It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attn Smokers: Why do people Start smoking?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well I started smoking when I was about 15, 16. It was cool, and to be quite honest, I figured if it was that bad for you....if it really would kill you then it wouldnt be legal. Boy was I wrong. I have tried to quit so many times. However, I just bought this subliminal cd especially for women to help quit smoking forever. It is awesome! So wish me luck.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I am extremely enjoying this thread. I find myself interested in peoples personal reasons for smoking. How many times have smokers taken a good look at themselves and analyzed why they do it? How many of those who do are even willing to share their analysis with others? Not many. Not often.

I think its good for smokers to share with each other (and with non smokers as well) their own personal reasons for smoking - like a smokers anonymous or something lol. I can give you a one word answer that will answer any tangent questions involved and go to the core of each person's reasons:

Stress.

It all boils down to stress and the management of...

link   
Because everyone else did, and I looked cool. If you did a Bogart, and let it hang on your lip, then it pretty much cover the smell of singeing hair when you're branding cattle.

I smoked for 16 years.

quitting was terrible.

I tried those "nicotine patch" thingies; but they were too hard to keep lit.

now I just chew 'em

I've been clean, free, and minty fresh for 7 years now.

link   

Originally posted by Holden

Originally posted by worldwatcher
why? because cigarettes provide a quick fix for stress, tension and other problems people face in their lives.

I also agree with some past karmic law coming into to play. I started at age 19 or 20, stopped completely twice for more than a year and picked up the habit again. I'm 30 now btw. I smoke about 5-7 a day too. I cannot see myself ever being a chain smoker or a pack a day smoker.

Cigarrettes provide for me, something to do when I'm bored, something to aid my digestion after meals, a wake up call, a night cap, and the most important stress relief. I have other ways of releasing stress, but not all methods are practical and as convenient as a quick light up and a few pulls.

But don't be mistaken, the above is simply my own excuses for why I cannot quit at this time, the true problem is that I am addicted to it. But I am also addicted to Coca Cola and must drink at at least 3 cans a day. No excuses, but vices comes in all methods and things and these are just mine. I'm still healthy, active, but my method of slow suicide is cigarrettes instead of alcohol, food, or pharmaceutical and non pharmaceutical drugs.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by worldwatcher]

This is totally HILARIOUS! Oh how misinformed we are about our own bodies. You are completely kidding yourself about your justification why you smoke. People need to wake up and realize what they are doing to themselves and their neighbors and the world around them. .

Ummmm did you miss that part??? I totally admit my addiction and that the above reasons are "my current justification" as why I am still addicted.

As for my neighbors, screw dem, maybe they should stop drinking acting like assholes and driving cars, crashing them into other people.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
looking again at the answers others gave, you're all right. Coffee isn't as good without a cig; neither is beer.

I still miss a good cigar. Wife won't let me smoke it because of the insurance (life) issues.

But man, a Royal Jamaica, the corona length; in the maduro wrapper. Served along with a white russian.

8 years later, I still smoke in my dreams.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
From what I've read, EVERY SINGLE PERSON who responded with a reason for starting to smoke did it for a psychological reason that helped to "crutch" or hide their insecurity about themselves.

AMAZING that without exception, all of these people succumbed to ADDICTION (think about that... ADDICTION!!!!) to hide their mental problems/weaknesses.

I've got a friend (yes, he's kinda crude) but he says he never deals with smokers... he says they "aint right in the head". A bit rude and crude, I admit, but maybe, perhaps, there is something to it.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
As with trying any new drug or activity, it all comes down to curiousity...you try it a couple times and like it, and keep doing it, and then it takes control. Nicotine is incredibly addictive, and people have to do it. Pretty much everyone now who smokes knows the risks and they don't care anyway. I've never once tried smoking...tobacco at least.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
From what I've read, EVERY SINGLE PERSON who responded with a reason for starting to smoke did it for a psychological reason that helped to "crutch" or hide their insecurity about themselves.

AMAZING that without exception, all of these people succumbed to ADDICTION (think about that... ADDICTION!!!!) to hide their mental problems/weaknesses.

I've got a friend (yes, he's kinda crude) but he says he never deals with smokers... he says they "aint right in the head". A bit rude and crude, I admit, but maybe, perhaps, there is something to it.

So are you saying that you and your friend are better people than I?

What about Winston Churchhill? He smoked, was he a bad man?

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Alcohol is a crutch...do you drink coffee in the morning? That's an addiction as well. Fast food, soda, sugar...you say people are weak if they "have to" smoke or whatever...well, everyone has crutches...it just varies by each person, and how they choose to deal with life. I have never tried smoking, or have been interested in it. I also know quite a few people who have tried it, and didn't like it, or like it enough to just do it occasionally. You are the weak individual if you try to put down other people because of what they choose to do...

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Anyone who puts others down to make themselves look better isn't worthy of attention.

If it is your premise that smokers are more mentally deficient than non smokers then let me use the last time i post in any of your threads for a few facts and statistics to help "crutch" your weak and feeble arguement.

Did you know that Hitler did not smoke yet both Churchill and Roosevelt did?

Most (more than 80%) serial killers are non smokers.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both smoked.

Natural Tobacco (the kind the native americans used) is not addictive. Its the additives in it that makes it addictive.

(and btw i see NO evidence that EVERY smoker who responded in this thread has mental deficiencies - granted my talk of past lives may fall into that catagory - but what about all the others? Thats a LAME statement if i ever seen one.)

One last question, are you a medical doctor? I am. I spent over 8 years (yes i smoked that whole time) at a prestigious university learning all about the various health and wellness systems of the human body and mind. Yes i still smoke, but at least im armed with enough information to make an informed hypothesis and decisions based upon them...

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Natural tobacco is still addictive as it contains nicotine...but in cigarettes there are many other chemicals added such as cyanide, formaldehyde, and other things that are very bad for you. Smoking doesn't CAUSE lung cancer...but those who smoke are more likely to have lung cancer in the future...it is just a correlational study linking those two. And I strongly believe, as some others do, that actual tobacco has nothing to do with cancer.

It is most likely the added poisons by the tobacco companies that really makes cigarettes dangerous. If you grew and dried and smoked your own tobacco, I would bet anything your chance of getting lung cancer would be much lower than if you just smoke cigarettes. Not to mention you would probably save a good amount of money.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Shoktek]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join