It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Bennett's Morning In America: Brain Food for 1.25 Million Americans in 115 Markets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Is it just me, or is conservative talk radio the most awkward, uncomfortable, forced and revealing phenomenon in decades?

Former Republican Education Secretary, self proclaimed moral authority, ethics guru, habitual gambler and broadcaster Bill Bennett stated on his radio program that, "if you wanted to reduce crime, you could - if that were your sole purpose - abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down."

Audio clip at MediaMatters.

I recognize these conversations for what that are. Just a couple guys talking. Weaving their way in and out of nonsense trying to tie giant conspiracy theories together with loose logic and garbage bag ties.

But man, the places they go...

From the September 28 broadcast of Salem Radio Network's Bill Bennett's Morning in America:

CALLER: I noticed the national media, you know, they talk a lot about the loss of revenue, or the inability of the government to fund Social Security, and I was curious, and I've read articles in recent months here, that the abortions that have happened since Roe v. Wade, the lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30-something years, could fund Social Security as we know it today. And the media just doesn't -- never touches this at all.

BENNETT: Assuming they're all productive citizens?

CALLER: Assuming that they are. Even if only a portion of them were, it would be an enormous amount of revenue.

BENNETT: Maybe, maybe, but we don't know what the costs would be, too. I think as -- abortion disproportionately occur among single women? No.

CALLER: I don't know the exact statistics, but quite a bit are, yeah.

BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don't know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don't know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don't think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

I've also realized something else. AM radio is where conspiracy theorists that can't read or write post. But there's still a big difference in the admittedly liberal dominated Internet and it's public discussion arenas and the corporate airwaves "moderated" by "authorities" and seemingly everyone convicted in Watergate. That being, one is just creepy.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The former Bush 41 Drug Czar's "Book of Virtues" is now on sale at a reduced rate.

Get it while it's, um, not hot at Amazon.com

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMORNING AMERICA!

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
A lot of the news agencies are now picking up on the story and of course the White House is distancing itself very quickly from Bennet.
For those who want to read up on what is available so far on the net news, here are a couple of links

Bennett: Black Abortions Would Lower Crime

White House criticizes Bennett for comments

Is this guy for real or just a real idiot? What century does he live in.
His "comments are very reminiscent of the Japanese Prime Minister a few years ago

In 1986, Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone remarked that the average American intellectual standard is lower than the average Japanese standard because of the blacks and Hispanics in the U.S. He has often said that the source of Japan's strength lies in its "racial homogeneity." Eleven years later, University of Texas Law School Professor Lino Graglia triggered a firestorm of criticism for his remarks that "Blacks and Mexican-Americans are not academically competitive with whites in selective institutions. It is the result primarily of cultural effects. They have a culture that seems not to encourage achievement. Failure is not looked upon with disgrace."

RACE & ETHNICITY

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The thing that is scary is that this people control our governmet. Cheny, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, etc. These are the people in power. the same cats who put all of their money on Ahmed Chalabi!

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
AM radio is where conspiracy theorists that can't read or write post. But there's still a big difference in the admittedly liberal dominated Internet and it's public discussion arenas and the corporate airwaves "moderated" by "authorities" and seemingly everyone convicted in Watergate.

That's a very interesting observation! I think you're on to something.

Originally posted by curme
The thing that is scary is that this people control our governmet. Cheny, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, etc. These are the people in power.

Now if you want to talk about a good case for abortion...

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
Is this guy for real or just a real idiot? What century does he live in.

You'd be surprised at how many people today still feel this way. It's only occasionally that one is daft enough to spurt his feelings in public ... and into a recorder.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It's amazing how you people fall for this.

It is a classic example of someone being taken out of context.

Here is Bill Bennett's side of it. Come on guys, have an open mind and stop drinking the Kool-aid.

newsbusters.org...

Now I know what General Honore means by "Stuck on Stupid" when referring to our media.

edit: I put a new link of Newsbusters showing how Bill Bennett was taken out of context. I originally had Bill Bennetts response as a link, but could not get it to work.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Your link leads to a very weird place. I want to see his side of the story.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
He certainly didn't phrase that well, but the long term effects of abortion on society and demographics is a very valid topic. I had my own thread on this here, but on politics rather than crime:

The Roe Effect: Is Abortion Killing the Left?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Taken out of context? he said in black and white for havens sake.

I love the way the Bush channel, "Pardon me" the Fox channel is defending the racist remark.

I tell you if you want to find some support to your favorite people in politics turn to Fox news they will always be there to defend the dirty, corrupt and racist even if they are swimming in pool of excrement.

