It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth skills, wilderness survival, survival groups.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hoping I chose the right forum to place this;

I have always been an outdoors person - hiking, camping, ect. The last few years, I have studied and/or practiced outdoors living more extensively, such as foraging, trapping, finding water, you know - the nature survival thing. I think learning earth skills is important as well as taking care of our earth

It comes in handy since I help teach in cub/boy scouting, but I am also learning just in case it's needed in the future. My family and I have eaten many different wild plants, we made dandelion wine, drinking water from anything using the sun, cordage, basket making and other fun things. I know if there were ever a 'Katrina' here, we would not be in any superdome hoping for handout help.

It is easier to survive a situation if you are part of a group, though. This would give everyone a specific task, like shelter building, foraging, hunting, food prep, water, ect. making it easier to live somewhat better than if solo.

My question is this - Are there survival groups across the US that one can join for that 'just in case' event? If so, how do you find them? Where are they? If there was a natural or man-made disaster, I for one will not be in a FEMA camp, I will be fending for myself and my family. It would be easier to join a group. It would also be good if a group got together and practiced these types of things a couple times a year - and not just survival skills, but taking care of earth too.

If there are not any of these types of groups in my area, I was considering starting one myself. IF, big if, something was to happen, I am ready with my kit and field guides packed. I would just like to think that going with a small group would make life easier.

[edit on 4-10-2005 by godservant]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It's a good idea..
Might want to be careful about the group you would join...
there are the "survivalists"..Which I think are a little more militant..
They tend to live in a communal situation all the time..Waitin for the "big one"

I think what you are talking about is a group that could switch from the modern life, to a more primitive life, if needed. is that correct?
Your idea of starting your own group is a good idea...Especially if you could form a group from people that you already know...Less surprises!

no FEMA camp for me either...

I don't know how old you are, but oncce upon a time there was a guy named
Euell Gibbons, an authority on Wild foods..He even did cereal commercials..
I still remember the commercial, it started out with the phrase "Did you ever eat a pine tree?"
I learned a lot about local wild foods in my area, from one of his books..
Here is a little about him, if you aren't familiar.

Euell Gibbons

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There is big difference between wilderness survival and urban survival. Two different skill sets that for the most part are not interchangeable.

As far as wilderness survival skills, try a local college or university. Many of them offer classes, usually through the sports or recreation departments.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I am not talking about learning wilderness survival, I've done it. Camping and hiking all my life (late 30's) and a great friend is former special forces. Between his teachings while camping, books and my own experience/practicing, I know I can do it

My question here is - are there already survival groups around that one can join? If so, how do you find them? If not, why not start one?

A small group is better than a single person if the situation arose.

I think it would be good for 2 reasons. One, you can practice and improve your skills by getting together a few times a year. Two, because it is a lost art - one that benifits earth and people.

We're too dependent on the system.

And yes, I have eaten a pine tree, roasted pine nuts are good. Dads side is all hillbillies - farm land, animals, crops, home remedies, stills. At times had grandma tell me to go this bush or that tree or those patches a get something.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Yes, I believe those groups exist, you just have to know where to ask. Most people do not readily advertise membership with such groups. As someone pointed out, beware those groups that confuse survival with a slanted, militant viewpoint. That said, I'd say the first places to start would be a local gun shop and an Army-Navy store. Either one should have employees who have had some contact with survival enthusiasts and could point you in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thanks Rainmaker, good idea. I looked around on the net and found a few, but nothing in my area. Some seemed too militant. I will try what you recommended.

I am pretty suprised that there isn't a much larger interest in this. It seems spiritualists would be doing this for the benefits of the planet. It also seems that christians and other end times believers would be doing this - I mean, if they believe that you won't be able to buy and sell without a mark one day, what are they doing to prepare?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
godservant I am not sure where you are from, I live in MA, USA, but back before it was "trendy" to be preparedness-oriented (pre-Y2K days), a lot of folks used to meet on Usenet on the misc.survivalism newsgroup. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. I once even made a query for my area and got about a dozen private emails in response, which amazed me. One of them was from a local fire chief who, it turned out, had a very well-organized, professional, but completely (by choice) non-publicized survival group going. I never went to any meetings, but it all gave me hope.

Also try local hiking, canoeing, and outdoor awareness clubs, like here in the northeast USA we have the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club), among others.

Good luck!

top topics

join