It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raptor On Track To Be Declared Combat Ready (Plus some tidbits)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The Raptor is finising up its Follow-On Test and Evaluation and is set to become combat ready this December. Some of the things they have revealed about the plane:

A few years away, the Spiral-3 upgrade will enable the plane to cary up to 8 small diameter bombs in addition to 2 AMRAAMS and 2 Aim-9's
or
4 SDB, 4 AMMRAMS and 2 Aim-9's

During testing, they found that even being outnumbered 4 to 1 was a winnable scenario. This apparently also applies to close range engagements.

When the air to air refulling door is opened, the sidestick controll dampens the inputs to make the plane more controllable

While the exact ranges are classified, its high altitude max endurance range is said to be "substantial" and because of its internal weapons bay, even in the ferry configuration its still potent

The U.S. Air Force's F/A-22 program is on track to complete follow-on test and evaluation (FOT&E) flights within the next few weeks, passing another key milestone on the road to being declared combat-ready in December.

About 80 Raptor missions are scheduled during FOT&E, with most to be completed by the end of September. Roughly 90% of follow-on testing is devoted to air-to-ground missions, dropping both live and inert GBU-32 1,000-lb. Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs), some at supersonic speeds. The first JDAM missions were flown Aug. 29. Several JDAM attacks will be conducted in a GPS-jamming environment, as well.

The F/A-22 FOT&E team also plans to fire seven air-to-air missiles at the White Sands Missile Range, N.M. One will be shot immediately after delivering a JDAM. "As we come into the target area, an [enemy fighter] will try to get us. We'll fire the missile, then drop the JDAM and egress," assessing the Raptor's dual-role capabilities in a realistic scenario, says Maj. Mike E. Kensick, an FOT&E pilot and weapons officer focusing on global strike and Link-16 datalink testing.

Raptor Testing Near Completion

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
MARIETTA, Ga. --- Lockheed Martin delivered the 50th F/A-22 Raptor air dominance fighter to the U.S. Air Force today, marking another milestone in this revolutionary stealth aircraft program. The Raptor can dominate airspace anywhere around the globe, around the clock, and survive in contested airspace better than any other aircraft in the world.

"Fifty Raptors -- more than two full squadrons -- are in the hands of U.S. Air Force men and women charged with ensuring total air dominance for our nation so that all soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen can do their jobs," said Larry Lawson, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics executive vice president and F/A-22 general manager. "Air dominance has been a vital element of every conflict since World War I. The Raptor is a leap forward in capability necessary to maintain our ability to own the high ground for the next four decades. We're proud to be a part of this achievement and look forward to continuing to provide the men and women defending our country an overwhelmingly effective weapon system."

This 50th F/A-22 will join Raptors flying today as part of the 1st Fighter Wing's 27th Fighter Squadron at Langley AFB, Va. Sixty-three of the 83 fighters now on contract have completed final assembly. All remaining aircraft scheduled for delivery to the Air Force in 2005 are on the flightline in Marietta undergoing flight tests and final preparation for delivery.

(Source: Lockheed Martin Corporation; issued Sept. 28, 2005)

www.defense-aerospace.com...

Just a bit more info,

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Jezza]

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Jezza]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
*raises glass*
Here's to global air dominance for at least the next decade.

This is very exciting news. Very very exciting. I've found this very exciting, following the F-22 as best I can for a few years now. Now that it is nearly combat ready I can say that I've witnessed the birth of a new generation of how air to air warfare will be conducted. And if I'm lucky, one day I'll get to work with these magnificant aircraft.

My hats off to all those who have gotten this program as far as it has.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is truely a great technical achievement. Its one thing to build a demonstrator......but its completely another thing to put 2 operational squadrons into service, with more rolling off the assembly line.

I wonder when the requests for FMS will start rolling in?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
that is if they havent already and have been told very nicely no. Again though good on all the people that have worked so hard to put this great machine together. Pyros its funny u mentioned the deminsrator cause i just resently was looking at the differences between the two and its very kool how agressive the redone production model looks in when compared.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Canada_EH]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
that is if they havent already and have been told very nicely no.

I assume you mean the foreign sales? I suspect that the Pentagon will lobby hard for it. More sales will drive down the unit cost and keep the line open. Japan is a frontrunner for it as it would dovetail right into thier regional defence plan. It may be too expensive for Australia and Great Britain but you never know.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
From what yours saying japan is the top contender for the 22 then when it comes to FMS. What is getting me is how the military law for keeping their military as a defense have slowly seemed to be slipping lose and I wonder if anyone on the forums has anything to say to that when it comes to sellign the 22 to them. Personally I dont have big problems with it but it seems like japan is becoming more and more a part of the US plan for power in asia and they aren't addressing the acts that where put into place after ww2. Ask a veteran what they think about japan getting 22's?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Ask a veteran what they think about japan getting 22's?

i tell him that if he views Japan as an enemy still, i tell him that his mind is back to the past instead of the present and future. WW2 was over, over half century ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ok I know Im over reacting a bit but honestly. The navy and Air Force that Japan is gettign its good their on our side.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Canada_EH]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Ok I know Im over reacting a bit but honestly. The navy and Air Force that Japan is gettign its good their on our side.

Japan has been a steadfast ally since the war and remains our biggest ally in the region. Yes thier defence policy has changed but with Crazy Kim making all those threats can you blame them?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So does anyone want to hazzared a guess as to when the 22 would be ready for export to a FM? I personally would think a 3 to 4 years at the most early time but that 7 years would be a little too long. I really am just make slightly enducated guess.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

So does anyone want to hazzared a guess as to when the 22 would be ready for export to a FM? I personally would think a 3 to 4 years at the most early time but that 7 years would be a little too long. I really am just make slightly enducated guess.

I think it would depend. If the Pentagon can get the sale approved. If approval is given for an export version then it would be a matter of where in the production run they would get thier aircraft. I have no doubt that the USAF would defer production of a squadron or two to allow for an export run, especially if it ment that they could pick up a few more planes on the backside due to lower costs.

However, I they started today to push for it, Ill bet its at least 3 years down the road and a new adminsitration could easily say no.

top topics

join