It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW moon discovered orbiting 10th planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Astonomers who earlier discovered a possible 10th planet now believe they have discovered a moon trailing the newly discovered planet.

www.usatoday.com
While observing the new, so-called planet from Hawaii last month, a team of astronomers led by Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology spotted a faint object trailing next to it. Because it was moving, astronomers ruled it was a moon and not a background star, which is stationary.

The moon discovery is important because it can help scientists determine the new planet's mass. In July, Brown announced the discovery of an icy, rocky object larger than Pluto in the Kuiper Belt, a disc of icy bodies beyond Neptune. Brown labeled the object a planet and nicknamed it Xena after the lead character in the former TV series Xena: Warrior Princess. The moon was nicknamed Gabrielle, after Xena's faithful traveling sidekick.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
They named the Moon and the Planet after fictional Lesbian Barbarians? Jesus.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
They named the Moon and the Planet after fictional Lesbian Barbarians? Jesus.

That's pretty cool I gotta say. Its good to see that the universe is bigger than we thought. Yet another "big thing" for the Keck Observatory.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Teacher: What is the red planet named?

Student: Mars.

Teacher: Very good, and what is Mars named after?

Student: The Roman god of war.

Teacher: Correct. Who can tell me what the last planet in our solar system is?

Student: Xena.

Teacher: Very good and what is Xena named after?

Student: ... The goddess of wisdom?

Teacher: No, Xena is named after the greatest show EVER! EIEIEIEIEIEIEEEAHHH (throws chalk at students head).

Naming the 10th planet Xena and it's moon Gabriel is ridiculous. It may as well be Kirk and Spock or Batman and Robin!

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Its amazing this has not received more replies.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Teacher: Very good, and what is Mars named after?Student: The Roman god of war.

So a God of War has more cred than a fictional Lesbian? I am sure the Lesbian's of the world are collecting for their anti-discrimination action as as we speak.....

At the end of the day who cares what they call the new planet and moon. The most important aspect is finding them.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake

Teacher: Very good, and what is Mars named after?Student: The Roman god of war.

So a God of War has more cred than a fictional Lesbian? I am sure the Lesbian's of the world are collecting for their anti-discrimination action as as we speak.....

At the end of the day who cares what they call the new planet and moon. The most important aspect is finding them.

I agree with you about its finding them thats important. However the name's they give them and there meaning also means a lot.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake

Firstly Xena and Gabriel are about as gay as Ernie and Bert. The Lesbian Subtext in the show is irrelevant to me disliking the name Xena for the 10th planet.

Second, All the planets except for Earth are named after Roman gods. To name the new planet after a tv show is just plain silly.

Lets ponder this thought. Imagine if instead of America the new world was named 'Robin Hood'.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Lets ponder this thought. Imagine if instead of America the new world was named 'Robin Hood'.

If you knew no better would you care? That is, if the US was called Robin Hood (great stories with some basis of truth by the way) and that was all you ever knew her as you would be none the wiser. Honestly, just because we have always named things after something are we required to continue down that path?

If I was honest Xena does nothing for me but it is just a name - nothing more than that. Although I can see your point. Gabrielle of course is an Archangel so I suppose the name of the new moon is OK.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
It's only a nickname according to the article anyway. I don't know if they even have official names yet. If a scientist wants to call it that as a nickname, so what, it's what they officially call it that will matter and will be taught in schools.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
At least they did'nt call them Nike and Pepsi,
what would be a good choice of name?
can anyone give any suggestions, what they should be called?

I'd call the 10th planet : NOAH (he was the tenth generation from ADAM)

and the moon : Naamah (Noah's wife)

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Oh, I don't know. Rather than a television show, how about a comedy from the White House? Say.....

Planet Bush?
Followed by Dick?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I agree that the names are profoundly idiotic, they, fortunately, are only nicknames and aren't the actual names. Doing this would, btw, set the stage for corporate sponsorhip of planets. Imagine a planet on another solar system detected by powerful astro-telescopes being named 'Coke, with a smaller orbiting moon called 'pepsi', or even pointing to a star chart and taking note of the planet Dubya.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Love it!

However, folks, Xena isn't the 10th planet. Quaoar is the 10th, Sedna the 11th. Xena is the 12th:
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
on this subject of naming the moon and the planet, got me thinking,
Why have'nt we got a name for our moon?
why do we simply call it The Moon?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
That also got me thinking about why we call our star "The Sun". It should be used in sentences as "Sun." Like, I saw Sun outside. Just like how I would say, "I saw Mars outside last night." I wouldn't say, "I saw the Mars outside." I think this is the same illiterate problem our Moon faces without a name. It's bigger than Pluto for god's sake and it doesn't have a name.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamian

Its Luna. The star at the center of our system is Sol. The rock that most of our members post from is sometimes called "Tellus".

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Its Luna. The star at the center of our system is Sol. The rock that most of our members post from is sometimes called "Tellus".

I have seen Gaea(or Gaia) and Terra Mater being used but "Tellus" is new to me. Have any information on that?

[edit on 033131p://4u04 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Gaia is what the greeks called 'earth', its the goddess that represents earth, terra matter is probably a latinish term. I don't know where Tellus comes from tho, but it is one of the names. Seems to have fallen out of use recently. There is still, for example, an earth sciences journal (a series of journals actualy) that is called Tellus still tho.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The name Xena is what pretty much every news source out there is calling it, so that may as well be official, aside from 2003 UB313.

One thing, it may not be called simply a planet any more, rather a planetary object, or a trans-neptunian object.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join