It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Search Ends With 964 Katrina Dead in Louisiana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The official search for bodies in the aftermath of Katrina has ended with the count at 964. The company hired to transport bodies, Kenyon International Emergency Services, has been retained on an as needed basis in the event other bodies are found in the debris or otherwise inaccessible sites. FEMA has withdrawn from the search, having completed 23,000 room-to-room searches.

www.phillyburbs.com
The search for Hurricane Katrina victims has ended in Louisiana with a death toll at 964, but more searches will be conducted if someone reports seeing a body, a state official said Monday.

State and federal agencies have finished their sweeps through the city, but Kenyon International Emergency Services, the private company hired by the state to remove the bodies, is on call if any other body is found, said Bob Johannessen, a spokesman with the state Department of Health and Hospitals.

"There might still be bodies found - for instance, if a house was locked and nobody able to go into it," Johannessen said.

Last week, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it had completed its role in the search because its specialties were no longer needed, including getting to bodies in attics or other hard-to-reach places or in buildings that may be structurally unsound.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Even in contrast to early predictions of more than 10,000 deaths, nearly a thousand is devastating enough. I am not certain that New Orleans will ever rise to the level it once enjoyed, despite the rampant crime and corruption. Businesses are ready to open, but there are precious few to take the jobs available. Many refuse to return to the area or demand exorbitant wages to do so. Katrina and the less deadly, but equally destructive Hurricane Rita, will live in the collective consciousness of Louisiana for many decades to come.

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.boston.com
www.shreveporttimes.com
www.djournal.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
I can't find a death toll, or numbers that are missing?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Grady I thought the official death toll was reported as being over 1000?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well, I think that the entire figure includes those who died in Mississippi and Florida. I can't find any death tolls that are official for Mississippi and Florida, but there were well over 200 in both those states.

Google Search

[edit on 2005/10/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Grady I thought the official death toll was reported as being over 1000?

That's probably the entire U.S. Katrina death toll, while this is only for Louisiana.

This must be by far the most deaths caused by a hurricane in the U.S. since we've had weather satellite forecasting, but still a far cry from Nagin's 10,000 figure.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Nagin is how do I put this.............. Inept. However, given the level of devestation that occured, It would be easy to conclude this early on int he disaster. If you recall the mayor of NY asked for 10,000 body bags the day after 911 even though the final tally was alot lower.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I agree that Nagin is probably wishing he had never decided to seek public office, but his estimate that 10,000 could have died was probably not excessive given how much of the city had water up to the roof tops in so much of the city. I think they will find more, but not a staggering number.

[edit on 2005/10/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The morticians who volunteered like so many other groups including doctors and The Red Cross were not allowed into NOLA.

The Kenyan mortician company has ties with George Bush and was involved in Funeralgate when Junior was Texas Governor. This scandal is reported at HereInReality.com under Bush Family Values.

More recently Kenyan was involved in "disappearing" bodies. Archives of Democratic Underground.com that you can access at the bottom of the page and clicking has links to mainstream media news on these scandals.

25,000 body bags were ordered initially and then 75,000 body bags were ordered.

The Gulf Region still has not received aid from FEMA and the Red Cross was asked to leave DeKalb because they were hampering getting humanitarian aid to people.

Why are Blackwater mercenaries, armed Mexican troops and Israeli mercs illegally in NOLA.

The body count is a joke. I am sickened by the number of people that they murdered by the suspicious levees breaking after the hurricane had passed, the shoot out on the bridge with government officials trying to investigate the suspicious levees breaking and armed mercs and the 82 Airborne in violation of the law Posse Com. preventing any real count of the genocide that took place and that includes trapping people in the city and the dome without water or food and shooting citizens to steal the land of the poor and working class in NOLA.

bush's real estate vultures have already descended and Cheney had the illegal no-bid contract with Halliburton for the clean up and rebuilding before the levees broke. Deny ignorance and check out these sites for the truth.

"Congressman John Conyers, Jr., Ranking Member of the House Judiciary
Committee sent the following letter today to the Congressional Research Service to review the law and legal requests pertaining to Hurricane Katrina, and acquired by RAW STORY.

I write to request that CRS review the applicable law and legal requests pertaining to Hurricane Katrina, and confirm whether or not the necessary steps were taken to give the Federal government in general, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in particular, the legal authority needed to act to save lives and mitigate the damage stemming from Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana."

rawstory.com...

As you can see it was Rep Conyers who requested this report, which he found credible enough to exonerate Governor Blanco of any responsibility regarding the hurricane and her actions. If it is credible in that sense how can the part that
exonerates the President not be? You can't have it both ways. LOL

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I don't think it was wise to call off the search when bodies were still being found as recently as last week.

