It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Venezuela Dumps All of it's US Securities

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I think we will find the shift of investments continue to move slowly off-shore. Our fiscal policies under Bush have been unsound. In fact, the vast majority of what Bush has done has been unsound. The latest Supreme Court nominee is a reflection of his cronyism. FEMA director Michael Brown was the previous example. It is unfortunate, but the repurcussions will likely be felt for many years regardless of who is the next president. And the bottom line is that we are the canaries in the coal mine of his failed experiments.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Originally posted by Mayet
No I agree there. The powers that be will not be too happy with the dissident administration....
One to watch developements

I wonder why is it that noone is thinking about the possibility that "the powers that be" are those backing people like Chavez to kick start the real NWO....
I guess most people around here think the NWO can only be done by the US government huh?....

Im wondering the same thing. OUR ADMIN IS the "dissendent" administration. Its pretty obvious that the current neo cons didnt check out who their advisors were (post wwII germans) working for and now they are all under inditement (by the democrats).
www.abovetopsecret.com...
(thank you mataH for bringing up a good point.)

I had always wondered why the democrats used a republican law firm to contest the diebold voting machines. I wonder why they are picking 2005 (verses 2003) to start all the legal troubles. The truth is that the plan all along was to crash America into the ME. (we stir up trouble, world gets to fix it and make a huge shift to the left). Note that the only thing that republicans will get out of this is the supreme court, which will probably just be used to inflame democrats further before the next election. (alternate history. If kerry got elected he would have made concessions to the UN and EU for rebuilding effort , but still supported the war, and the world would still hate us.)

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Do you think Chavez ACTUALLY DID THIS? or did he just threaten to?

Because when the markets opened Monday in HongKong, the Euro - USD exchange rate was 1.2031 to the US dollar. As of this post, it is 1.1954 to the greenback.

Which means, for every 1 million $ that chavez converted to euros, he has now lost $7,650 dollars.

How much did he have invested in the US anyway? 10 billion? So if he gets out of euros now he has only lost a measly $7 and a half million USD!!!

That would hardly hurt Venezeula, let alone the US!

[edit on 5-10-2005 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Saudia arabia owns 7.5 percent of the Us economy which almost reaches the trillion dollar mark. Now europe isn't such an attractive haven to invest money in, but it will do for the while. since 9-11 most of these arab billionaires have been investing their $$ in their own countries. take for example: what they are doing in DUBAI

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Strangecraft, not every European Nation uses the Euro...I am sure you can do better than that to take a cheap shot at Chavez.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Strangecraft, not every European Nation uses the Euro...I am sure you can do better than that to take a cheap shot at Chavez.

I thought the story said he was investing in euro-denominated investments.

Anyway, my point that the dollar has improved since he is supposed to have dumped the entire holdings of his nation over a weekend when international banks are closed.

Many posters were trying to play this as a blow against the Empire.

My point still stands. The dollar has improved since the time when he claimed to have divested.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I do believe the pound was up against the dollar today though?

Last I checked I was also in Europe...and he just said "The reserves we had (invested) in U.S. Treasury bonds, we've sold them and we moved them to Europe and other countries," so the point doesn't really stand.

Oh and also:

SourceThe European currency bought $1.1954 in New York trading late on Wednesday, up from $1.1918 in New York late Tuesday. The British pound climbed to $1.7630 from $1.7587.

Honestly...it doesn't stand.

Edit: Oh and...

Source
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 123.75, or 1.19 percent, to 10,317.36. The decline followed a drop of 94.37, or 0.9 percent, on Tuesday.

[edit on 5/10/2005 by Odium]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Currency traders regard England as not being part of "Europe" since it has a separate currency.

Either way, there hasn't been any major move in the Dollar since he supposedly liquidated vast assets. The amount is piddling on a national scale

Hardly a "blow against the Empire."

Movement on the Dow is irrelevant; it would not be affected by Venezoola's liquidating it's reserves, since they'd by held in US bonds or T-bills, and not in (privately issued) American stocks.

[edit on 5-10-2005 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Point still stands that the dollar is down and thus he hasn't lost any money...which was the charge you wished to put against him. In fact it was the other way.

Also the United Kingdom [England] is still classed as part of Europe, as Switzerland is and so on and so fourth...

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

It was only a short while ago, after the death of King Faud, that Saudi Arabia declared it's intention to withdraw $350Billion USD of it's investments/holdings in the US and re-invest in the European markets instead.

Is this accurate?? I havn't heard this before, was it an actual official statement or what? I know the Saudis have insane amounts of $$ invested in the US economy (too lazy to look up the numbers), largely because it was at one time the most solid currency in which to hold money, but it also gave them huge influence in US politics and foreign policy. Why do you think they're in Bahgdad right now and not Riyad? Anyway if this reinvestment of Saudi holdings goes through the implications are devastating, not only for the US but for everyone and every country that has anything to do with the Dollar. Something to watch.

-raven

<< 1  2   >>

join