It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN: Something has to happen!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by spittincobra
or if I just don't like the story is it not my prerogative to click the No's?

So, if you don't like a story, whether or not it's news, you'll vote against it? Maybe that's our problem here.

That's not what's said here. You said if you didn't like a story blah, blah, blah...... How does that add to the site? I vote up pieces I don't agree with, why? They're news.

Edit: finally got the BB code right.

[edit on 3-10-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

or if I just don't like the story is it not my prerogative to click the No's?

So, if you don't like a story, whether or not it's news, you'll vote against it? Maybe that's our problem here.

That's not what's said here. You said if you didn't like a story blah, blah, blah...... How does that add to the site? I vote up pieces I don't agree with, why? They're news.

[edit on 3-10-2005 by intrepid]

I answered your queston.

And you must have missed where I said, voted no on the Bias source.

link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by Jaryn
...That story is submitted to ATSNN as a simple statement of fact and it will be voted against by hard-core supporters and voted for by the anti-Clinton mob.

....I'm sure that I will be ridiculed again, but who cares...maybe someone will get the point.

Oh I got your point loud and clear, alright. And I must say, apparently I have a little more faith in the ATS membership than you not to do things like that. In fact, that's rather insulting, and I don't appreciate it.

If a story is worthy of being upgraded, IMO it should be done so on the basis of whether or not it:
1) Emulates the ATSNN submitting guidelines
2) Is a story that fits within a context of the available ATSNN catagories
3) Has been written in a manner that is representative of the high quality of this great site
4) Has at least somewhat credible sources
5) Denies Bias

and a few other things I could think of.

That you would come on here and suggest that I would vote a story up or down based on partisan agenda is ludicrous and insults what little intelligence I have.

I agree with you 1000%, so obviously I was not insulting you or suggesting that you would vote based on an agenda...why did you think I meant you?

link   

You just didn't know I was one.

Well I know now and I don't think you're a jerk.
All happy?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Look for my comments on this in tonight's Skeptic Overview podcast.

link   

Originally posted by Jakko

All happy?

Was never upset.

link   
Fixed the code SC. And NO you didn't answer it imo. You stated if you "Didn't like a story" you could vote "no". What's wrong with that?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I vote up pieces I don't agree with, why? They're news.

A very short and succint description of what I believe we must all do.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
People forget or don't bother to vote, so here's an idea to skew the curve a little.

If you reply to a news story it counts as 1 or 2 votes. That will end the stories that get several replies and don't get voted up.

To increase voting participation, give away some points per vote.

[edit on 3-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I've made ATSNN submissions in the past year. One was voted down, one was approved. Later, in hindsight, when I reviewed the submission that was denied, I could see that it could have been better. It wasn't even that newsworthy, at least not for the criteria of ATSNN. I like the system the way it is.

On ATS or BTS, I have seen good post receive no attention at all and really rather inane posts receive a lot of posts. In those cases people vote with their attention and response. That is really the only criteria. People often don't "spell check" their ATS/BTS submissions and, frankly, they don't take them all that seriously at times. But, hey, that's all right, though it would be nice if people did pay more attention to detail. In ATSNN, you have to put it in that extra effort and that IS what makes ATSNN different and special. You earn your submission. If you can get it by those "ten jerks" as you so impolitely labeled your fellow members, then you truly merited acceptance.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

What's wrong with that?

My mistake, I must have misinterpeted, what NOSTORY was for.

[edit on 3-10-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaryn
I agree with you 1000%, so obviously I was not insulting you or suggesting that you would vote based on an agenda...why did you think I meant you?

I didn't think you meant me specifically, or else you'd have probably gotten a pretty upset u2u from me. But my problem came when you stated as a fact that the story WILL get voted up based on partisan agenda. And I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that, on the overall.

Yeah sure, it may happen occasionally, but those people who do that generally end up shooting themselves in the foot anyway. I believe for the most part that stories that deserve to be up there get voted up there based on merit, not on agendas. To state otherwise contradicts my actual experience here as both a member and former ATSNN staff reporter.

In any case, I'm glad I can count on you to not do such things.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

What's wrong with that?

I am not wrong, float your curser over NOSTORY. "vote no if simply do not like the story or you think it isnt right for ATS.

try this one www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

What's wrong with that?

I am not wrong, float your curser over NOSTORY. "vote no if simply do not like the story or you think it isnt right for ATS.

try this one www.abovetopsecret.com...

Your point?

You may be proving mine.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Your point?

You may be proving mine.

I would have been following the guidelines if I would have voted this story down if I had not liked it.

xu

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
this sounds like isolated communications. ok I will give it a shot:

imagine that 10 random people from around the web, who are NOT members of ATS and could gang up and register at ATS and COULD block every other news article from making it to the ATSNN.

since they are not members or anything yet, I dont thinkanyone will have any problems with name-calling for unexisting members.

edit:regarding first page

[edit on 3-10-2005 by xu]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Your point?

You may be proving mine.

I would have been following the guidelines if I would have voted this story down if I had not liked it.

I bolded.

I must be missing something. What does LIKE have to do with anything? That's the problem here, decisions made on personal choice. Individual first, site second. :shk: Personally I don't like this thread but you don't see me closing it.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Your point?

You may be proving mine.

I bolded.

I must be missing something. What does LIKE have to do with anything? That's the problem here, decisions made on personal choice. Individual first, site second. :shk: Personally I don't like this thread but you don't see me closing it.

"vote no if simply do not like the story or you think it isnt right for ATS.

This from the NOSTORY link.

Do you understand that? Then we will move on.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I propose no changes be made. I've been dealing with this issue most of the day asking if I expect too much. Yet in reality I know I don't.

Voting NO for any reason should cause a critical analysis, not of the facts, but often how they are presented. I read, skim, or view every submission and Op/Ed I come across. Some I back out of before getting to the link. Often I skip the link to see what conclusions are drawn before proceeding.

If you get my attention with the first paragraph without offending my intelligence or telling me where I stand, and you draw a reasonable conclusion, I'll check the link.

News is basically the relay of information is: Putting forth facts that let the reader make an informed decision or formulate an opinion. News comes in the form of relevance nationally, regionally, in-state, and locally. Likewise there is news of the niche genre.

If you are only posting articles to get to that expert level, it shows. The article sounds like:

"Professor Grimace of XYZ University in Anywhere, World announced today the discovery of the second meta-tarsal of the incomplete skeleton his team unearthed 7 years ago. This dig has now produced a 90,000 year old complete right foot!"

Unless it is Bigfoot's second toe, or the team used a triaxial-trend bending deflection modulation system, I am out of there.

Sad as it sounds some things are just not news. :shk:

[edit on 3-10-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
There are issues with the voting system but as Springer said, management is working on the solutions. I have a wait see attitude here. I have put forward some of my own suggestions to Nerdling and heard many other suggestions some good and some bad. It has been acknowledged that the issue is on the discussion table which is what is needed.

Gary - What may not be news to you is often news to others. ATSNN is not just for war on terror and is not just on conspiracies. It covers all areas. I personally love the sci/tech related articles uncovering various discoveries.

Thats what makes ATSNN, there is something for everyone there. There are not many instances of people posting irrevelant articles like Mrs jones won lotto because her cat drew the numbers and even an article like that may have appeal in some quarters.

If one takes a look at the ATSNN main page one will see a wonderful break down of stories from all avenuse of life. Its a news feed of latest and greatest news from worthy sources.

[edit on 3-10-2005 by Mayet]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join