It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft-Style Black Boxes For Cars!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Excerpted From:
iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk

Car which will book you for speeding
Sep 26 2005

Roadside speed cameras will be redundant eventually because vehicles will automatically cop themselves for speeding.

This is the plan of the Department for Transport, which has commissioned companies to develop aircraft-style black boxes for cars.

They will record every aspect of a vehicle's performance and automatically issue a ticket every time the vehicle exceeds a speed limit.

The black boxes will be linked to central computers via the Global Positioning System so that the prevailing speed limit is known at any given point in time.

Every time a vehicle breaks the limit the black boxes will send a signal to the computer with the car registration number and a ticket will be issued automatically.

*please visit above link for more details*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you can bet I'm gonna buy one of these! I just love speeding tickets!
So now you gotta own a car that will self-police itself? In a few years, this could be made mandatory!

And what about those times when you're on the interstate and you have people behind you speeding and can't get over? This is just not realistic IMO, because there are too many circumstances in driving that may cause you to speed, even if slightly.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
No way!

2 years ago the local paper ran a story exactly like this.
Except it was a April fools joke.

I can't believe now it is a reality.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just a few steps away from administering chips to everyone that monitors their activity, fining them/notifying the authorities when they do something illegal...

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I would like to be chipped, I would like my dog to be chipped, and my car..?...WOW could it get any better?

I really dont see this as an April fools joke..(even though one story at one time was) This is a VERY easy place to get to because of micro-technology and GPS systems and SAT imagary...they could book you for speeding and then pull up the SAT image from the location that you were speeding and zoom in to see if there were any circumstances that would warrant your said speeding...if not please pay $199.95 at your local police station...now offering drive-thru for your conveinence.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
They have had EDRs (Event data recorders) in cars for awhile now. People have already been convicted in court by them. If you have a new car chances are you got one already under your seat or were ever they hide them now.

Right now they only record a few seconds of data before a accident. But the tech already exist to make them record months of data and it would be very easy just requiring a larger memory chip.

You cant really take them out of your car either as they are tied into your cars electrical system and its even illegal to remove them in some states. Now there is ways around them but thats another thread.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
That's very different, though. That's storing data and then catching you. If it kept a record of your speeds, that would be different than automatically fining you for speeding. One is keeping track of data should you ever have to prove something (or having something proven to you) and the other is a clear intrusion of the law into one's own life.

And, just to add, at certain times it's dangerous to go the speed limit - everyone else is going 10, 15 mph above. That's why cops pull over those who aren't going with the flow of traffic, it's that activity that causes harm.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
They have had EDRs (Event data recorders) in cars for awhile now. People have already been convicted in court by them. If you have a new car chances are you got one already under your seat or were ever they hide them now.

I think Ford was the first. the recorders cover the last 3 seconds and were put in to collect data on what was going on with air bag deployment. Lawyers got wind of it and its downhill ever since.

THere is concern here in California because the FASTRAK toll transponders can be used to calculate speed as well. And cause each is unique for that account, tickets could be issued.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I think Ford was the first. the recorders cover the last 3 seconds and were put in to collect data on what was going on with air bag deployment. Lawyers got wind of it and its downhill ever since.

I read a while back about insurance companies installing equipment in people's cars to monitor their driving habbits. It was a strictly voluntary program that I think was conducted in Minnesota. Basically, if the information from the computer in your car reveals that you are a safe driver who doesn't exceed the speed limit, make frequent sudden stops, etc. then the insurance company would provide you with a safe driver discount.

Privacy advocates fear that insurance companies may someday try to make this mandatory for all of their customers, and charge them accordingly. So now not only do we have to look over our shoulder (or under our seats) for Big Brother, but soon we may have the private sector infringing on our civil liberties as well!

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Great, another way the government can monitor everything we do.....I'm getting tired of this type of stuff, but most of the American people aren't, or don't see it as the government controlling their lives, only "They're keeping us safe". Surrrre. Now if it was JUST something that could be recovered after a crash that collected data that'd be fine, but being hooked to gps? That's too much.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Actually for the past few years many new cars sold here in America came with a black box.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
more like a heads up,

cloaked as a joke.

and like 1984 , there are still people who don't get it ! wtf ?

join