It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pete Doherty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'd be interested to read what peoples' opinions on Pete Doherty are here.

He's certainly an enigmatic character, with huge creative tallent that puts him at the front of the pack of current British rock stars, and also the well documented crack and heroin addictions, and everything that goes wih it, which makes you feel he could self destruct at any moment.

He seems to be in the tabloids on a daily basis, mostly for either his misdemeanours, or his on/off engagement to supermodel Kate Moss. Most people seem to have a tabloid fed opinion on the man, but without being familiar with the music he's been involved with.

Personally, I form my opinion on his music, after all he is a singer and musician, not a tabloid commodity. And I think his music is fantastic, the best of this decade, and he is a phenominal, riveting, engaging performer on stage too.

So what do you all reckon, smack-head loser, or troubled genius?

*some background info for if you're not familiar:
He was part of a group called The Libertines in the early part of this decade. They were widely hailed as the saviours of British rock, mixing classic punk sounds with an indie rock vibe, poetic lyrics, and anarchic live shows, and have paved the way for a new wave of excellent British bands. The Libertines self destructed in 2004 though, after 2 albums, mainly due to Pete's life style.

Ironically, of all the band mambers, it is Pete who has enjoyed the most post-Libertines success, with his new band Babyshambles. They've had 2 top ten singles, a triumphant Glastonbury appearance, and fervent adulation from fans - and thats without releasing an album.

Check these essential tracks on any download site: -
Libertines:
What A Waster
Up The Bracket
Time For Heroes
Don't Look Back Into The Sun
Cant Stand Me Now
What Became Of The Likely Lads?

BabyShambles:
Killamangiro
F*** Forever

Pete solo:
For Lovers

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
When he was in the Libertines, he had the world at his feet. Then it went downhill. I loved the Libertines. Babyshambles are pretty crap. I'm pretty pissed off with him and his Libertine-ruining antics

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Embarrasing moron. Should either reform the Libertines or overdose ASAP to save his reputation.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Pete Doherty is a person with a disease.
i feel really bad for him because he most likely cannot handle the life he leads. he takes drugs to free himself from the pain and humiliation that is in his life right now. i understand it is his fault because he made a fool of himself but i think he thinks this is the only way to block out the world. and tell me now what rock star hasnt taken drugs and made a fool of themselfs for years on end and then they finally die from OD.
also he is going out with one of the most famous supermodels of all time(kate moss), and her life is in the papers enough without him in the picture.
but sadly she has taken the same path and she is now in rehab. i give her respect that she went in there on her own accord. but the only person i feel sorry for is kate's little girl.
she has been brought up with a ,sorry to say this, but a junkie mother and the junkie mothers boyfriend.
i hope they all get over this and come out happy.

oni x x

top topics

join