Meanwhile the funny thing is that Fox even blame the Liberals for the words that Bennett accidentally said.

You have to love this people.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
What if it were changed to "abort every inner city poor baby"?
Or "every Single mother's baby?"
what would the effect be on the crime rate?

I guess conservatives need more instruction on choosing word wisely.
Lot's of Liberals, listening to Conservative Talk eh?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
What if it were changed to "abort every inner city poor baby"?
Or "every Single mother's baby?"
what would the effect be on the crime rate?

I was wondering the same thing. Then I realized he could have said "abort half the children" or "1/4 of the children". He doesn't have to bring race or economics into it at all.

And if you look at the site RANT listed above now, it's been updated to include his backpedling and trying to blame it on this other guy. Rush is in on the protection bandwagon too. Oh, yeah, I believe him!

The truth probably is that if we killed half the people in the world, the crime rate would go down. WTF kind of statement is that? I would hit someone in the head if they said that.

"Hey! I got a great way to reduce crime! Kill a bunch of people"! *tuesch*

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well,

I'm no aplologist for anyone who would make a statement like that, with intentional hurt, in mind..

But is it possible he was running the demographics in his head, and reduced it down to that statement?

high percentage of single mothers are black.
high percent of inner-city poor are also black.
and because a high percentage of criminals are born into poverty, or are products
of broken homes, Would aborting babies that could be born under those circumstances reduce the crime rate.

in a way, I think he was correct...demographically speaking..

Am I wrong, reducing it to that possibility?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Am I wrong, reducing it to that possibility?

I don't think you're wrong at all. I get that angle.

Any reduction in population (or future population) would reduce crime. And crime (at the level he's talking about, anyway) does occur more in some demographics than others.

If you check into the webpage, he claims he was using an idea from some other guy's book, but there seems to be some doubt as to whether that guy talked about race much at all, so I'm not sure that's true.

I think a history of Bennet's character and past statements regarding race and so on would be in order to fully convince me that this was a racist statement after all.

I mean, granted it was a really dumb thing to say, but it's possible that he didn't mean to equate crime with black people... although that's pretty hard to believe...

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Here is Rush Limbaughs response.

www.rushlimbaugh.com...

Since I cannot link Bennett's response for some reason. There is a link at the end of the Rush article.

It is titled (Statement By Bill Bennett, Sep. 30, 2005) and it is at the very end of the page.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
ok, well, after reading that, I'm sorry but it does sound like he's a racist!

He seems to think that people are upset because he suggested aborting a bunch of babies, not that he related black people to being criminals.

He keeps stressing that he said it would be morally reprehensible to do so! Like that's his defense. I don't think he gets it.

The truth is (Carseller) black people have a reputation of being the criminal element because of a certain amount of racism that continues to exist in the US today. NOT ALWAYS, but in many cases, a black man will get accused of a crime when a white man would not. A black man will get a harsher sentence than his white counterpart. Black people (sometimes due to racism) live in the poorer areas where certain kinds of crime are higher.

But just because there are more black people in jail doesn't necessarily mean that black people commit more crimes.

Here's a Great Article on this subject.

So, when Bennet equates black people with criminals, not only is he incorrect, it's a very bigoted statement.

And this isnt

Originally posted by Carseller4 "Stuck on Stupid"
speaking. This is education speaking.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
You guys getting all worked up about this should read Jonathon Swift's A Modest Proposal. This statement was in the same vein as that.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
You guys getting all worked up about this should read Jonathon Swift's A Modest Proposal. This statement was in the same vein as that.

I don't think anyone here is too worked up, perhaps a bit stunned that a public speaker of sorts would actually let this 'slip out' in a radio program. But my opinion of this guy isn't high enough for me to get 'worked up' about.

And that book is a satire. Again, I'm not offended at the 'abortion' suggestion Bennet made. I KNOW that was hypothetical. What I thought was shocking about his statement was his 'black people are criminals' insinuation.

Am I missing something?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Race, Crime and Violence in America is a very interesting read. This article is based on the Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) and the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). These two are the standard for gathering statistics, and are the sources everyone references when making any claims to race and crime in the United States. There's nothing sugar-coated about them. Just plain un-filtered facts.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But just because there are more black people in jail doesn't necessarily mean that black people commit more crimes.

So, when Bennet equates black people with criminals, not only is he incorrect, it's a very bigoted statement.

