It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.N Calls For Uganda To Ban Child Sacrifice and Female Circumcision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
At the conclusion of a three week meeting called to examine the records of eight nations, The United Nations "Committee On The Rights Of The Child" has asked Uganda to ban child sacrifice and female circumcision, a barbaric practise still practised in the African nation. Child sacrifice takes place regularly in the districts of Mukono and Kayunga in central Uganda and female circumcision is widely practised throughout the nation. A United Nations program has been introduced to educate and change the mindset of the women elders who perform the surgery, often in unhygenic conditions and without anaesthesia. The female genital mutilation is considered a rite of passage to adulthood in many African nations and is ultimately aimed at keeping the female loyal to her husband sexually.

www.news.com.au
The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child also urged the Kampala government to step up efforts to prevent youths being abducted by the rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and to rescue boy and girl soldiers and slaves already in their brutal hands.

Uganda's delegation, which was led by the Minister for Gender, Labour and Social Development, Zoe Bakoko Bakoru, told the committee that child sacrifice is a problem in one area and those who perpetrate this crime are reported and prosecuted.

It called for the practice to be banned and urged the government to prosecute offenders while conducting public awareness campaigns on such "negative cultural practices".

Female genital mutilation, which the government delegation said amounts to "silent death", is still widely practiced in Uganda, according to the UN committee.

A 19-year-old war in the north, which has forced 1.6 million people into squalid camps, has left nearly one million orphans and 25,000 boys and girls abducted into slavery, according to UNICEF.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This issue is one I do agree that the United Nations should aim at wiping out. It is barbaric, cruel and shows a total lack of respect for female sexuality.

As for the child sacrifice, If there is a God who created all this life, I doubt he would be impressed with people who destroy it in his name. Especially innocent children with their whole lives ahead cut short in the most horrid of ways.

To find either of these practises still exist on this planet shows that mankind is not yet ready to move forward towards the future and shows man has not overcome prejudices towards fellow man.

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
www.news24.com

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Child sacrifice is wrong, of course. Strange that we need a law for this, or that it will somehow now become passe to murder children due to its illegality.

Female "circumcision" is not circumcision of any kind. It is not circumcision where a male child's foreskin is removed, no, because that male child still has fully functioning sex apparatus. In female "circumcision", the girl child's labia are carved out. If you are a man, know that this is like peeling a layer off the trunk of your penis. Not to mention if your talking full excision of the clitoris and labia, which is still tolerated in some religious circles --normally the circles with harems and what have you.

Oh but don't you realize? It's their culture to maim their daughters in this way. It is this thing called culture which keeps us from collectively disallowing heinous acts upon other humans (which means ourselves and our sons/daughters).

It seems odd to me that women, worldwide, are not more interested in seeing this practice eradicated. If male children were having their dongs lopped off, there'd be an army knocking that country down tomorrow.

It's blatantly cruel, and of no religious value to an empathetic God.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I can only ask:

What ever happened to the idea of cultural equivalency?

How is child sacrifice different than abortion, especially partial birth abortion if you prefer?

Is Uganda not a sovereign nation?

Who are we, or the UN, to interfere in the internal business of a sovereign nation?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
You would wonder why the UN has taken so long to speak out about the practice of child sacrifice and female mutilation. Then again child ‘murder’ (and that is what it is) takes place in many countries not just Uganda – China as an example.

Female mutilation is another practice, which is wide spread. It happens in so civilised countries as well, such as America, England and yes in Australia. Numbers are less yes, but the practice takes place nevertheless.

I support the UN in speaking out about these practices but lets get real and not just focus on one country. Yes, I also wonder where the voice of women and the church are in these matters. Their silence is deafening.

As to the question – what is the difference between abortion and child sacrifice? If you break it down to the lowest denominator there is no difference. After reading the article on partial abortion I am stunned. How can so-called enlightened people perform such acts of object cruelty?

As to the question of how can we interfere in the practices of a sovereign nation I ask you – how can we stand by and do nothing? That is the problem with much of the world today – people stand by and do nothing. We are citizens of this earth, it is about time we all started to act as such and to honour our place in creating a world based on equality.

[edit on 1/10/2005 by Lady of the Lake]

top topics

join