It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 21 Die As Tour Boat Capsizes on N.Y. Lake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
What started out as a peaceful scenic cruise for 49 senior citizens, ended in terror on saturday. The Ethen Allen capsized killing 21 and sending several more the the hospital.

AP

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. (AP) -- A glass-enclosed boat carrying tourists on a senior citizens' cruise overturned Sunday on a calm lake in upstate New York, killing at least 21 people and sending more than two dozen cold and wet passengers to a hospital.

Twenty-seven people were taken to a hospital in nearby Glens Falls. Some suffered broken ribs and some complaining of shortness of breath. Five people were to be admitted, hospital spokesman Jason White said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder why the people did not have life jackets on from the start of the boat tour rather then having them nearby? I would bet that if they had the life jackets on the death toll would not be as high.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Whompa1]

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yeah your probably right. If they all did have life jackets on the death toll would probably been much lower. However, would you ever get into a boat if you were told you HAD to were a life jacket. I wouldn't.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Reports suggested they were not wearing life jackets. The majority of the passengers were Canadians.

BBC: Tourists die in US boat disaster

Police divers and rescue teams took two hours to recover the bodies

"We believe and we have not confirmed that they hit the wake of one of the larger cruise boats and it overturned and upset the boat and threw the passengers into the water,"

The majority of the 49 passengers on board the Ethan Allen were reported to be Canadians.

Reports suggested the passengers were not wearing life jackets at the time of the accident.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Its reported that they were all elderly. Now you would think if thats the case, it would be mandatory to wear a life jacket. I wonder if the operator of this company could face gross negligence charges?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The accident happened so quickly there was no time to put on lifejackets. Also, it is now being reported that the boat was filled to one shy of capacity and that the boat required two crew members but only had one. All of this company's boats are currently off the water.

start.earthlink.net.../4341fe40_3426_1335020051004-1679496743

[edit on 10/4/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
And for the latest development:

At the time it flipped over, the 38-foot Ethan Allen was just under its capacity of 48 passengers - a figure that was arrived at by using a New York standard that assumes a 150-pound average for each man, woman and child, authorities said. The U.S. Coast Guard standard assumes a 140-pound average for each person.

Investigators looking into the accident have said that too much weight may have been a factor and suggested those standards may have to be revised because Americans are getting heavier - something the Coast Guard recognized well before the tragedy.

start.earthlink.net.../4341fe40_3ca6_15526200510041777629620

I guess it makes sense to be taking the "growth of American" into consideration here, but in all honesty, my jaw is hanging open reading this article.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
has anyone been to lake george???

i have...

infact, i go there every summer...

it is very niiice there (both during the summer and the winter)...

so, i guess, this story is a little personal to me...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
i just wish to add:

i have been on several of these "tour boats" (maybe i should call them "sight-seing boats"?) anyway, the whole life jacket thing is simple: they are optional...

also, one feels "safe" on a boat that big (the ones i went on were big) and they feel like nothing bad can happin...

top topics

join