.

"From the signature of the wavelength, it does not look like an earthquake, it looks like an explosion," said Alison Bird, an earthquake seismologist with the Geological Survey of Canada.

theglobeandmail.com...

What the heck is going in Canada? It wasn't blasting, at least they didn't have a permit. The were no Canadian jets in the air. And it wasn't an earthquake.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I was gonna say something to this effect,
I was outside smoking, ( i live in washington)
and I heard an increadible sonic boom, Just huge, like as if i was next to the jet engine myself, I searched the sky, (not a freaking cloud in it), nothing! no jet, no vapor trail, nothing.
It was like we were buzzed by and asteroid or something. but i would sure expect a vapor trail or smoke, or even seeing the object.
what ever it was hauled serious ass to go from horizon to horizon without even seeing it.

(I was out there with 4 other people, and we were all purplexed by it.)

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Not to cause a panic but the same thing has been reported in Minneapolis. Official line is that it was a pyrotechnic display...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You heard that # too Fury?

Im in Auburn , I thought it was one hell of a car backfiring!

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Perhaps because it's 9/11 they have (more) fighters patrolling the NYC/washington skies

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Zion-
These folks are over 1,000 miles WEST of NYC/Washington D.C....

Fury means Washington State, on the west coast.

Fury-
When did this happen?
PEACE...
m...

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by Springer]

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Once when I was taking my dog for a walk, the sky was all clear, no clouds.. no nothing.. then I heard a jet engine. I couldn't see a plane anywhere

I could only hear the roaring.. the sound was going in circles around me, even my dog listened to the sound. Then the sound stopped, just as suddenly as it started.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It happened yesterday afternoon.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The article talks about the atmospheric conditions for this sound to travel. I was just going to ask if we had an atmospheric scientist in the house. Then I stumbled on this on another board.

When talking about atmospheric sound "focusing", what the're really referring to is a phenomenon similar to a rogue wave. Just like waves in the water, sound waves in the air can travel at different speeds depending on their power and amplitude. When waves overtake each other, they can cancel each other out, or they can briefly combine and create a "rogue sound wave"...a noise that can be just as loud as the original blast (imagine standing two miles from a dynamite explosion, and hearing it as if you were two feet away). The waves will loose synchronization and break up quickly, but they can create a tremendous blast for the brief period of time they exist.

These waves REQUIRE an inversion layer to reflect the sound waves along the ground and keep the sound focused enough to get a decent wave overlap. It's uncommon to have an inversion layer low enough to do that, a sound big enough to be noticeable, and people standing in the area the amplified waves are focused in, but it does happen.

www.democraticunderground.org...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Zion-
These folks are over 1,000 miles WEST of NYC/Washington D.C....

Fury means Washington State, on the west coast.

Fury-
When did this happen?
PEACE...
m...

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by Springer]

This happened last week.
and it was way to loud and fast to be a fighter.
or even the SR71.
I'm telling you this # was fast as hell.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It happened AGAIN yesterday Skadi?!

P...
m...

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
It happened AGAIN yesterday Skadi?!

P...
m...

must have, cause i was pretty busy yesterday.
this noise shakes you to your nuts. i've never heard anything like it.

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If you guys can be anymore specific about the timing, I'll start checking the seis graphs in the area..

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by kukla]

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
If you guys can be anymore specific I'll start checking the seis graphs in the area..

wish i could, maybe skadi's is more accurate.

top topics

join