It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulse Detonation Engines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It is interesting that this engine, which conspiracy sites such as this one have postulated to already exist, is now being brought out of the black world. With the recent admissions by Boening about anti - gravity research, my gut is telling me that there is going to soon be a revolution in the aerospace industry. Now the reasons for these admissions and leaks may have a hidden agenda, but it is exciting to say the least. This is a fascinating article...

Here at China Lake, standing in the desert heat, the two survey their handiwork like proud papas, explaining how it has taken years to show that the concept behind this engine can open up an entirely new world of jet propulsion. "There's a big payoff," Lidstone says. "It's a paradigm shift that could make other things obsolete."

To read the popular science story refer to this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by William One Sac]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I posted th epics from that article on another topic. You can go there if you want to see them. The topic name was pulse detonation engines in action. Also I do believe that PDE will become the next revolution in aviation.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 09:13 PM
link   
A couple interesting patents among many others:

United States Patent 5,937,635
August 17, 1999

Pulse Detonation Igniter For Pulse Detonation Chambers

United States Patent 6,439,503
August 27, 2002

Pulse Detonation Cluster Engine

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   
WOS,

Interesting that you mention this in terms of a hidden agenda.

I have been long talking about the existence of MHD antigravity driven X Craft: it has been postulated that these vehicles will remain hidden until a massive national emergency or threat arises where thier open use is required.

I have a feeling that these releases of advanced technology may well be a way of preparing us for just such a realization.

posted on Sep, 26 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I got to this months Popular Science and got to reading an article on Pulse Detonation Engines(PDE's)....
Link:
www.popsci.com...

Seems the US is the furthest ahead, many countries haven't even begun testing stages.

Currently, Pratt and Whitney will be releasing a prototype missile(unknown whether it will be A-A, AGM, Cruise, or SAM) that will be able to travel at speeds in excess of Mach 6 in mid-2005. General Electric is also introducing a prototype PDE in 2005, but this as a test demonstrator, possibly for missiles. P&W's goal is to have a PDE missile market in 20 years by which time they will then be able to start producing aircraft PDE engins.

Although Pratt and Whitney is nearly 9 years ahead in research, GE has made some amazing strides.

Now, if these PDE's start to show up on lets say, US missiles, such as the Patriot, AMRAAM, and Tomahawk, will this give the US a distinct edge or just a moderate edge? Considering that the current PDE's use 1/2 as much fuel as a conventional turbofan, this should increase the range of the tomahawk significantly. It would require much reworking of the AMRAAM and the assembly for a PDE, but imagine an AMRAAM with a 300+km range, although I see many problems with a missile with that much range, mainly the data-link unless the missile goes active immediately and has near "infinite" tracking and agility abilities.

Also, does anyone think a PDE for a AShM should be the first priority missile for the US if this technology shines? If what P&W says is true, an AShM could fly at Mach 6 at sea level with no problems. This would give the US their first supersonic AShM, and give the US some serious firepower against ships. A M6 missile flying at sea level might only give the defending ships 10-20 seconds to react once acquiring the target.

Yes, this is all hypotheticals, I'm just really curious at the possibilities of this technology. Could really give the US what they need to take a "light year" jump ahead of many nations. Although I see this technology being heavily military influenced, imagine getting on a Boeing XXX in 30 years, you're traveling from NY to LA. A trip that now takes about 5.5 hours only taking 35-45 minutes.

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The PDE has been flying on the Aurora for years at Mach 6 / 7. Right now, the current military trend is for BVRMs and stealth. Hypersonic applications do not really exist yet for combat roles.

In the future, a hypersonic missile would be spotted on IR and vapourised by a defence laser before it even got close to the target. So, no hypersonic combat in the foreseeable future unless it's near-space based.

Hypersonic = hot!! 500 degrees C+!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lampyridae
The PDE has been flying on the Aurora for years at Mach 6 / 7.

really? and who are you? NASA employee? ?

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza

The PDE has been flying on the Aurora for years at Mach 6 / 7.

really? and who are you? NASA employee? ?

Gaza please..

Lampyridae seems to know alot.. lets not 'bash' him..

His 100% business, no BS.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
right. i forgot that he is an aurora pilot...

it seems to me that he watched too much star-trek

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Cmon, he might actually know.

Looks like based on our avatars that I am the old and you are the new!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Cmon, he might actually know.

Looks like based on our avatars that I am the old and you are the new!

Please,

I am 'FULCRUM'..

Hardly a 'noob' or 'amateur'..

Look at the introductions.. '3rd Try'

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Sorry, I meant Gaza. He has the FSB badge, I have the KGB.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm not of the impression that this technology lends itself to existing aircraft design anyways.

When combined with a gravity disruptor system or advanced stealth then it really becomes interesting.

It looks like an application of this tech would be near space where it could really shine in effectiveness.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The PDE has been flying on the Aurora for years at Mach 6 / 7. Right now, the current military trend is for BVRMs and stealth. Hypersonic applications do not really exist yet for combat roles.

In the future, a hypersonic missile would be spotted on IR and vapourised by a defence laser before it even got close to the target. So, no hypersonic combat in the foreseeable future unless it's near-space based.

Hypersonic = hot!! 500 degrees C+!

Now that the dust from the bashing by others I don't want to quote has settled, let's look at a few facts. There is such thing as a technology cycle, and here's how it works:

First Scientists and engineers conceve a new idea. This idea then goes into the research phase at a place like Area 51 or Write-Patterson AFB. This phase lasts for several years and includes testing of concepts and evaluation of the results. If the results are promising, then Strategic planners are breifed on the idea and its petential. These planners then figure out how to best use the technology. Then the R&D people go back a develope operational systems based on the technology and the mission. This system is then tested and feilded for use by the military. As you can see it's a fairly long cycle.

Tim

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
"Considering that the current PDE's use 1/2 as much fuel as a conventional turbofan"

wHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR INFORMATION? TURBOFANS ARE Far more efficient then PDEs. You are thinking about conventional turbojets. Even then PDEs, are only more efficient over a very limited spectrum. I think you should study PDEs before making wild assertions.

gltrs.grc.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Although this thread is almost 20 years old, the first time a pulse detonation wave engine was flown on an aircraft occurred on January 31, 2008, when a Rutan Long-EZ was used as a testbed for PDWE as part of a joint project between the Air Force Research Laboratory and Innovative Scientific Solutions, Inc.

Link:
www.af.mil...

top topics

join