It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eurofighter Radars Didn't Spot F/A-22s

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Contrary to rumors floating around on the net, Eurofighters stationed at Nellis AFB were NOT able to spot the F/A-22 Raptor on their radars. Sources have confirmed that neither plane was in the air at the same time, and that when flying on the range, the Raptor, sports an "enhanced signature" for visabilty and safety issues.

Unconfirmed reports--that is, rumors-- making the rounds in European aerospace industry circles contend that Royal Air Force Eurofighter Typhoons, temporarily operating from Nellis AFB, Nev., were able to pick up U.S. Air Force F/A-22s on their radars, stealth notwithstanding. Similar reports appeared during the 1991 Iraq war concerning the ability of British ships, using large radar arrays, to detect the F-117 and, in later conflicts, the B-2. U.S. officials confirm that the Typhoons were at Nellis to fly with the 422nd Test & Evaluation Sqdn. However, they discount that the Typhoons had seen an F/A-22 in full-configuration stealth. First, they say, the Typhoons and F/A-22s were never in the air at the same time. Second, the F/A-22s always have an enhanced signature for positive air control, except when they go to war or when the range has been cleared for F/A-22-only operations.
Cant see me

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Oh, couldn't see that one coming...
NoO actually, I'd be surprised if it would have been on that radar... It should be the best fighter of our generation right... Well, at least te most exspensive one...
Nice post, BTW, it's always good to know about these things...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Was that with the enhanced signature on?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Most of the stealth planes have retractable antennas and lights mounted on them. When they go to war, they retract them into the airframe, when they're just flying around they have them sticking out. Those will serve to cause the RCS to bloom when seen on radar. I'm not sure how much it affects it though and I'm sure the figures are classified about it.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
To be fair, that doesn't say that the Typhoon cannot detect the Raptor, only that they didn't try. Thats not quite the same thing, is it.

I would be surprised if the Typhoon could detect the Raptor on its radar, after all, that is what PIRATE is for, so I would be more interested in a report of how that worked, if they tried it of course.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
To be fair, that doesn't say that the Typhoon cannot detect the Raptor, only that they didn't try. Thats not quite the same thing, is it.

That is true, I had seen it floated around ina few places though that it had picket it up in ACM testing. Man would that have killed the program

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
can you please edit the thread title as its very misleading.

The article you link to doesn`t mention that the cannot detect the aircraft only that they didn`t attempt to as neither aircraft was in teh air at the same time.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

Hmm its taken word for word from the AWST report I quoted. if its good enuf for AWST its good enough for me.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I can't wait for war games, when 1 Raptor takes out 8 Eurofighters.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Harlequin

Hmm its taken word for word from the AWST report I quoted. if its good enuf for AWST its good enough for me.

well , in that case the AWST headline is wrong:

i quote:

First, they say, the Typhoons and F/A-22s were never in the air at the same time. Second, the F/A-22s always have an enhanced signature for positive air control, except when they go to war or when the range has been cleared for F/A-22-only operations.

So , if neither aircraft was in the air at the same time , how can they claim (or is this just a fox headline) that eurofighter didn`t spot raptor?

oh wait , i know why

its because eurofighter was sitting empty and switched off - thats why

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
That'll be in your PS2 if anywhere..

1 to 8??!!
preposterous..

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If i was the RAF i would not be ashamed by this if it is true!

The Raptor is the most (publicly known) advanced aircraft EVER...

There should be no shame if the Eurofighter could not spot it!

The real danger begins when Russia, China etc...develop an aircraft that the F-22 cant see!!!

Mic

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

The Raptor is the most (publicly known) advanced aircraft EVER...

There should be no shame if the Eurofighter could not spot it!

The real danger begins when Russia, China etc...develop an aircraft that the F-22 cant see!!!

wounldnt worry to much since russia and china dont know the f-22s radar capabilities. they may be wasting time developing an aircraft the u.s. airfoce has something already to counter it long time ago.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hmm,

I have to say that since these rumours have been bouncing around, there has been alot of downplaying by the Americans on the forums that I partake of, its really quite interesting how quickly comments like "Its high profile for ATC", "It wasn't it War mode" etc

I happen to believe that the Eurofighter and F-22 never met in the air, is simply down to one point, for the fear that either aircraft is shown up when in ACM, and if that was to get out to either Governments it could leave alot of embrassed people.

I just want to point out the fact that this article doesn't say the Eurofighter CAN'T pick up the F/A-22, I just want to make that care to all the americans that feel the need to start waving flags and bashing the Eurofighter.

- Phil

[edit on 3-10-2005 by gooseuk]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This raises a very good question(in my eyes). If the Raptor can't be seen by modern RADAR, nor can it be seen by other aircraft, 1)How does Ground control and the control tower keep track of the aircraft? 2)How does each Raptor keep track of each other? 3)How do friendly aircraft keep track of the Raptor?

So if the US developed the Raptor, it's obvious that the US has a way to watch the Raptor itself, there must be some sort of super advanced RADAR that can track the Raptor, afterall, the USAF does need to watch it's own aircraft.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
This raises a very good question(in my eyes). If the Raptor can't be seen by modern RADAR, nor can it be seen by other aircraft, 1)How does Ground control and the control tower keep track of the aircraft? 2)How does each Raptor keep track of each other? 3)How do friendly aircraft keep track of the Raptor?

So if the US developed the Raptor, it's obvious that the US has a way to watch the Raptor itself, there must be some sort of super advanced RADAR that can track the Raptor, afterall, the USAF does need to watch it's own aircraft.

Shattered OUT...

Very good point!

They must have a way of seeing their own aircraft...and if they have, how long will it be before an 'unfriendly' nation develops the ability to do the same?

Mic

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Probably datalink is telling the AWACs and thus the other aircraft where it is

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Probably datalink is telling the AWACs and thus the other aircraft where it is

Can't that kind of information be intercepted by enemy RADAR and then tracked to its source location?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Can't that kind of information be intercepted by enemy RADAR and then tracked to its source location?

Shattered OUT...

Its EM, of course it can. However I think they use directivity methods to limit the propagation of the emissions.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In the article it states that the eurofighter did see the raptor on radar but it was said it wasnt fully in stealth mode.

Is it me or is no one reading this...??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join