It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men, Women, and Hypocrisy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Here's a rundown of the double standards I've seen/heard of over the years:

If a man leaves his wife, he's a complete jerk. If a woman leaves her husband, she's independent.

If a man has a picture of his family on his desk, people think well of him because he's a family man. If a woman has that same picture, people think she's too wrapped up in her family and may put them before her career.

If a man plays the field, he's a stud. If a girl does it she's a ho (though I think that's been changing--it was like that when I was in school).

A girl can dress like a boy and everyone's okay with it. But if a boy dresses like a girl, woe unto him. (Note--I do not advocate cross-dressing.)

And here's the kicker: Husband beats his wife, he goes to jail. But a woman can get away with beating her husband!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
You make some good points Amethyst, I've noticed a few things myself.

The thing I don't like, is how most women stereotype men as all the same, but only when there with there friends.

But something men do and I think I've been guilty of it myself as a kid, is when a guy is with all male friends and 1 female friend, all the guys will flirt and make crude jokes thinking its working. Some women like the attention, others don't. Then when he's on his own. Hes the perfect gentleman

The complexities of the human social interaction.

Vorta

[edit on 6-10-2005 by Vorta]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Double standards. They happen, they exist. Be aware of them and combat them, that's all you can do.

Just remember nothing is ever one-sided.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Mothers are always the best parent for a child...

I hate that attitude, I know alot of families that would be much happier without the mother!

I also dont like womens assumptions that men are 'only after one thing'

Or the fact that if a guy has friends who are girls he is automatically gay for not wanting to sleep with them.

Grr!

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Mothers are always the best parent for a child...

I hate that attitude, I know alot of families that would be much happier without the mother!

I know that for a fact. Take my husband's brother. When his wife left him, she was abandoning their daughters too...she only wanted primary custody because he filed for it. Fortunately the judge had some sense and my brother-in-law has primary custody. His two daughters are 8 and 13 and he and their stepmother have to do damage control because their mother is a BAD influence--she encourages the older one to dress really slutty. I bet within a few years my BIL will be a grandfather. :shk:

I also dont like womens assumptions that men are 'only after one thing'

From a woman's perspective it *seems* like it. But I know not all men are like that. There are some, though. Men are more ready to hit the hay; women like more social interaction. That's a difference between men and women. The key is to seek balance.

Or the fact that if a guy has friends who are girls he is automatically gay for not wanting to sleep with them.

Grr!

Now that's pretty stupid! Yet it's okay for girls to have guy friends and they're not called lesbians. I have friends who are male but I don't want to sleep with them (besides my husband wouldn't be very happy with that!). I believe it's possible to be friends with the opposite sex, both parties totally straight, and not sleep with each other.

My husband was a virgin (and so was I) when we got married. He was 26--nearly 27--and I was 20. He got called gay because he didn't sleep around. And I know for a fact that he's not. Some people act like there's something wrong with a guy who's a virgin. Then those same people say a guy's a pig when he scores big time. What the hey?

top topics

join