It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nipsey Russell Dies from Stomach Cancer at 82

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Wiki on Nipsey

Nipsey Russell (born October 13, 1924 in Atlanta, Georgia, died October 2, 2005 in New York, New York from stomach cancer), was an African American comedian, most known for being a guest panelist on many 1970s game shows, such as Match Game and To Tell the Truth. In addition to his sharp game-playing skills, Russell also delighted audiences with short poems, earning him the nickname "the poet laureate of television."

He got his start in the 1940s as a car hop at the Atlanta drive-in The Varsity, where he would earn his tips by making his customers laugh. He moved his act to nightclubs in the 1950s, when he was discovered and subsequently made many "party albums", which were essentially a compilation of his stand-up routines, not unlike what Redd Foxx was doing at the very same time.

In the late 1950s, he was featured on The Ed Sullivan Show, which led to a small part in the comedy Car 54, Where Are You? in 1960. Scattered appearances on television series followed, as well as performing guest host duties on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

In 1971, he started as a featured panelist on To Tell the Truth, which led to him being hired for Match Game two years later. Today, he is most known for these game show appearances, and has become somewhat of a B-list celebrity icon in that respect.

He was also a trained dancer, and appeared in the 1978 film The Wiz as the Tin Man.

CBS local coverage

02/26/99
"Pro and con are opposites, that fact is clearly seen. If progress means to move forward, then what does congress mean?"
---Nipsey Russel

[edit on 4-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I remember him in The Wiz and not much else.

Whenever I hear the name Nipsey Russell it always reminds me of the In Living Color parody of Arsenio Hall:

"On the show tonight...............................Nnnnnnnipsey Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrussell!"

Peace

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I remember him in The Wiz and not much else.

Before he went "mainstream" as "The Poet Laureate of Comedy" he was a dark cultural contemporary of Redd Foxx and Apollo regular.

I can't even post his old jokes from the 40's here.

Well maybe this one:

Ain't Ghana Eat

An African delegate was driving
Along Highway One, between Baltimore
And Washington, D.C., and stopped at a restaurant to dine.
When he entered, they told him
They didn't serve blacks. The delegate,
Flustered with embarrassment, pulled up
All his dignity and said in a loud voice,
"I'm the African from Ghana."
The waitress looked him straight in the eye and said,
"Well you ain't Ghana eat here!"

But when he sold out for 70's game shows (my favorite) is when he started the impromptu limericks that made him famous.

Like the one I found earlier:

02/26/99
"Pro and con are opposites, that fact is clearly seen. If progress means to move forward, then what does congress mean?"
---Nipsey Russel

Would love to find more.

join