I think we'll still see reports of more bodies being found in the next few weeks.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
***The presence of PMCs is worrisome. There are unconfirmed reports of mercenaries shooting residents of New Orleans and that mercenaries are involved in burning the bodies of victims in makeshift crematoria set up throughout the city. Three mercenary companies have been reported to be in the Nedw Orleans area: Blackwater USA, Steele Foundation, and Wackenhut. The reported burning of bodies could be an attempt by the White House to suppress the total death count to an "acceptable," "manageable," and "spinnable" level.***
www.propagandamatrix.com...

I believe the above explains the "official" low body count... I suggest reading the rest of the article it is very interesting.
below is from an article written by a survivor of hurricane Andrew & her experience with FEMA & Andrew's "official" body count.
It sounds like this is a common practice & has been for some time. I also highly recommend reading her story.

***Not until I managed to escape the aftermath three-and-a-half weeks later, did I discover the thermo-king sections of these same refrigerator trucks jammed packed with wall-to-wall body bags, subsequently ended up being stored in Card Sound Navy Base, located just above the Florida Keys. The inside temperatures kept cool by portable generators until the bodies were either incinerated or just plain dumped into huge open grave pits.***
www.whereheavensmeet.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
it does seem suspiciously low........ and if FEMA and other federal agencies are the only source for these numbers then of course they are lies.
the federal govt does not have a good track record for telling the truth ....

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have a friend near Houston, TX. According to him, he has been told there are over 20,000 people still missing in NO alone. 2100 of them are children. That doesn't even include the homeless people that no one is looking for.

I had posted before about my friend's mom who survived Katrina. She had come outside after the storm to survey the damage and heard an explosion along with a bunch of her neighbors. Then the flood came. She managed to cut a hole in her roof from the attic and get out. She did not see any of her neighbors in the 4 days she spent up there. I just called him before posting this and she said 12 people are missing from the 4 houses surrounding hers alone that she knows of. She still hasn't heard from a couple other relatives and many close friends in the neighborhood within a mile of her home.

Also, they said they only did 23,000 house to house searches. Many of those homes were locked so they did not enter those.

Before I drown I will definitely make sure I unlock the front door so FEMA can find me.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I commented on this in another topic but republicans don't seem to understand. The people who did the body count are not only KNOWN but were !CAUGHT! burning bodies and not counting them. There could have easily been 10,000 bodies but the company just went "Oops, burnt 9,000 of them." But of course what do you expect, at least the democrats wanted Bill to hang, if not by his neck, for his actions in the White House.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Links to past discussion of republicans using this firm to burn bodies so they don't look so bad.

How to explain this, say this company was used to count the dead after Hiroshima was nuked and came out with a report of only 200 people dead. This is what the company did in the past and appear to be doing now.

[edit on 4-10-2005 by Full Metal]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Not to be a fly in the ointment but when this is all said and done, that won't be for quite a while, I'm wondering how many N.O. residents will be catorgorized as "Missing".

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
May they all rest in peace, each and every one, counted or uncounted.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Same here. 964 appears too low.

Wasn't there a post that mentioned the possibility of many being washed out into the Gulf of Mexico as well?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Full Metal
I commented on this in another topic but republicans don't seem to understand. The people who did the body count are not only KNOWN but were !CAUGHT! burning bodies and not counting them.

This is beyond preposterous. 9,000 buring bodies would create a stench you could smell here in New Mexico. It could not be hidden.

You could at least cite one credible source.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Here's a story that puts the New Orleans death toll at 972. The toll will be fluid for awhile, as the infrastructure is so devastated and it will take time to collate all the data. Bear in mind that as the clean up proceeds it is almost inevitable that more bodies will be found.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Credible? Besides the ones already posted? Sad, just prove my point in another topic that republicans like to shoot themselves in the foot. "Proof?" 70 links later... "They spelled this word wrong so wrong, I don't how his name sounds so he is wrong, this site isn't funded by Fox News so it is wrong, uh, this one, uh, God told me it was wrong. That site doesn't consider Bush to be God so wrong."

www.wafb.com...
www.wtopnews.com...
bellaciao.org...
www.alertnet.org...
watchblog.com...
prorev.com...
www.sanluisobispo.com...
www.newshounds.us...
www.federalnewsradio.com...
www.theleftcoaster.com...
www.citizensforethics.org...
justworldnews.org...
pages.prodigy.net...
pbahq.smartcampaigns.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Must you assume I am a Republican? What credible source can you cite to support that assertion?

Despite any past troubles, the fact that Kenyon is the part of the largest funeral provider in the world might be why they have been contracted to handle the largest natural disaster in a very long time in this country.

www.wafb.com...

Kenyon International recently led similar recovery efforts in Thailand after the tsunami.

www.wtopnews.com...

I'm still looking for a credible primary source of allegations that Kenyon is hiding or burning bodies taken from NO. Of course, legal cremation doesn't count.

[edit on 2005/10/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The death toll is now up to 976.
They gave up on this search too quickly.

KATC

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Louisiana's official death toll from Hurricane Katrina rose Wednesday to 976, up from 972 the day before. Mississippi's toll remained at 221.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join