It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Operation Iron Fist - US Launches New Offensive Near Syrian Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Over 1000 US marines along with soldiers and sailors launched a new offensive in the Western Iraq town of Qaim, which is 12 kilometres from the Syrian border. Nearby settlements including Sedea and Karabila are also involved in the offensive which is code named "Operation Iron Fist". A doctor in the town of Sedea has reported that ten people have been killed so far with another 8 injured by helicopter attacks within the township.

www.news.com.au
US forces, backed by helicopters, launched another big offensive in the far west of Iraq near the Syrian border today to hunt militants linked to al-Qaeda, the US military said.

Around 1000 marines, soldiers and sailors launched Operation Iron Fist in the early hours against insurgents in the town of Qaim, 12km from the Syrian border, and nearby settlements including Sedea.

It is at least the third major offensive US forces have conducted in the area over the past four months.

Previous operations appear to have failed as insurgents have quickly returned to reoccupy the towns and resume guerrilla activities.

"Operation Iron Fist began in the early morning hours with the objectives of rooting out al Qaeda in Iraq terrorists operating within the area and disrupting insurgent support systems," Marine Captain Jeffrey Pool said in a statement.

"For the past several months, terrorists within Sedea have escalated their intimidation and murder campaign against the local populace and city government officials," he said.

www.abc.net.au...
But doctors say there have been civilian casualties.

The cars of two families fleeing into the desert to escape the fighting had been hit overnight.

Ten people had been killed, including at least three children.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This area certainly has been busy over the last few months and a major concern and concentration of US forces seem to be involved there. Operation Iron Fist? I always associate that with the Nazi's of World War II

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

[edit on 1-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
im sorry but americans are not nazis. my boss's son is part of this battle so id like to wish the marines goodluck and godspeed. i voted kerry so dont think im a bush lover, and im an american so dont assume im a nazi.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I dont see why the military just doesnt do the same thing they did with Falluja. Ever since that offensive you havnt heard too much activity coming out of there.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Dead people =No activity . It is a disgrace what was done in Fallujah, how can you suggest that it be repeated? If killing people is bringing them democracy then in the words of our illustrious leader "We're doing a heckuva job!"

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
im sorry but americans are not nazis. my boss's son is part of this battle so id like to wish the marines goodluck and godspeed. i voted kerry so dont think im a bush lover, and im an american so dont assume im a nazi.

I didn't call the Americans NAZI's. What I was saying is that "Iron Fist" has been associated with Nazi's. It was a bad choice of code name for this operation.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CindyfromFlorida
Dead people =No activity . It is a disgrace what was done in Fallujah, how can you suggest that it be repeated? If killing people is bringing them democracy then in the words of our illustrious leader "We're doing a heckuva job!"

local support = insurgency

i doubt they are innocent if their town is hevily infiltrated by insurgents and terrorists, these people are the only reason we are having difficulty winning therefore they are part of the problem and not the people we are there to bring democracy to.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have to admit that the name "Iron Fist" doesn't exactly sound too happy and friendly. But hey, it's a war, I doubt it was supposed to be happy and friendly.

Personally I'm glad to see we're taking the initiative in securing to area. I'm not for the war, but I am for securing the nation before we leave. It's about time we took the action to the enemy instead of waiting for them to send us suicide bombers.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
If securing Iraq means eliminating the local population that doesn't want us there I don't see how that can bring democracy to anyone. It will definitely take out a large percentage of the population though. I sure hope they don't decide to bring back democracy here in the US.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I dont see why the military just doesnt do the same thing they did with Falluja. Ever since that offensive you havnt heard too much activity coming out of there.

The attack on Fallujah did not reduce the Iraqi insurgency.
There was a higher rate of insurgent attacks throughout Iraq after the assault than there were before the assault. They're still having massive bombings everyday in Iraq.

Look at the number of daily attacks. Does it look like they're moving in the right direction?
iraqattacks2005099en.jpg
Brookings

I doubt this latest offensive is going going to reduce the insurgency either.
The insugency will likely last as long as the occupation lasts.

The insurgents will just move back into these locations after the assaults are over.
They're already moving back into Fallujah.
Insurgents regain foothold, unleash terror in Fallujah

[edit on 1-10-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
These so called "offensives" only result in decreased activity for a short period of time and I don't see this one as being any different.

Until the political situation in Iraq between the Shiites, Kurds and Sunnis is resolved in a way they can all live with, I don't think much of anything will change. I'm pessimistic about a near term solution of any sort, it looks more and more like there could be a civil war in Iraq.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet\What I was saying is that "Iron Fist" has been associated with Nazi's. It was a bad choice of code name for this operation.

You know what's funny is that "Iron Fist" isn't such an obvious propaganda name as some of the other names to come out of the Bush administration. I mean "Operation Enduring Freedom"? The "Patriot" act? Come on...

[edit on 2-10-2005 by ShakyaHeir]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
And Yet Again the USMC go there First.

I bet they will Fire 100.000 rounds of bullets to kill one Insurgent, and I wonder where the rest of this rounds go? Considering that there are no such think as "Smart Bullets" (YET!), I bet they find other Targets - most of the time Civilan. Ten people already killed, 3 Children among them. Insurgents? Or just people living there.

Yeah, I bet Operation "Iron Fist" will be declared a Grea Success and the Army will be Proud of their Actions near the Syrian Border.

Maybe they won the Battle - but they will LOOSE the war...

new topics

top topics

join