It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Another" Fireball Spotted Over Florida Skies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is a completely separate incident from the other fireball over Florida story reported a few days ago here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This latest incident occurred tonight around 7pm eastern time. This is a subscription newspaper so I'm not sure how the link will work, so I'll copy most of the article here for you:

Fireball meteor lights up sky along Florida coast
Drivers from Miami Beach to Melbourne slowed to look up. People walking outside stopped in their tracks. And astronomers who missed it lamented the lost opportunity..

Around 7 p.m. tonight, what experts say was likely a meteor coasted through the dimming sky for a few seconds, producing what observers described as a large white flame with an elongated tail.

Initially, some thought it was an airplane crashing. After getting calls, Martin County deputies called aviation officials in Miami to verify that no plane was in distress.

Others began calling the National Weather Service's Miami office, meteorologist Barry Baxter said.

The flaming object likely was most visible near the line dividing Martin and Palm Beach counties, Baxter said. He said meteor sightings are more common in mid-August, during an astronomical event called the Perseid Meteor Shower.

Baxter is waiting for confirmation from NASA to determine exactly what it was.

Jack Horkheimer, director of the planetarium at the Miami Museum of Science, said that if the burst of flame was not part of a spacecraft re-entering the atmosphere, it was likely a ''sporadic fireball meteor,'' larger than those in periodic meteor showers.

''This one could've been from a baseball to a basketball-sized chunk of space rock that slammed into our Earth's atmosphere at a very high speed,'' said Horkheimer, who missed it because he came home from work a bit early.

``The friction of the atmosphere causes it to burn up and it probably disintegrated before it hit the ground.''

Horkheimer added that sporadic fireball meteors enter the Earth's atmosphere daily but they aren't sighted often because the space chunks float down during daylight, over uninhabited areas, or while people are sleeping.

''This occurred during late rush-hour traffic when a lot of people are still outside,'' he said. ``The timing was right for human perception in South Florida.''

Just thought it was fascinating and somewhat coincidental to have two "meteor" sightings over Florida in the recent week.

[edit on 9-29-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
found another link to the story along with a video link of news coverage of the event

Fireball lights up South Florida sky

other local coverage:
Sporadic Meteor Lights Up South Florida Skies

btw I missed it, didn't see it at all.

[edit on 9-29-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Seems very odd that there were two, in relatively the same location, within a few days of each other. Moreover, it is also interesting that NASA is interested.

Hmmm...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This is very odd to say the least WW. Both reports happening over Florida in one week. Please notice the similarities of the reports.

Report 1
From Fort Pierce to about five miles south of Jacksonville, reports came in to Coast Guard offices starting about 7:30 p.m., said Dan Yates, a Coast Guard petty officer in Port Canaveral. 9-20-05

Report 2
From Fort Lauderdale to Cape Canaveral people called the National Weather Service reporting the bright orange orb.Around 7 p.m. tonight.

This is just too strange that this has not been reported anywhere else in the U.S.. Several Pilots reported seeing this one.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm definitely paying attention to the skies now. If a third one is witnessed, especially within the next week and around 7pm or so, then I'd say something else is going on.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
bummer. I wonder if this is similar to the fireballs that are a sign of weather engineering.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...
some of what Bearden said to look for

I live in Florida and with both this year's and last year's storms noticed that some of what Bearden said were signatures seem to be occuring. Last year, I noticed an unusual spiked cloud pattern, never seeing that before, and told my wife, hey, that looks like one of the things this guy on the internet said were indications of weather war.

Right after that, there was a slew of hurricanes which oddly followed very similar paths, 2 almost exactly the same path.

Another signature to look for are fireballs in the sky, and just this week, a massive unexplained fireball was seen.

My hope is the USA is on to this and working to combat it, if real, but my concern is the government and military isn't even aware of the capabilities in this regard, much less actually taking notice that an impossible hurricane, forming south of the equator occurred last year, and never seen before, and that perhaps last year's hurricanes and the one in Brazil were tests to see if we would notice the weapons systems in effect.

I am not sure if we even noticed it.

It may be the efforts to bury technology has been so successful in the West and US, that our scientists are essentially brainwashed about fundamental capabilities.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Actually this is not too uncommon. rouge meteors hit the atmosphere all the time. Specifically at 1 per hour on any given day. However meteors of this size happen on average of once a month. It could have eaisly been a large meteor (size of basket ball) and broken up by gravational forces in space and the trajectory of the two objects changed to that of incoming earth.
Surely it is odd that they happend at about the same time and it is indeed strange to see this happen so closely together.

ON average 1,000 TONS of space debris enters the earths atmosphere each day. Most meteors that hit the atmosphere end up at about a magnitude of 1 to 4. AT about 7:00 pm it is dusk and a visible meteor whould have to be atleast 0 magnitude. Bright meteors of 0 magnitude or -1 magnituded LAst much longer than your regular meteors simply bceause of the size of the object and the ammout of friction it creates with the atmosphere.

We are approaching the peak of the Orionid meteor shower which is schechulded to reach its maximum intensity on October 20th. Generaly the ORionind peak betweek October 8th and 25th so it could be connected.... (actualyl Skywatch.com is reporting that it will last from october 2nd to the 29th! this year)

The Orionids are greated by Debris of Comet Halley. THe comet last passed in 1986 which was close to 20 years ago. It would not be supprising if these were simply just big chunks left by it on its last pass seince it is still early in its cycle. THe next aproach is in 2061.

THats my scientific deduction....

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Mizar]

[edit on 30-9-2005 by Mizar]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Two words:

Iridium Flare.

That's my guess... Let me do some digging. Expect to find out whether I'm right or wrong in about 20 minutes.

EDIT:
Well, I was close. There was an Iridium Flare in Miami Beach that night, but just after 9 PM local time.

[edit on 9/30/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I would have aggreed because of the timing cmdrkeenkid. Dusk is the proper time for thoes.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
[edit on 30-9-2005 by glan]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
To let you know what the wittnesses in Florida might have seen I found this video known as the Peekskill fireball from October 9, 1992, that event was recorded by spectators of a football match in the United States by pure chance. In fact it was the first video record of a meteorite fall, where the corresponding object was found later: the meteorite crashed into the trunk of a car. Peekskill Video

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Harry55]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Three were spotted at at my place in Florida last night. They were all near Mars and spotted after 9pm.

Anyone know what the source of these, there aren't any meteor showers this time of the year that I know about and all were very bight and lasted a few seconds.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Three were spotted at at my place in Florida last night. They were all near Mars and spotted after 9pm.

Anyone know what the source of these, there aren't any meteor showers this time of the year that I know about and all were very bight and lasted a few seconds.

REad my big post above. I speculate that they are part of the Orionid meteor shower.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I haven't seen an intense meteor shower since I was 10. If what we have been seeing is the Orinoids then we are in for a show!

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get some pics to share of the show.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I live in Florida and one day my nieghbor, son and myself saw a very unusual light or perhaps fireball, but it was different than the one in the video.

It was very white like the moon, about a third to a quarter of it's dimension in the sky, and was travelling very fast. It got smaller and looked like it just disappeared in a cloud, but perhaps it was a meteor and just flamed out.

It did leave a dust cloud sort of in it's wake, as if dropping bits and pieces of particles floating down, which were lit up, and but sort of slowly falling or something.

It was huge, moving very fast. I've never seen any video or anything like it before.

new topics

top topics

join