It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: State Department Report Finds Negative Image Of U.S Overseas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
A report commissioned by the U.S State Department has found the US has a negative image. The report was conducted by a nine member committee and was headed by ex-Secretary of State Colin Powell's Chief of Staff. The report lists hostility towards the U.S's foreign policy including the occupation of Iraq, the Abu Ghraib abuse scandal and the handling of detainees at Bagram and Guantanamo Bay. The prevailing view is that "America is less a beacon of hope than a dangerous force to be countered" according to the report.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - As Karen Hughes works to repair the United States' image in a trip overseas, her State Department colleagues have received a report underscoring how tough a task she faces.

Based on their own travels to the Persian Gulf, Egypt and Britain, a nine-member advisory committee headed by former Secretary of State Colin Powell's chief of staff found widespread hostility toward the United States and its policies, especially the U.S. occupation of Iraq.

"For what can be heard around the world, in the wake of the invasion of Iraq, the prisoner abuse scandal at Abu Ghraib, and the controversy over the handling of detainees at Bagram and Guantanamo Bay, is that America is less a beacon of hope than a dangerous force to be countered," the report said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think Karen Hughes has her work cut out for her. Being the P.R officer for the United States, at this point in time, is not a position I envy.

Inevitably there will be people who will dismiss even a State Department report into just how negative a view people have of the United States over its recent foreign policy decisions. The wiser amongst Americans actually do acknowledge there is a problem, and in light of Katrina, realise that its not the rest of the World who are misguided afterall.

[edit on 29/9/05 by subz]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
How much money did the State Department spend on that. Someone needs to send them a link to abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
LOL!
next we will get reports like
"NASA discover the the sun rises in the east" or
"The federal committe on land ownership have discovered that America does not own the world".

I love it, I wonder what sort of comments the report recieved.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I suspect if they performed a domestic study, they would find a similar trend at home. Some of us yanks have just as pessimistic view of "our" government as anyone else.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
So who was the person that did the research for this report? Captain Obvious?

I didn't like the Country once I found out people vote for a guy that claims God talks to him. I was a Republican at one time, I'm neither now. That's another story.

Also, could it be how we just piss on the worlds door steps? We are the kid on the block that puts dog doo in a bag, sets it on fire and rings your door bell and giggles while ya stomp on it. Too many Egotistical Americans, they think we are better then other countries, for reasons I can't see. We didn't when the World Wars or the such. THe only hope this country has is for the person that finds a cure for cancer and AIDS to have been born here. That might help us, oh ya, and give out the cure for free instead of charging 5,000 Dollars for a shot (I know that's what, 2 Euro's these days?)

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Now Mr_Durden everyone knows that you have to get people with advanced degrees to author studies like this or else it doesn't mean anything.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Im glad people see this as self evident considering the bun fight other threads sharing the same sentiment brought about. What happend to studies are worthless or non-representative of "true" World sentiment? A sea change in opinion or its only correct when the American government says its correct?

The question is, will Karen Hughes be as effective as a bandaid on a slashed carotid artery? I think she is doomed to be honest and that the PTB just dont care. They'll wheel in a democratic administration in 2008, denounce the Bush administration and welcome the World back with open arms. Just like a corny Hallmark movie...

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Boy this is as much an appropriate use of government funds, as the CDC study on the epidemic of obesity in West Virginia

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Part of the painful cluelessness of the Bush Administration (other than the fact that they had to have a study done to find out the obvious, an obvious that they have amply contributed to) is their Brand America campagin of which Hughes is the current public face. If the product is the same old garbage, new packaging won't do a thing. It might work for McDonalds or Microsoft, there are always new customers coming along....but America has way too long of a history of a manuilpitation that specifically runs contrary to its avowed principles for other nations and people to be fooled. After all most of the world has a longer attention span than a sit-com, and people remember, just like they will remember Iraq. The sad thing is I have talked repeatedly to people from latin America, Africa, the Middle-East and Asia and to a person, they love America and its people, its our government and its policies they dispise.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
dont be offended, this is not my personal opinion, but this is some of the genral consensus of the, US in the UK,

you've alowed your goverments to destroy democracy,
Bush v John Kerry, 322 are you serious?
your all fat, and Arrogant,
your destrying the planet more than any other country,
you use capital punisment,
gunslingers, who just adore guns,
you hate black ppl,
and you think America is the centre of the universe, who can get away with anything they want,
most of your population live in a disney style fantasy world of make believe
that allows your government officials to get away with Murder on its own ppl,

some of this may sound a bit harsh to some Americans, your not liked!

me personaly, ok this maybe only sterio type jargon, but its kind of worrying to see the growing dissatisfaction and aborant sentiments pionted towards America, but sadly it is happening.

all the best

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Interesting coming from a monarchy,
whose people are all rotund, polite, but with really bad teeth,
and have to stop every few minutes for tea...

Woo hoo! Isn't stereotyping fun?

You suppose we Americans don't realize that we aren't always beloved across the globe? Amazingly though, with all of our foibles, we can't seem to even beat away those trying to get in....

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamian
all the best

Thats the best part of that whole rant "You guys hella suck, but got nothing but love for you"

Man talk about getting sucked in to the sterotyping :shk: If America is so repugnant as you suggest, do explain the adoption of its culture just about everywhere?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Thats the best part of that whole rant "You guys hella suck, but got nothing but love for you"

Man talk about getting sucked in to the sterotyping :shk: If America is so repugnant as you suggest, do explain the adoption of its culture just about everywhere?

How have they adopted our culture? Is more and more of their population becoming obese? Or are they buying the biggest vehicle they can find, that can well, burn more fuel then a burning Kuwaite Oilfield?

I think people would like America if we had voted out Bush, I despised Kerry as much as I do Bush, we should have done a write in for a Tickle-Me-Elmo doll, at least it's cute and has more brains then the current adminstration. I think the only reason people hate America now is because of Bush, he has done more damage to this country then another "Terrorist" attack could do. He has destroyed our relations with several countries, he's done severe economical damage to this country. But he's good though right, he's a good Christian.

Funny how good of a Christian one becomes when they run for office.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
how long did it take for them to figure that out?!!??!
EVERYONE overseas hates the US

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamian
dont be offended, this is not my personal opinion, but this is some of the genral consensus of the, US in the UK,

you've alowed your goverments to destroy democracy,
Bush v John Kerry, 322 are you serious?
your all fat, and Arrogant,
your destrying the planet more than any other country,
you use capital punisment,
gunslingers, who just adore guns,
you hate black ppl,
and you think America is the centre of the universe, who can get away with anything they want,
most of your population live in a disney style fantasy world of make believe
that allows your government officials to get away with Murder on its own ppl,

some of this may sound a bit harsh to some Americans, your not liked!

me personaly, ok this maybe only sterio type jargon, but its kind of worrying to see the growing dissatisfaction and aborant sentiments pionted towards America, but sadly it is happening.

all the best

yeah i agree with you, i'm almost the polar opposite of bush's policy's, and im and american

new topics

top topics

join