It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man suicides in protest of WTO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
CANCUN, Mexico (Reuters) - A South Korean activist stabbed himself and died on Wednesday in violent anti-capitalism protests at a World Trade Organization (news - web sites) meeting in Mexico's Caribbean beach resort of Cancun.

Reporters saw the man climb up onto a high security fence and wave a banner that read "WTO Kills Farmers." He then stabbed himself in the chest.

The South Korean man, in his 50s, was carried away and treated for his injuries but later died in hospital. One of his friends said it was an "act of sacrifice" to show his disgust at the WTO and its policies.

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20030910/ts_nm/trade_wto_death_dc

Wow! This guy had some strong feelings on the subject.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
When I was in college, there was a beautiful Korean woman who always protested all kinds of things. Didnt really know what her politics were.

One day, read in the paper she came on campus, doused herself in gasoline and lit herself into a pyre....

I can respect someone who is very adamant about thier beliefs... however, a wasted human life is a huge waste when it doesnt do anything to change the situation.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That kind of protest does get attention, though.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Damm is that guy crazy or what? I actually saw it on TV and the guy stabbed himself in the heart with a knife of some kind. I was like OMG!! I understand fighting for what you believe in but this guy is just crazy. To kill himself just to prove a point?

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I cant see how it really matters in the long run. He will be forgotten, and noone will care.

He should have thought of a better form of protest.

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Another Darwin award candidate.... another scene for Faces of Death 20....

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Protesting is one thing but that is pure insanity.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I doubt killing himself will make a change. He will just be forgoten and what he wanted to stop will happen anyway.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I would never commit suicide over something like this, regardless of what they do. Because if the situation changes, I won't be around to see it and live through it. People who commit suicide in protest are dumb for doing so because it doesn't change anything. Well at least in most cases I've seen, it doesn't change anything, and all they're doing is killing themselves and giving a big # you to the people who have helped him/her throughout life. Commiting suicide is a cowardly way to leave lifes stage.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think he did it for himself if that makes any sense.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   

It was really sad to hear about this, I personally wanted to go over there and protest myself but didn�t really have enough money for the trip. I am glad some people really take the fight against this seriously, but I really cant see why he killed himself... maybe in pure desperation.

This is however a very strong message, and could result in some positive things. Maybe it will get someone to open their eyes. Maybe someone watched this on the news and thought to themselves: "why would someone kill oneself in protest of WTO?" And then started to read and learn about the WTO and global capitalism, and maybe they will join the fight against it themselves in the future. Doing things like this may also make sure the protests get attention like Mycroft said.

I believe the guy would have been more valuable for the cause alive though.

[Edited on 14-9-2003 by AntiSystem]

top topics

join