It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King's inaccurate portrayal of Christian fundamentalism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
You must have missed the the part where Stephen King Is FICTION.

LOL Classic I love very witty smart criticism. Get the point across. Sorry for the one liner but I just had to. May my points be docked

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Just to throw my two cents into the fire; I'm sure someone probably posted this above but I got kinda focused on the original post and just skimmed through the rest of the thread

Aside from being fiction, and a portrayal of a different generation (as Byrd so eloquently wrote), one fundamentalist's beliefs are not necessarily the same as the next. Even two people who go to the same church and listen to the same sermons won't have the exact same interpretation of the teachings presented. The woman in Carrie may well be a fundamentalist Christian in her own eyes--hell, she may consider herself an extremely liberal and modern woman--but not in the eyes of someone else.

As I said, just my two cents

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Yep. I'd pay three cents for your two cents.

And most likely uncle Steve did not think it through that much. The character is probably a personification of all kinds of ideas about extremism that King rolled up into one character. She'd be less interesting otherwise. Probably. Plus she's supposed to be nuts right? We've all stumbled upon one of "those" types.

I lived in a fraternity next to a church building. A woman used to preach to us if she caught us going to class. Her eyes had that look. ANyway, we used to play Butthole Surfers with the speaker out the window when she got out of her car.

[edit on 31-10-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

<< 1   >>

join