It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Eclipse Set To Wow The Globe On Monday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
On Monday (October 3, 2005) a total sun eclipse can be seen in a narrow corridor across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. To the north and south of the corridor a partial eclipse can be seen. Total sun eclipses occure about once every 18 months but rarely over populated area. The eclipse starts in the North Atlantic at 08:41 (GMT). The best view will be in Madrid, Spain at 08:56 (GMT). The next total eclipse will be on March 29, 2006.

IOL: Rare eclipse set to wow the globe

September 30 2005

Skywatchers are in for a rare treat on Monday when an annular eclipse will darken the Sun in a swathe across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

The corridor in which this dramatic event can be seen is a narrow one, snaking from the North Atlantic, where it starts at 10.41am (841GMT), across the Iberian peninsula and then to northern and eastern Africa before petering out in the Indian Ocean at 1222GMT. Countries that lie on this path comprise Spain, notably in Madrid (best viewing is at 856GMT), as well as Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, northern Chad, central Sudan, south-western Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia. The maximum duration of "annularity" will be four minutes, 31 seconds, when the Sun is high overhead in central Sudan, according to the US publication Sky & Telescope.

Cities that lie north and south of the corridor will get a partial eclipse, in which the errant Moon will appear to take a bite out of the Sun.They include Berlin, London, Moscow, Reyjkavik, Rome, Jerusalem, Tehran and Istanbul, says Nasa expert Fred Espenak. Even locations as distant as Johannesburg and New Delhi will, weather permitting, get a tiny partial eclipse.

It is the fourth annular eclipse of the 21st century. Total eclipses happen about once every 18 months, although these usually fall over the sea or uninhabited areas. The next total eclipse, on March 29, 2006, will traverse equatorial West Africa, the Sahara, western Mediterranean, Turkey and Russia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Don´t miss this event if you live in "the zone". I will get a partial eclipse where I live

Related Links:
Space.com: Solar Eclipse Oct. 3 for Europe, Asia, Africa

[edit on 2005/10/1 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Don´t forget today... or actually... very soon...

BBC: Moon moves to make dazzling ring

Once again, though, astronomers are urging those without the proper viewing equipment not to look directly at the Sun with the naked eye; blindness could result.

A good option will be to watch the event on one of several websites geared up to stream it.

Those lucky enough to be in the path of annularity and with clear skies should look for the "beads" or "gems" that skirt the fiery ring. These are caused by sunlight streaming through valleys and past mountains on the Moon's surface.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Links:
NASA Eclipse Home Page

[edit on 2005/10/2 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Interesting eclipse site with lots of info and animations:

Click to view a full-sized animated map

Here's what the solar eclipse can look like for all those not in the right geographic location:
antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Coming up: October 17, 2005 - Partial Eclipse of the Moon
The eastern states will get to see this one.
sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Happy viewing, got welding goggles?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
did anyone see it then?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
How about some electronic images instead?

Parisians use special glasses to watch an annular solar eclipse near the Eiffel tower in Paris October 3, 2005. An annular eclipse differs from a total eclipse in that the moon appears too small to completely cover the sun. As a result, the moon is surrounded by an intensely brilliant ring or annulus formed by the outer perimeter of the sun's disk.

A father and his daughter watch the annular eclipse of the sun at the planetarium in Madrid. Thousands of people pressed into the streets of Madrid, gazing eastwards for a glimpse of an annular eclipse visible from the north Atlantic to northern and eastern Africa.

Not in the zone either, so I had to settle for these.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
No fair, I live in crappy America...Anyone know when the next one will be visible in Florida?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'd just like to take note here of the fact that people often point to the moon as being 'perfectly designed' to blot out the sun perfectly, and that thats evidence of an Intelligent Designer. This, obviously, contradicts that, because of the annular eclipse, and also because its only visble depending on your placement on the earth in the first place.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I'd just like to take note here of the fact that people often point to the moon as being 'perfectly designed' to blot out the sun perfectly, and that thats evidence of an Intelligent Designer. This, obviously, contradicts that, because of the annular eclipse, and also because its only visble depending on your placement on the earth in the first place.

heh heh. Just getting that out their in case?

Well, if there is a god, he hates me, I never get to see these things!

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
well if its not too late, my dad may have been able to see a partial eclipse. He's in Nigeria.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenOne
Anyone know when the next one will be visible in Florida?

Not off hand. Eclipses are VERY rare. They only happen in any given spot on Earth once every 360 years. You could try hunting around on the NASA Eclipse Home Page though.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

heh heh. Just getting that out their in case?

Ha, well, its one of those things that comes up and sounds convincing and I was reminded of it upon reading this. I got my bases covered, "ALL YOUR BASES"!

top topics

join