It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very cool show on History channel! Ancient machines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I just had to stay up till 4 in the morning to catch this. It was called "Ancient Discoveries." It was about this guy, last name Heron who made some quite amazing machines about 2000 years ago.

Some of his creations were:

- coin operated water dispenser
- mechanical bird that sung
- automatic doors
- machine gun type weapon, looked like it shot arrows
- wind powered organ
- rotating steam ball
- automated devices
- more

I found a link that will give you some more information.

www.mlahanas.de...

Troy

[edit on 2-10-2005 by cybertroy]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Yeah. Heron of Alexanderia was quite the man.

You also might enjoy googling "the Antikythera mechanism." Literally a 'computer' for calculating a ship's latitude at sea. And the mechanism wasn't unique. Several ancient authorities mention that they were produced on Rhodes and sold to mariners. The mechanism found in the shipwreck at Antikythera even seems to be set for the date when the vessel sank!

Have fun.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The name confused me until I reconnected it with Hero of Alexandria -- the name he was known under while I was going to school. Fascinating man!

www.tmth.edu.gr...

www.nndb.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It would be great to just step back in time and actually see what was going on in that time period.

Troy

[edit on 7-10-2005 by cybertroy]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
First off I want to say..."I love the History channel!!!"I think it's 10x better than HBO/Cinemax/Star...except the Spice channel of course.

Can you imagine what how different things would of been if Heron somehow combined the invention of the steam ball and boats together!!!!!!!!? Steam powered boats!!!! They may have discovered the new world thousands of years earlier. The invention may have lead to other inventions like hot air ballons...and advanced weaponry. With this... Rome would of easily picked off their enemies an possibly reach as far as China..thus introducing them to gunpowder. Hot damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put Heron up there with Einstein......easily.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It's almost like someone(s) went through a lot of trouble to make sure mankind didn't advance any further in that time period. Or something happened that halted civilization. It's kind of odd to progress from an advancing civiliation for over a thousand years and then end up at a "horse and buggy" stage. The "horse and buggy" stage wasn't that long ago, but Heron was making automatic doors 2000 years ago.

Troy

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
many things are there in plain sight but it usually takes a genius to connect the dots. as for what halted civilization - well human nature of clinging on to power at all cost leading to the downfall of the roman empire and of course christianity (just like any other religion) and its clinging to power at all costs including the cost of inventing the inquisition and killing anyone who would have an above average mind - all in the name of god and salvation. hm sounds familiar if you're listening to some AM radio shows today...

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I watched that same episode not to long ago. It's amazing all the discoveries he made! I typically watch the History channel anyway, so I love when those shows come on.

Cybertroy, yes it is odd how civilization went from having automatic doors and coin water dispensers to not having them. You would think that once that knowledge was gained it wouldn't have been lost.

edit to add missing word.

[edit on 8-11-2008 by Jenna]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Upon reading some history in these matters it seems that every couple of thousand years we peak in technology then revert to stone tools then back.

Some say davinci had access to some really ancient works depicting very high technolgy from a lost age and tried to reproduce is using crude era material and engineering.

I remember reading some hopi lore that described the 3rd world (est. 30-000b.c -10,500b.c) as having city of lights and the people flew on fying shields. Very cool stuff... btw , the 3rd world was destroyed by water.

[edit on 8-11-2008 by IvanZana]

[edit on 8-11-2008 by IvanZana]

top topics

join