It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: EU Faces Standoff Over Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The European Union faces a split over the issue of whether to admit Turkey into the union and plans to hold an emergency meeting this Sunday in Brussels to review the matter. Although many countries seem skeptical about Turkey's entrance, only Austria seems to be opposing even holding talks at the moment. The failure of the EU Constitution in referendums earlier this year have been partially attributed to fears of Turkey's admission by some voters.

www.voanews.com
European Union foreign ministers will hold emergency talks in Luxembourg Sunday in a last-ditch attempt to break a deadlock over the scheduled beginning of the bloc's membership negotiations with Turkey a day later. The standoff has been caused by Austria's insistence that the EU should only open talks if a clear alternative to full membership for Turkey is inserted in the negotiating framework.

Last December, all 25 EU members, including Austria, agreed that Turkey's long-sought membership talks should begin on October 3. They promised Turkey that the goal of the negotiations, which are expected to take at least a decade, would be full membership in the bloc and nothing else.

But that was before voters in France and the Netherlands turned down the EU's draft constitution. Among the reasons they gave for doing so was a concern about the EU's ability to absorb such a huge, mostly poor and overwhelmingly Muslim country like Turkey.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems to me like opening up Turkey to free migration into Europe could potentially be a disaster, and I don't blame some people from being hesistant to doing it. However, Turkey has been working hard at this and has already gone through many reforms to allow itself to apply for EU membership...it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I dont see how this becomes a problem. The EU members will be able to get cheap labor, as well as investing high volume businesses into the country using lower start-up capital. It is not as if this country is some unstable anarchic nation like Somalia. I would say Turkey is the equivelant of Colombia or Argentina in South America.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The real question is the human rights violations which cannot be tolerated in a member country.

Everything else is just penmanship.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I dont see how this becomes a problem. The EU members will be able to get cheap labor, as well as investing high volume businesses into the country using lower start-up capital.

I think it'd be kind of like the U.S. totally opening up its border to Mexican labor, and the EU has a much higher unemployment rate than the U.S. already. It's not surprising to me to see opposition.

xu

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
its settled BBC

I must say I find some comments here narrow-minded but now that it is sealed, everybody will wait and see and then can steer their comments with actual facts rather than speculations.

do you think the motivation of the public of turkey is something like, "oh great we cant wait to flock to their land this will be great just that we will have to wait 10 more years and its ours"

people want to enter EU because it is what they wish for a better life, the social rules and protection of their rights, raising of the standards, great reforms in every aspect specially agriculture since the place has so much potential for it yet cant make a dime out of it for some reason. what people need is better life standards in their own land, and believe me people of the nations who are allowed to buy property and land from turkey has done it for last decade excessively that it became a concern. and now it is only limited to city limits so the sales could be slowed down. lots and lots of people are visiting TR for holidays for gods sake, it is not a waste land and it is geographically a beautifull place, what it lacks is the reforms and organisation. the TR could heal and improve itself without EU but it will take more time and resources. not to forget EU also needs this as much as TR needs this.

not to forget TR and EU already signed the international customs agrement in 1999, which forbids TR to sign any trade agreement by its own with whomever she wishes but only with those countries which EU signes a trade agrement with. The recent fuss about half-full membership was ridicilous, and fortunately solved. can you think of something like "we can enter we can invest we can harvest we can employ we can buy and sell but you cant, welcome brothers"

even though TR will be in good shape when these all settle down and conditions will improve, I think I could go abroad like new zealand or Australia I admire those places regarding their nature, hey aussies when will you set-up something like an Union so we can enter
OK I will have to go there by myself then.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xu

its settled BBC

Yup, they had a meeting yesterday and agreed to open the door for talks. Turkey and Croatia may both have a chance now.

Turkey And Croatia To Enter EU?

new topics

top topics

join