It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bali Bombings Leave 24 Dead - 95 Injured

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As expected the attack has been linked to al-Qaida

Indonesia said Sunday it suspected two fugitives linked to al-Qaida had masterminded the suicide bombings of crowded restaurants in tourist resorts on the Indonesian island of Bali which killed at least 26 people and injured more than 100.

Maj. Gen. Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terror official, identified the two suspected masterminds as Malaysians alleged to be key members of the al-Qaida-linked Jemaah Islamiyah terror group. They are also accused of orchestrating the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings, as well as two other attacks in the Indonesian capital in 2003 and 2004. The nightclub bombings, which also struck venues crowded with tourists on a Saturday night, killed 202 people, most of them foreigners.

In the latest attacks, three suicide bombers wearing explosive vests set off near-simultaneous explosions that devastated three restaurants crowded with diners on Saturday night.

Bal i Bombing Suspects Linked to al-Qaida

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Appears to be the work of terrorists, eh?

Has any group claimed responsibility? I offer some possible motive:

Aziz Presents Road Map for Islamic Nations’ Progress
Elisia Yeo, Agence France Presse

KUALA LUMPUR, 2 October 2005 — Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz yesterday outlined a “road map” to economic progress for Muslim countries, including overcoming crippling conflicts and promoting better governance.

“There can be no doubt that we possess tremendous potential. The task before us is to translate this potential into assets,” Aziz told government officials and business leaders at the opening of the World Islamic Economic Forum.

Malaysia, Pakistan sign accord to reduce trade tariffs

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia and Pakistan on Saturday agreed to remove tariffs on scores of products they trade with each other including fish, fabric, fruit and machines as the first step toward a planned free trade agreement.

The two countries exchanged a list of 239 products that will benefit from the agreement, most of which will be traded with no tariffs. The duties on others will be reduced to 5 per cent.

Pakistan Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz is in Malaysia to attend an Islamic economic forum. A Malaysian government statement said the Early Harvest Programme, which comes into affect Jan. 1, 2006, will provide "an impetus for an early conclusion" to the negotiations for the bilateral free trade agreement, or FTA.

The frequent exchanges of high-level visits have also resulted in an increased interest of Malaysian companies in Pakistan which are now more actively engaged in various economic activities, particularly in telecom, real-estate, information technology, construction and energy.

Rather NAFTA/CAFTAesque?

Fighting western economic policies in the east with terrorism is one thing that shouldn't come as a surprise after 9/11 and the war in Iraq?

Yes, it's an act of terrorism. But what is it that the terrorists fear that needs to be fought in this manner?

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
^^^ Bali is in Indonesia not Malaysia

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I realize that, Rogue. But I still think it has to do with the trade organization and economics in the region. Possibly even foreign investments? A warning to their islamic bretheren?

Maybe more will surface when the dead are known and why these targets were chosen, if not for their random availability to create fear.

If it was NY, check to see who has regular tables there.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by psyopswatcher]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
There is something going on in the area at the moment. Indonesias activities have been questioned by the American senate and the take over by Indonesia of Papua has been questioned by a senate committee.

There has been suspicious activities surrounding the political scene in the country over the last twelve months including the maybe accidental death of some top government officials in the recent plane crash in Medan.

Indonesia has started cracking down hard on foreigners with Drugs in Bali with the strip searches and random drug tests along with some high profile arrests for minor to major drug offences for some aussies.

Then the court trials, Shappelle Corby gets 20 years for marijuana and a Bali bomber gets 7 years and is then released.

It is seemingly that Indonesia is sending a clear message...tourists go home. Foreigners get out.

Then there is all the Australian government officials going for visits there to meet with various gove officials there. Many many meetings, I am not sure if any American officiasl have been for visits but i guess they are leaving it to the aussies to handle.

The region, especially the papua area is rich in natural resources. The government is a loose cannon as far as the new world order is concerned and yet the countries geographical posistion of the gateway to Australia from Asia puts it in a commanding and stategically dangerous light.

I am sure the IMF and World Bank have their hands in there somewhere but yes I do agree all this has much to do with the economic and political scene in the nation.

It will be interesting to watch proceeeding in the region in the next few months.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   

www.news.com.au...

THE video images are grainy but the effect is chilling.
A man in a black T-shirt calmly crosses the Raja restaurant in Bali, where friends and family are eating, drinking and chatting away, enjoying a festive Saturday night out.

He walks back toward the kitchen, and then comes the boom of an explosion.

And then there are screams and panic.

Indonesian police showed the footage to reporters yesterday but would not identify the man who shot the video, saying his identity was being kept secret for his own protection.

But the images of one of the three bombings that ripped through Bali, killing at least 26 people and wounding more than 120 in all, provided a glimpse into the work of those who kill themselves in order to kill others.

I do wonder about the cameraman, just happened to be intensively filming that restaurant at exact moment of bomb going off.

www.news.com.au...

ANONYMOUS phone text messages warning of more terror attacks have unnerved Bali's expatriate community, with many Australian residents saying they are ready to leave the island.
One of the messages warns of a possible strike in Seminyak, an upmarket area popular with foreign tourists about 3km north of Kuta.

There is no official confirmation that another attack might be planned and unsubstantiated rumours sent via text messages have done the rounds after previous terrorist attacks in Indonesia.

But nobody is taking any chances by ignoring the messages.

Containing spelling and grammatical errors, one message appears to have originated from a non-native English speaker.

Now it is really sounding like someone wants all tourists and expats out. Many tourists are saying they are unfazed by this bombing and will return and others are still taking holidays despite this all happening. If there is a "foreigners go home" message being broadcast from certain quarters and it doesn't work, what is the next move?
So who has these ex pats phone numbers? The GOV?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would go to Indonesia on vacation after the bombings, the release of the mastermind, and what happened to that Australian girl with the marijuana conviction.

My thoughts exactly. Nice scenery, good dope or sex, nothing is worth it. Not with the current corrupt gov't.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Amateur video capturing one of the bombings:

Real broadband

Real dial-up

Win broadband

Win dial-up

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
petrol/gasoline prices increased on Sunday, the day after the attacks in Indonesia, the friday before university students were rioting in response to the anticipated increase of 50% (i think). There is now nothing in the news in regards to the massive rise in the price of petrol...

bakdraft-

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Amateur video capturing one of the bombings:

I should clarify that this is an Australian ABC news piece showing a clip from an amateur video which happened to capture one of the bombings. There is no graphic content.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join