It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten people dead as mystery virus hits Toronto home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Is this the one that will change the world?

Ten people dead as mystery virus hits Toronto home

I just hope I am never in the area were one of these deadly viruses start killing.

X

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

But McKeown said it is possible they may never be able to identify the virus, which has infected 70 residents at the home as well as 12 employees and two visitors.

I think thats the scary part! To possibly never know what caused this?

I just hope they really have this under control and also DO find out what caused this,

[edit on 4-10-2005 by asala]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
My guess is that it will wind up being another case of 'Legionnaires Disease'.
It happens because the filters in air conditioners aren't kept clean and a virus breeds in the system.
The victims are all in one place, and yet many people go there to visit. That tells me it's because of continued exposure to something and, with the heat of the past summer, I bet the A/C hasn't been off for 4 months.

The temps here today have been a sultry 27-28C. which is kinda warm for October.

link;
www.cdc.gov...

[edit on 4-10-2005 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Is this the one that will change the world?

It's probably another case of the government testing a disease/bio-weapon on a small amount of the population to see what it will do. It has happened many times before!

My guess is that it will wind up being another case of 'Legionnaires Disease'.

Legionaires Disease was also the government testing a bio-weapon/disease on the public!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Dr. David McKeown, Toronto's Medical Health Officer said three of the members of Seven Oaks Home for the Aged tested positive for Legionnaires Disease.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

While 3 testing positive (out of the number fallen ill) is far from the complete picture, I would be willing to bet a days income (I'm retired, btw) that this will be the final word on it.

Whoever was supposed to be keeping the A/C clean in that complex is guilty of criminal negligence, imo.

[edit on 6-10-2005 by masqua]

[edit on 6-10-2005 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Finally, the definitive answer to the death of so many (20) people.

It was the A/C which has been blamed.

Interestingly, people who walked by the building also got sick through the ingestion of droplets falling from the roof of the building where the A/C unit was located.

[edit on 21-10-2005 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the followup, Masqua. The whole thing sounded very much like the first incident when Legionnaire's disease was identified.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Your welcome, Byrd...this story was very important to me.

I took pains to follow this through to the conclusion primarily because of personal family concerns but also because I live close to Walkerton where a different tragedy took place a while back. A large number of people in that village were infected with e coli bacteria through the town water supply (some of whom died, while the survivors have lingering problems).

I suppose you might say I'm sensitive on such developments

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
There also were reports of the same in BC as well. Just thought I would throw that out

Mystery ailment claims fourth victim in B.C.

A mysterious ailment has claimed another victim at a Victoria-area seniors' home, bringing the death toll to four.

Meanwhile, health officials are probing the cause of the outbreak at Luther Court home for the elderly in suburban Saanich, British Columbia.

Three seniors -- two females and one male -- died on Wednesday. They were all in their late 80s or early 90s.

The fourth victim had been taken to hospital early Thursday with similar symptoms as the three other people who died.
www.ctv.ca...

[edit on 10/21/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
That's disheartening to discover, FredT...it seems our love of air conditioned comfort is more costly than just the hydro bill.

There needs to be better regulation of maintenance on these units when you discover two dozen deaths (or more) attributed to their filthy innards.

It's obvious that there is a lax regime in cleaning them at nursing homes. Saving costs, perhaps?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The media went a little too wild on this one. Whenever the elder live together like this and there is a break out of an illness like this, chances are it's Legionnaires...The media looks even more dumb with this one, acting almost immature in getting people upset about such a thing, asking questions like, is this the next SARS? Before ANYTHING, had been done. I never heard one news reporter ask a valid doctors opinion or anything. Pfft. This one was common sense.

*edited, I forgot one word

[edit on 10/24/2005 by coffeewench]

new topics

top topics

join