It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just how old is the us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Breaking News
Bush sends Rosh Hashanah greetings
President Bush called for reflection “on the history of the Jewish people” in his annual Rosh Hashanah message.

“This year, we mark the completion of an especially joyous occasion, the 350th year of Jewish life in America,” Bush said in a statement Friday. “Throughout America’s history, Jewish Americans have strengthened and enriched the character of our nation.”

www.jta.org...
Hey mods, if this doesn't belong here, please move it as appropriate...thanx

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well considering that the county I live in is about 350 years old, its possible.

Remember there have been settlements for well over 400 years, and as best I can recall its pretty much always been considered America.

"The first Jewish immigrants to the United States were Sephardic Jews that were fleeing persecution by Portuguese rulers in Brazil, around 1654."

library.thinkquest.org...

[edit on 1/10/05 by Skibum]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanx for the link! Always interesting to follow history. I was not aware of this,
guess it was left(?) out of my schooling!

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
On a slightly different note, why don't we get off for Indian holidays, African holidays, Chinese holidays and so on, what's up with only Jewish and Christian holidays only?
Or am I missing something?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Hey wp, agree, why not just celebrate today?!? Life is really quite a blessing.
You know though, it is interesting to find out history, lines of development,
times on earth, how we came to be what we are, what we are, what we can be,
what's wrong. Seems to me that most folks just want to BE, exist without external bs telling us WHAT to do and WHY. Heh...sorry for the rant(?) (pathetic as it may be)

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

On a slightly different note, why don't we get off for Indian holidays, African holidays, Chinese holidays and so on, what's up with only Jewish and Christian holidays only?

Why? because that would not make sense....we can't have too many holidays that require a "day off". Seriously, it can't be either all or none...that's insane. So it's best they just pick a few and call it a day...I really don't care which ones they pick...as long as I get my few days off (which never happens).

sporty

[edit on 1/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Or am I missing something?

Holidays for a defeated people, not here not now. The American Indian was crushed by the USA, there land, there people, there culture. The Federal Gevernment fears these people, any headway they make in feeling better about themselves as a people is quickly crushed by our Government, the Red Man is not represented in the UN because our USA doesn't want them to get the idea of a Sovriegn Indian Nation in there head. Wouldn't it be something if A Great Indian Leader rose among the remaining tribes and reservations, here in the USA, and created a spark among there people to be Independent from the USA, or to take there land back.

The blacks have Martian Luther King Day....but look at how much blood had to be spilled and how much time had to pass for them to get it.....

For some reason American Christain religions have Allways Embraced the Jewish people, guess its the whole, they are Gods people thing...this is a paradox...the Christain and Jewish hand in hand relationship is tight..don't know why but it is.

the United States of America is 230 years old, the Americans first started bein settled in the 1600's...the rest they say is History.

peace

cjf

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I married into an ‘American Indian’ family which are all citizens of their own nation. I will tell you nothing of what is being implied by some of the afore mentioned statements is “known by them” to be true. But as I can not speak for them, I will convey a bit on the current discussion.

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Holidays for a defeated people, not here not now. The American Indian was crushed by the USA, there land, there people, there culture.

Not really, and not as absolutely as stated.

The French, Spanish, Mexicans, British, Portuguese, disease and other warring tribes crushed the indigenous peoples of North America. By the time the United States was formed/founded, the ‘American Indian’ was nearly completely wiped out with the exception of some pocketed larger Midwestern, Western and Southeastern nations. However the United States finished the job started by other nations. None-the-less it was an ‘inherited event’ which was still part of the European tradition when the United States was finally established.

European influences, culture, prevailing beliefs and ideals were extremely strong up to the mid 1800’s in the United States. Don’t forget “American’s” came into existence because they were British subjects desiring their sovereign ‘rights’ which were denied by the Crown, hence rebellion.

….the Red Man is not represented in the UN because our USA doesn't want them to get the idea of a Sovriegn Indian Nation in there head.

Hold on…????. The NCAI is recognized by the United Nations and protected by the “Indigenous Populations of the Commission on Human Rights Sub-commission on prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities”. National Congress of American Indians

Even just recently the Shoshone’s have requested the UN the step in on a land dispute with the US government.

Wouldn't it be something if A Great Indian Leader rose among the remaining tribes and reservations, here in the USA, and created a spark among there people to be Independent from the USA, or to take there land back.

The Indian Nations are separate, independent, self governed and are given a ‘government to government’ standing with the US government.
(example, the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma)

And on the topic, they do have thier own holidays.

new topics

top topics

join