According to the FBI's statistics (UCR) Blacks are responsible for more murders than whites are. 5,729 vs. 5,132 (2003 statistics). This has nothing to do with the fact that Blacks make up only about 17% of population. This is not a political spin or a comparison or ratios. That's just a pure unfiltered number. You can dig into these statistics all you wish and you'll come up with the same opinion. Blacks commit more violent crimes than whites.

A few other key points taken from the FBI's statistics.

Blacks are as much more dangerous than whites as men are more
dangerous than women.

Blacks are twice as likely as whites to commit hate crimes.

Blacks commit violent crimes at four to eight times the white rate.

There is more black-on-white than black-on-black violent crime.

Would you be afraid of a group of unknown women approaching you? Probably not. What about white men? You might be a bit uneasy. What if a group of unknow black men approached you? Sure you'd be afraid and there's good reason for that fear. Statistics show that your chances for experiencing a violent crime have just soared through the roof. This is a fact, and not an assumption that you get from television. The FBI's statistics back up your fear and say you're probably right.

Bennet was making a hypothetical suggestion to mainly focus on the abortion issue. That's why he believes abortion to be the offending factor. Saying that the abortion of all black babies would lower the crime rate is not racist, or untrue. His assessment is based on hard facts. Should he have made that statement? Probably not, but you can't pull the racist card on this one.

A statement to abort all Palestinian children to stop Israeli bus bombings would be just as extreme. It would also be very true, but you can't make that kind of extreme measure to control an issue. You have to come at the problem from another angle. That's exactly what Bennet was trying to say.

Why can't people honestly discuss these issues without getting attacked? Bennet is by no measure a racist. Look at his past record of his and his wife's peronal community involvement. This is an issue that should be allowed on the discussion table. Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away. Back to Bennet's propostion, what can we do to fix these issues? Sweeping them under the rug doesn't help, and this is talk radio isn't it? What should they talk about on talk radio, if not important issues?

[edit on 1-10-2005 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You know Dbates you may be right in your reasoning, but the truth is that the way that Mr. Bennett's made his remarks make him sound racist.

I heard his statement and the first thing that came to mind was that, and at the moment I didn't even had an idea who in the heck he was.

Some things are better explain using a better choice of words, and let not forget who and how the blacks in our country are in the position they are now.

Their problems didn't started today or yesterday we all know their very hard, bloody and inhumane treatment.

But that is another story.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've actually done research, I mean actual academic, Illinois State backed research, on the root causes of crime, specifically why a disproportionate number of African Americans commit crime. I was offered a job with the DEA, but subsequently turned them down.

The actual truth, is that poor people commit crimes, more so in urban cities, and race doesn't really factor into it. It just happens to be that more black people, happen to be poor AND live in the cities.

What occured was during the industrial revolution, and it's after effects, more industries moved out of major cities. Over the course of the next hundred years or so, the African American children of slaves migrated from the deep south and moved north, AND had a short time of unrivaled economic prosperity.

But, once people began moving to the suburbs, industries followed, leaving our cities nothing more than economic shells. And, as legitimate sources of income disappeared for CITY DWELLERS, they were replaced by illegitmate sources of income. Gambling, alcohol, drugs, prostitution, etc, etc.

The real spike in the African American crime rates began in the late 70's and early 80's with the introduction of crack coc aine. A cheaper, easier to produce, easier to distribute alternate to both powdered coc aine and heroin. Crack become the number one source of income in the inner cities, and was the focal point for bloody turf wars between rival gangs.

As a side effect, the classes of drug dealers became stratified. More expensive powdered coc aine became more prevailant in the suburbs, and was distributed with less blood and less carnage. As a result, in the 80's, as part of America's new found WAR ON DRUGS, the mininum sentencing guidelines were changed, so that powdered coc aine, while having a higher street value, carried a lesser sentence when convicted.

Crack coc aine had a higher potency, but the actual "highs" were shorter, so the purchased quantities were naturally higher. As a result of this disparaging difference in mandatory sentencing guidelines, more emphasis was placed on inner city drug use as opposed to suburban drug use.

Basically, poor people could only afford drugs that came in high quantities, and thusly, placed them in a greater likelyhood of conviction, in terms of prison sentencing. And, because nearly three times the man power was used to stop drugs in the inner city, then in the suburbs, poor African Americans were disproportionately arrested and convicted of drug related crimes.

That's not to say that convicted African American drug users and dealers were innocent, just that had we concentrated as much law enforcement man power in the generally caucasian suburbs, the numbers would be nearly identical between Causasians and African Americans, and likewise, rich and poor.

As for Bill Bennets arguement, the correct wording would have been "Aborting drug users would drop crime". In its current form, framing the arguement the way that he did, is in fact racist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join